Quantcast

Anyone used the IMBA Subaru discount?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
What if you're going there saying "I'm eligible for this discount in a couple months, but I want to buy now and take XXX car off the lot. If you'll give me the IMBA price now, I'll take it, otherwise I'll go elsewhere or just wait."

Any shot of getting anywhere with that?
The thing that most people just don't "get" with VanBortel is, the price on the car is the price you pay. It's like going to Target and buying a shirt. If it's on sale, you get it cheaper. If you have a coupon, you use it. Otherwise you pick the one you want, they ring it up, and you pay for it.

Until you've been there and experienced it, you have no idea how refreshing of a way it is to buy a car.

Or you could spend 3 days bitching and arguing and getting lied to and talked down to at another dealership, only to come out with the same (or worse) deal.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
The thing that most people just don't "get" with VanBortel is, the price on the car is the price you pay. It's like going to Target and buying a shirt. If it's on sale, you get it cheaper. If you have a coupon, you use it. Otherwise you pick the one you want, they ring it up, and you pay for it.

Until you've been there and experienced it, you have no idea how refreshing of a way it is to buy a car.

Or you could spend 3 days bitching and arguing and getting lied to and talked down to at another dealership, only to come out with the same (or worse) deal.
That does sound good. They don't have the car I want, however (at least not the color).

I'm guessing that a dealer that has the exact car I want will be more willing to negotiate to get it off his/her lot?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Good deal. Think there's any chance of getting anything further off of it or is that just being greedy?
I'd say you'd be pushing it. It's not like Subaru has a hard time selling cars.

Again, if you are doing a trade in, make sure you negotiate that first before mentioning the IMBA discount, otherwise they could try to get some of their money back by lowballing you on your trade in.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Did you get another specials, Babs? Currently, Subaru's offering $1,000 and lower finance rates. So, either way I play it, IMBA or not, the price should land within a few hundred of invoice.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I'm guessing that a dealer that has the exact car I want will be more willing to negotiate to get it off his/her lot?
No. But they will talk to you for hours on end, until you are confused or you are convinced you must be getting a good deal.

VanBortel can get you any color you want within a few days.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
No. But they will talk to you for hours on end, until you are confused or you are convinced you must be getting a good deal.

VanBortel can get you any color you want within a few days.
They seem to be about 1500 different in price, but aren't offering the cash back/lower finance rates that Subaru is advertising :confused: Unless they gave a lot more for my trade-in, I'm not sure that the price difference would be that substantial.

Question: Does a car's invoice price vary by region, or is it the same nationally? In other words, if I find a price on Edmunds that says invoice, is that the true invoice price?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
They seem to be about 1500 different in price, but aren't offering the cash back/lower finance rates that Subaru is advertising :confused: Unless they gave a lot more for my trade-in, I'm not sure that the price difference would be that substantial.

Question: Does a car's invoice price vary by region, or is it the same nationally? In other words, if I find a price on Edmunds that says invoice, is that the true invoice price?

Factory rebates should be the same at all dealers. Call them if you have doubts.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Without a trade-in?

How?
Buy an SUV with a big ass mark up... I guess.

I just bought an outback wagon, my tact was to walk around the lot and find the LOWEST MSRP and then ask for the highest "rebate". I am not sure if I got a good deal or not - I paid $20,700.00 for a base model with a standard transmission. I used my 2005 Ford Ranger (Edge trim level) with less than 25,000 miles on it for a $12,800.00 down payment. The truck was paid for and I used my credit union to finance a total balance of $13,000 including tax, license and interest.

For me it worked...

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
My dealership was the same way - the price was in the window, nothing was on "sale" and all the incentives where listed on a menu board. I did note that all the cars where priced below MSRP, didn't seem to matter what model or what trim level.

I didn't test drive either - I'd already driven plenty and have heard many, many excellent reviews. My mind was made up before I walked onto the lot. :)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I wouldn't worry about it - just do your math and check out the dealership where ECHO bought his. Sometimes the deal thats posted is the best one you can get.

I can guarantee that no dealership is going to sell a car without making a few bucks. If they are and you know it then they are probably going to make up for it in a low ball trade or finance trickery.

I say inform yourself on what your car is really worth as a trade-in, find the best financing you can and then go to the dealership that has a great rep and a willingness to treat you right.

When I bought my car I was very pleased with the service and low pressure approach. I was not pleased with their finance deal so I went through the motions and got them to put it all on paper, which I signed. I then went to my credit union showed them the deal and got 1 point lower in interest due to my high equity trade and decent credit. They used my papers as a purchase order, cut a check and I went back to the dealership and had them shred the initial contract. All very civil and only took about 2 hours.

To me, not sitting at a dealership all day id worth a few hundred!

My advice... go for the wagon, the sport is too small in back. :)

Jeeze - I just typed an entire essay and double posted it. When I went to delete one of the posts both went away!!!

The short answer is no - go the Echo's dealership, where there is one good deal there are bound to be others!

And... get the wagon. The sport doesn't look as nice. :)

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Thanks!

The only problem is that Echo's dealership is about 5- 5.5 hours away. I've been emailing the internet salesman (they claim to be at invoice, but their prices are still above) and have gotten a number (minus trade in) to use for leverage where I live.

I drove the new Outback thinking that was what I wanted, but I definitely like the zippy acceleration and the less tanky feel of the Sport. I'm a commuter during the week, don't have kids or large pets and rarely go on trips where I'd need more space. In about 10 years, however, I'm guessing it'll be the perfect car for where I'm at.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Sounds good, SM

I'm having trouble finding the actual invoice price of the car. Everyone's varies slightly and so does Edmonds? Any idea where to find it?
Only the dealership has the invoice for THAT particular car. The invoice can vary a little $50-100 or so depending on the time of year the vehicle was manufactured, varying options and what not. Edmunds and KBB.com are accurate within $50-100.

$100 difference will amount to about a $1.80-$2 in a 60 month payment cycle. Don't sweat over it when you are buying a 25k vehicle.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
If you read the IMBA dealio a little closer you'll note that Asshat participation is specifically excluded. You're going to have to settle for a Kia Rio... :)

BYW I have averaged 30 MPG for the first 3,000 miles in the wagon. That was is a nice bonus.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I negotiated the trade-in first and got the best BB value. After all was signed and done, the dealer mentioned that they can't give a high trade-in value and the IMBA discount. The trade-in is based on another number (more wholesale). I still made out better than the discount in the end.