Quantcast

Anyone using ZTR Freeride Rims?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
TheMontashu said:
I don't know but there was the XC one in the LBS that was shaterd, sanjuro can conferm
This is a rarity, but TheMontashu is right!!!

A friend rode his NoTubes rims for about a year before having it blow up when pumped from 40psi (the recommended max) to the insane pressure of:

45psi

Stan himself strongly recommended never pumping his rims over 40 (he described his rims as "race rims"). Can't say that I am impressed..

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
The ZTR rims aren't out yet. I have a set on order and will post a full review of them on Transcend when they come in and I get some riding on them.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
sanjuro said:
Stan himself strongly recommended never pumping his rims over 40 (he described his rims as "race rims"). Can't say that I am impressed..
lol, i love the 'it's a race component' term, freqently used to describe a fragile, non-durable or extreme high-maintenence item which is somehow justifiable under that context.....

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Stan sent us a set to test and they do look promising.
they are crazy light Not DH by Monkey terms,Race or fr they could be great.
That tiny sidewall hook area is indeed tiny.If it did get damaged it may crush flat against the rim.
The shape of the cross section is stellar IMO.
The weld is left alone like an ARROW, way cool.
They look suprisingly similar to an Arrow DHX,same finish,weld,and similar shape. :heart:
I want some for my fr/trail bike.Wider and lighter than a 721.

The XC rims he made were crazy light,as in pro race day only.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
leprechaun said:
Stan sent us a set to test and they do look promising.
they are crazy light Not DH by Monkey terms,Race or fr they could be great.
That tiny sidewall hook area is indeed tiny.If it did get damaged it may crush flat against the rim.
The shape of the cross section is stellar IMO.
The weld is left alone like an ARROW, way cool.
They look suprisingly similar to an Arrow DHX,same finish,weld,and similar shape. :heart:
I want some for my fr/trail bike.Wider and lighter than a 721.

The XC rims he made were crazy light,as in pro race day only.
From the world of road racing, it is always dangerous to market superlight equipment as anything but.

For example, they do make superlight clinchers (for the road, under 200 grams), but it is clearly advertised as superlight, in other words, its your ass if it flats or blows so choose wisely. On the other hand, the standard "race" tires weight 220-240 grams, and are durable enough to train on.

Everyone wants to advertise the lightest, most durable products, but reality is you take a little you have to give a little.

Oct 1, 2001
Michigan
SuspectDevice said:
The ZTR rims aren't out yet. I have a set on order and will post a full review of them on Transcend when they come in and I get some riding on them.
You sure? I spoke with Stans last week and was told that they had 50+ of the DH version ready to ship.

Dusty Bottoms

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Santa Monica
A friend of mine had his xc rim explode on a ride and it blew off a six inch section of rim. Not cool. That said, and Stan's miserable disc debut, I think I'll let someone else guinea pig his "freeride" rim.

I do love his tire juice tho! Stick to one thing Stan.....like Heinz(sorta)does.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
sanjuro said:
From the world of road racing, it is always dangerous to market superlight equipment as anything but.

For example, they do make superlight clinchers (for the road, under 200 grams), but it is clearly advertised as superlight, in other words, its your ass if it flats or blows so choose wisely. On the other hand, the standard "race" tires weight 220-240 grams, and are durable enough to train on.

Everyone wants to advertise the lightest, most durable products, but reality is you take a little you have to give a little.
Didn't eric say no at work posting?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Looks like an interesting competitor for the Sun Singletrack.
I won't be the first to try them though. I don't think Stans really "gets" hardcore riding.

I'm eager to see the initial reviews.

-rob

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
rpet said:
Looks like an interesting competitor for the Sun Singletrack.
I won't be the first to try them though. I don't think Stans really "gets" hardcore riding.

I'm eager to see the initial reviews.

-rob
single tracks are quite a bit heavier, i think the 823s would be a closer comparison. Also i wonder if they include the weight of whatever strip they use to plug the spoke holes, they dont say anything about it.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Sorry - I meant regular Singletracks, which are only 45-50 gm heavier... :)

-r

zedro said:
single tracks are quite a bit heavier, i think the 823s would be a closer comparison. Also i wonder if they include the weight of whatever strip they use to plug the spoke holes, they dont say anything about it.

Oct 1, 2001
Michigan
SuspectDevice said:
OOH, I guess I have some new stuff coming then!?
Hopefully the guy new what was up and you'll be stylin' the ZTR's soon :thumb: I'm pretty much set on giving them a try as well.

To Zedro's question - the weight listed does not include the rim strip. With it the rim weighs-in at around 615g, according to Stans.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
TheMontashu said:
Didn't eric say no at work posting?
1. Today is my day off. You come into the shop so often I thought you were stalking me. I guess I was wrong if you don't know what days I work.

2. Eric is the owner of the shop, but I am the boss of me. Haha, I've always wanted to say that!

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
sanjuro said:
1. Today is my day off. You come into the shop so often I thought you were stalking me. I guess I was wrong if you don't know what days I work.

2. Eric is the owner of the shop, but I am the boss of me. Haha, I've always wanted to say that!
O I am stalking you, look out your window

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
TheMontashu said:
O I am stalking you, look out your window
Hey, I know you are not outside. I live in San Francisco, and you're not old enough to take BART by yourself. Or is that you don't reach the line that says "If you are not this tall, you cannot go on this ride"?

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
sanjuro said:
Hey, I know you are not outside. I live in San Francisco, and you're not old enough to take BART by yourself. Or is that you don't reach the line that says "If you are not this tall, you cannot go on this ride"?
i can ride bart by myself and you are about as tall as me