Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Op-Ed Contributor
What I Think About Evolution
E-MailPrint Save Share
DiggFacebookNewsvinePermalinkBy SAM BROWNBACK
Published: May 31, 2007
Washington

IN our sound-bite political culture, it is unrealistic to expect that every complicated issue will be addressed with the nuance or subtlety it deserves. So I suppose I should not have been surprised earlier this month when, during the first Republican presidential debate, the candidates on stage were asked to raise their hands if they did not “believe” in evolution. As one of those who raised his hand, I think it would be helpful to discuss the issue in a bit more detail and with the seriousness it demands.

The premise behind the question seems to be that if one does not unhesitatingly assert belief in evolution, then one must necessarily believe that God created the world and everything in it in six 24-hour days. But limiting this question to a stark choice between evolution and creationism does a disservice to the complexity of the interaction between science, faith and reason.

The heart of the issue is that we cannot drive a wedge between faith and reason. I believe wholeheartedly that there cannot be any contradiction between the two. The scientific method, based on reason, seeks to discover truths about the nature of the created order and how it operates, whereas faith deals with spiritual truths. The truths of science and faith are complementary: they deal with very different questions, but they do not contradict each other because the spiritual order and the material order were created by the same God.

People of faith should be rational, using the gift of reason that God has given us. At the same time, reason itself cannot answer every question. Faith seeks to purify reason so that we might be able to see more clearly, not less. Faith supplements the scientific method by providing an understanding of values, meaning and purpose. More than that, faith — not science — can help us understand the breadth of human suffering or the depth of human love. Faith and science should go together, not be driven apart.

The question of evolution goes to the heart of this issue. If belief in evolution means simply assenting to microevolution, small changes over time within a species, I am happy to say, as I have in the past, that I believe it to be true. If, on the other hand, it means assenting to an exclusively materialistic, deterministic vision of the world that holds no place for a guiding intelligence, then I reject it.

There is no one single theory of evolution, as proponents of punctuated equilibrium and classical Darwinism continue to feud today. Many questions raised by evolutionary theory — like whether man has a unique place in the world or is merely the chance product of random mutations — go beyond empirical science and are better addressed in the realm of philosophy or theology.

The most passionate advocates of evolutionary theory offer a vision of man as a kind of historical accident. That being the case, many believers — myself included — reject arguments for evolution that dismiss the possibility of divine causality.

Ultimately, on the question of the origins of the universe, I am happy to let the facts speak for themselves. There are aspects of evolutionary biology that reveal a great deal about the nature of the world, like the small changes that take place within a species. Yet I believe, as do many biologists and people of faith, that the process of creation — and indeed life today — is sustained by the hand of God in a manner known fully only to him. It does not strike me as anti-science or anti-reason to question the philosophical presuppositions behind theories offered by scientists who, in excluding the possibility of design or purpose, venture far beyond their realm of empirical science.

Biologists will have their debates about man’s origins, but people of faith can also bring a great deal to the table. For this reason, I oppose the exclusion of either faith or reason from the discussion. An attempt by either to seek a monopoly on these questions would be wrong-headed. As science continues to explore the details of man’s origin, faith can do its part as well. The fundamental question for me is how these theories affect our understanding of the human person.

The unique and special place of each and every person in creation is a fundamental truth that must be safeguarded. I am wary of any theory that seeks to undermine man’s essential dignity and unique and intended place in the cosmos. I firmly believe that each human person, regardless of circumstance, was willed into being and made for a purpose.

While no stone should be left unturned in seeking to discover the nature of man’s origins, we can say with conviction that we know with certainty at least part of the outcome. Man was not an accident and reflects an image and likeness unique in the created order. Those aspects of evolutionary theory compatible with this truth are a welcome addition to human knowledge. Aspects of these theories that undermine this truth, however, should be firmly rejected as an atheistic theology posing as science.

Without hesitation, I am happy to raise my hand to that.

Sam Brownback is a Republican senator from Kansas.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
While no stone should be left unturned in seeking to discover the nature of man’s origins, we can say with conviction that we know with certainty at least part of the outcome. Man was not an accident and reflects an image and likeness unique in the created order. Those aspects of evolutionary theory compatible with this truth are a welcome addition to human knowledge. Aspects of these theories that undermine this truth, however, should be firmly rejected as an atheistic theology posing as science.
So he's arguing for ID. What's new?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
So he's arguing for ID. What's new?
No, he's arguing for straight out creationism. ID proponents leave wiggle room by stating that the designer could be like an alien or something, man.

The most passionate advocates of evolutionary theory offer a vision of man as a kind of historical accident. That being the case, many believers — myself included — reject arguments for evolution that dismiss the possibility of divine causality.

Isn't that cute. I know many small children around the world who are convinced that there is a flying reindeer with a red nose that pulls a fat present dispensing machine around on Christmas eve.

They usually grow out of that though...at least before they make a Presidential run.

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004
No, he's arguing for straight out creationism. ID proponents leave wiggle room by stating that the designer could be like an alien or something, man.
No, he is essentially stating what a wise man once said before:

"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver

Do you think Einstein ever got laid?

I'm not sure I'd take philosophy from a guy who never went out and partied once in a while.

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004
Do you think Einstein ever got laid?

I'm not sure I'd take philosophy from a guy who never went out and partied once in a while.
Considering he was married, and regarded as a bit of a party animal, yes, I do think he got laid.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA

Wow, that is one wildly hopeful interpretation of Brownstain's statements.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
My bad.

