Quantcast

Anyone using funky bars? (xpost)

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
So I got a cross bike this year and i'm using it 70%/30% road/off road.
I'm running some 42cm bars and they feel mighty narrow to me, coming off my wide risers on my MTBs.
So i'm shopping for some new bars and I see that lots of mtber who cross ride "strange" bars with atypical shapes & bends for road bars.

Like the Nitto Randonneur Handlebar, or the On-One Midge.
Anyone running these, or anything like 'em?
What do you like about them? Why are you running them?

Any feedback is appreciated....

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Mackie said:
So I got a cross bike this year and i'm using it 70%/30% road/off road.
I'm running some 42cm bars and they feel mighty narrow to me, coming off my wide risers on my MTBs.
So i'm shopping for some new bars and I see that lots of mtber who cross ride "strange" bars with atypical shapes & bends for road bars.

Like the Nitto Randonneur Handlebar, or the On-One Midge.
Anyone running these, or anything like 'em?
What do you like about them? Why are you running them?

Any feedback is appreciated....
For a cross bike alot of people like bars a tad wider than for road. The extra leverage helps on rough terrain.

To measure:
Take a ribbon type tape measure and have someone measure your shoulders from the back, from the pointy part that juts out at the highest outside point of your shoulder blade. Not the very outside of your shoulders. This is your bar width. Go about 2 - 4 centimeters more than this for a cross bike.

My favorite are the Ritchy cross bars. Nice and wide with a good flat area that is almost MTN bike style for handling on trails. Not too deep in the drops.