Quantcast

Anyone using *.flac ?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
does iPod support FLAC?

anyway, if you are super anal about yr music, have high quality earbuds, and drive space is not a problem, sure, go FLAC. i find that 192 kbps at VBR (variable bit rate) works fine.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
I think pretty much the only reason to use lossless is if you have loads of disk space and really don't want to rip your cds ever again.
Mp3 and the other lossy formats are good enough that most people can't tell the difference.

rvlacich

Chimp
Jan 18, 2004
Maryland, USA
I purchased a legitimate Metallica concert online in FLAC because it was like $2 more than mp3. However, I only use cheapo speakers at my computer and I use my Etys with an iPod, so I just converted it to 192 kbps VBR mp3 and let those FLAC files disappear into some deep crevice of my hard drive.

I'll agree with Narlus and add that every piece of your audio setup better be perfect if you want to reap the benefits of FLAC.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
I can tell, mp3's sound like garbage. Lo-Fi garbage. Why would you buy an ipod for thousands if it's just gonna sound like garbage??

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
ioscope said:
I can tell, mp3's sound like garbage. Lo-Fi garbage. Why would you buy an ipod for thousands if it's just gonna sound like garbage??
that's kinda like saying "Beer sucks".

there are different ways to make beer, as there are different ways to make (and listen to) mp3s.

and do iPods really cost thousands now? wow.