Quantcast

Anyone wanna run pegs on their 20mm fork? Check this out...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
STUMBLED onto this so I just had to do it! Don't know if I need it or not, but what the hell, right? For all I know, this is as common as using a chain to motivate a bicycle, but I've never seen it...of course, never looked, either...
Anywho...
This came to me toaday while I was at work. I weld, therefore my brain can just wander around aimlessly as I drone to the glorious buzz. I was thinking I could make a 20mm chunk of aluminum(so I didn't have to trash the thru axle on my Z1 Sport and have it not work), mill it down and bore it out to handle an axle that I could mount a peg or some kind of grind guard on. Slip off a skinny or miss aim a hop and it trashes everything concrete can reach. So, while I'm thinking of this it dawns on me that I have an old school QR 20mm axle. Hell, it's already bored out AND 20mm! I get home, dig it out, find the drill I'll need to simply drill and tap it rather than slip an axle through and then find a way to hold one end and plus I'd have to make a peg big enough to stuff a socket down into and I don't want a Coke can on my axle. What do you know...the drill bit required slides perfectly into the pre-existing hole! WTF? Grab the tap, dig in some threads on both sides and it's done. 5 minutes and I have pegs on my 20mm! I think it's cool. The peg is probably useless, but a nice smooth grind plate/guard is very welcome. Tomorrow I'll weld up a slide plate and a guard to keep from hitting the knobs and spokes(who puts knobs on the bottom of a fork and why???). AND I'll get paid $18 an hour to do it! Sweet...
I have no idea if this will hold. Hardened steel bolt in soft aluminum with the peg providing lots of leverage. May just rip the threads right out, may damage the fork, may break a whole side of the lowers off, I don't know. We'll find out!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Oh, and the existing hole IS slightly larger than the required drill(doesn't take much to be larger), so I strongly reccomend you stick with corse threads as they dig a little deeper. Can always drill the hole out to the next bigger size and tap that as well. Will make a stronger mount.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
fork should be ok but i bet if you gring on alum it grabs and will start to pull thread out. steel works a lot better.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Ever though of making a grind guard for the underside of the fork leg ? If you weld and have access to stainless sheet it's pretty easy . these work almost as good as a full size peg.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
What do you mean, "grind on aluminum"??? The pegs are steel. And actually, I won't be keeping the pegs, it was just too easy so I had to do it. I'm fabbin up some sliders with "cutting board" or polyethylene or whatever the self lubricating plastic stuff from slaughter houses is called.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Ever though of making a grind guard for the underside of the fork leg ? If you weld and have access to stainless sheet it's pretty easy . these work almost as good as a full size peg.

Yeah, kinda doing that now. I actually emailed you once about yours, but you never got back to me. Don't worry, I don't think it was intentional, I had a bunch of questions in one email. Do you sell yours, or did you just make them up yourself?

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
i was thinking of getting a plastic peg from demolition or waiting for the odyssey plegs and cutting it down to the size of a profile tofu peg and messing with that.

was digging around np site. anson welli's setup

edit he also runs pegs

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Yep, that's them. Mine look a LOT like it, but axles not as burly, and there's a plate that sticks out the side more to HOPEFULLY protect the fork better. How'd you guys do your axle?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
You're not mistaken. That's them.
I may have screwed up here though... I keep thinking Evil4bc is Brad... but you're our E13 man, aren't ya', Evil? If so, then it wasn't YOU that I emailed about those grind guards, huh? My bad...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
WestCoast, you kiss-ass!
Alright, glad that's stright! Sorry about the mix up, Brad. So who's our local E13 boy? Can't remember his user name...
Anyway, may grind plate project worked out well, but I sold the setup already. Go figure. So, now I'm back to square one... here's some pics: The rear slide plates worked out pretty slick, but I made them a wee bit burly...
You can also see my spoke/rotor protectors. Might be good for a learning type like me!

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
WestCoast, you kiss-ass!
Alright, glad that's stright! Sorry about the mix up, Brad. So who's our local E13 boy? Can't remember his user name...
Anyway, may grind plate project worked out well, but I sold the setup already. Go figure. So, now I'm back to square one... here's some pics: The rear slide plates worked out pretty slick, but I made them a wee bit burly...
You can also see my spoke/rotor protectors. Might be good for a learning type like me!
The grind plates look solid but kinda over built , personally it scares me to grind on my left side with disk's I also dont have this problem as I learned early on to grind on my right side . Wasent so helpful in the bmx days but once I started rideing mtb it made sense .

E-13 ???? Sorry cant help you there .

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I actually grind on my right side as well, they are just there for the "incase" instances. The front plates aren't too bad, and all 4 of them together weigh 8oz. I think I may just go wit ha stubby peg and spoke guard this next time around. Got away from the peg this time because of the 3/8" bolts, I didn't trust them with the leverage a peg places on them. Got a better idea now.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Got a better idea now.
Um no looked good enough to break ledges to me .

I never used my grind gard on anything other than metal park ledges , I'm thinking of making another one for my current 4x fork so I can drop in and steep copeing and stuff .

For some reason I cant bring myself to run pegs on my MTB , just cant do it :disgust1: