Quantcast

Anyone using MET-RX? plus lift & ride

1) Doing the MET-RX nutritional protien mix/workout plan.
2) Lifting free weights
3) Riding my xc on road
4) Riding/race Downhill
5) Sleep 7 to 8 hrs nightly...Work Desk job 8hrs daily(on ridemonkey 2hrs there).
Goals:
Short term: drop my flab...get strong...improve Downhill race power/control.

Long Term: ....be in the best shape ever for spring 2005 Downhill race season.

I'm on my 5th week of MET-RX (3 shakes daily 240 cal ea.) and Cal counting (1500-1600 cal daily a week) then changing to (1600-1750 cal daily the following week). I lift free weights for 1 hour lower body 2 days a week, upper 2 days a week, abs 2 days a week, and rest one day(no exercise and eat a reward meal not going over 3,000cal that one day).
I ride road on my XC for 1hr the day following my lower body workout. It is taking alot more effort than before to get my heart rate into my target range (140 to 160).
I also ride Downhill 1 to 2 times a week for 1 to 2 hrs.
I'm gaining muscle definition, strength and endurance. I've lost 18 to 20 lbs of flab and my pants are getting baggy. But still need to lose my spare tire!

The whole effort is to get my Downhill racing a boost and look/feel better.
Somedays I feel great and can power through a my local (semi-flat) Downhill course....but some days I'm just drained.

lately whatever group I lift is sore/tight for about 2 days

Anyone else used MET-RX ....ups? downs?
What am I doing wrong? .......

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
If it's taking more effort than before to reach your target HR, you might be overdoing the exercise frequency. That's usually a symptom of overtraining, but I'm no expert.

I'm down 10lbs to 175 in the last 5 weeks myself, and I was at 195lbs last May. I use Designer Whey protein mix. I haven't started lifting again yet, that's beginning next week for me. Just cardio (not counting situps and pushups), 40-60 minutes for 5-6 days a week, and half my calories from protein. Getting enough protein has been the hardest part for me, I'm barely making the gram per pound of bodyweight recommendation, and I know I've lost a little muscle over the last few months. I haven't been hungry at all though, eating 5-6 meals per day and shooting for 2,000 calories, a 1,000 calorie daily deficit for me. And I've been losing exactly 2lbs a week. Still have that beergut to get rid of though.

There are tons of articles on every aspect of health at www.bodybuilding.com, I find it to be a good resource. The have a few on overtraining, and lots of workout plans. It's a good idea to mix up your routine pretty often. You say you do upper and lower 2x a week. Have you considered breaking that down to more specific muscle groups?

I'm following the Body Sculpting Bible for Men by Villepigue & Rivera.
I used the terms upper & lower body as a generalization. The book has the groups broken down and change exercises and intensity every two weeks.

I have a question about workout recovery before a Downhill race.....
Lets say my race is on a Saturday....Should I stop my workouts on Wed, and take a easy ride/stretch on Thurs? No workout, but maybe stretch on Friday?
How is anyone else doing it?

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
Your workout frequency sounds ok to me, if you're actually sticking by it, spreading out the weights among the different muscle groups throughout the week is ideal.

If you're experiencing muscle soreness, and an overall "drained" feeling, one thing to look out for is dehydration. When you're working out this much, and as active as you are in the summer it becomes very easy to become dehydrated. Make sure you're pounding a few litres of water a day, and I've really found a Gatorade after a run really gets my hydration back on track and actually relieves muscle tension.

Sounds like you're doing well so far, keep it up!

urbanhuckbot

Monkey
May 28, 2004
HILLA-GO-RILLA said:
lately whatever group I lift is sore/tight for about 2 days

What am I doing wrong? .......
work each muscle group once a week, you will be sore for about 2 days if you are lifting intensly enough, supplements like glutamine are good and of course protein shakes rock.
example:
monday: squats/deadlifts
tuesday: rest/ride
wednesday: bench press/military press
thrusday: rest/ride
friday: lat pulldowns/bent rows
sat and sun: rest/ride

congratulations! you have just worked every major muscle group in your body, now go eat some meat......$50 please.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
What's happening, Hilla? Long time, huh. Have you been racing any of the DHes this year? Haven't seen your name in the few results I've checked out. And how's the bike?

Keep in mind that fat distribution is largely genetic and often times your trouble spot (in this case your handles) only subsides when you get really low on bodyfat.

Also, considering your posted exercise sched, keep in mind that traditional bodybuilding-ish workouts (which I suspect is what you're doing) will leave you sore. Try cutting your weight training volume in half (particularly the rep count) and focus on moving the weight quicker on the positive portion of the lift. This will still build/maintain strength but not deplete your muscles and leave you as sore.

Met-Rx is just high protein food, no better/worse than many of their competitors. I personally use Biotest's Grow because I like the taste and company, but that's purely subjective.

JeffD said:
What's happening, Hilla? Long time, huh. Have you been racing any of the DHes this year? Haven't seen your name in the few results I've checked out. And how's the bike?
JD....put that BMX'er up on the wall and get the DH put together and come ride! You need to ride at least one DH this year.
I've done all the MAXXIS Series to date (missed only one)

Snowshoe Nationals....10th in sport ---Sick of riding a race ..instead of racing a race!!!! So started training again hoping to feel like I've put forth the effort by the finals.

The bike is super sweet...and will suit me for next season.....starting now to be physically ready by next spring.