As with most believers in creationism and ID, his understanding of the theory of evolution is poor at best. Note: my knowledge of said theory is nothing to brag about.

My favorite part:
Those aspects of evolutionary theory compatible with this truth are a welcome addition to human knowledge.
IMO, it holds little weight to start with a conclusion and pick-and-chose which evidence will be used to support the argument. Lame.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA

First off, you may want to check the background on that Einstein quote. What he means by religion is certainly not what Brownback means.

Secondly, if Einstein truly believed that, he wouldn't have bothered to come up with any of his insights, he would have merely said, "Yahweh did it!"

Thank God he didn't...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Many questions raised by evolutionary theory — like whether man has a unique place in the world or is merely the chance product of random mutations — go beyond empirical science and are better addressed in the realm of philosophy or theology
What?!?
Evolutionary theory never raised that question. Evolutionary theory STATES that man is a chance product of NOT-random, but rather logical and beneficial mutations. Furthermore, philosophy and theology are both irrelevant in that realm completely unless you're talking about what corrupted it in the last few thousand years.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
What?!?
Evolutionary theory never raised that question. Evolutionary theory STATES that man is a chance product of NOT-random, but rather logical and beneficial mutations.
Not necessarily logical, just mutations that were beneficial for survival and reproduction.

You have hit on something that I've seen Richard Dawkins do in interviews before. The person will ask, "So, you believe we evolved from monkeys by random chance!?"

Of course, asking that question to a biologist is like asking your mechanic if the problem with your car has something to do with the derailleur...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Not necessarily logical, just mutations that were beneficial for survival and reproduction.
What I meant was that the mutations that stuck around were logical in terms of their role advancing the species. There are tons of random mutations which obviously dont get expressed down the line because they arent advantagious. Some creationists miss out on that concept altogether and I dont see how. They think we believe a monkey just shat a human out its womb and we took off from there. They dont grasp speciation.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Philosophically, 'evolution' is a crock as well. It's an after-the-fact application of a process conceived by the human mind, laid over the history of all the accidents and interrelated causes that got us and everthing else to where and what it is today.

Sure, animals that survived passed on their genes. And those with advantages tend to survive better than those without. Other than that, there's no guarantee of survival of the fittest or anything else. Biological existence is the purest sort of accident, not the result of a process with rules and logic, to which most scienc-y types would like to elevate it.

We can draw some basic conclusions (those I stated in the previous paragraph) but we have no way to say that there's an actual process going on.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Philosophically, 'evolution' is a crock as well. It's an after-the-fact application of a process conceived by the human mind
No it's an after-the-fact observation of mechanisms and patterns (no different than many other theories). While the inputs may be random, that doesn't mean that at a high level there is not an observable order to the system.

Maybe I misunderstand what you mean by "Philosophically." As I've stated before, science or the scientific method is not a philosophy or belief-system, it is a tool. It does not give "meaning" to the world around us, but it does help us understand that world.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
But naming the process assumes you 1) have all the evidence and 2) are drawing the correct causal connections, neither of which is in any way possible. We are incredibly arrogant beings in our assumptions about our own ability to know things.

We impart an idea of 'order' on the natural world. Things in the natural world happen in a pre-conscious state. Our consciousness is an abberation.

My argument about evolution is like my argument about mathematics. Mathematicians think they're learning fundamentals of the world...a metaphysics of sorts. Yet, all math is simply a description of the world, a language which lets us approximate to varying degrees the workings of the world around us. It's an extremely useful tool, but not a way to get at "truth" or "reality" or some other metaphysical concept.

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004
First off, you may want to check the background on that Einstein quote. What he means by religion is certainly not what Brownback means.

Secondly, if Einstein truly believed that, he wouldn't have bothered to come up with any of his insights, he would have merely said, "Yahweh did it!"

Thank God he didn't...
I very well do know what Einstein thought of when he was talking of religion. It may not have been the personal God, pray and worship ivory tower religion, but it was a faith based in something not rational. An overarching power of "Mother Nature", which he most certainly did believe in.

And if you believe that a strong sense of Science and logic precludes someone from a sense of Faith and Religion, you are sadly mistaken. In fact Einstein and many scientists hold Athiests in the same light as religious nutters.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I very well do know what Einstein thought of when he was talking of religion. It may not have been the personal God, pray and worship ivory tower religion, but it was a faith based in something not rational. An overarching power of "Mother Nature", which he most certainly did believe in.

And if you believe that a strong sense of Science and logic precludes someone from a sense of Faith and Religion, you are sadly mistaken. In fact Einstein and many scientists hold Athiests in the same light as religious nutters.
So, Einstein was at best a loose Deist,which, like I pointed out, is nothing compatible to what Brownback believes, and it still leaves another unanswered question: Who created the Deity? (Another side note: Picking Einstein is odd. I wouldn't hold up the fact that E.O. Wilson has referred to himself very loosely as a deist to prove my point in a discussion about black holes. Why you would throw a brief quote from Einstein into a discussion of evolutionary theory is a little curious.)

I certainly don't believe that scientific beliefs preclude religious ones. It's quite obvious that there are people who can hold both. It's also fairly obvious that most religious people flee from their beliefs when science can do a better job. After all, most church going folk opt for the chemo instead of praying. Have you ever wondered why that is? It is pretty clear that the more educated you get, the less people of faith there are hanging around. Care to explain why that is?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
NPR had something good the other week on how Einstein's quotes on religion are pretty much cherry-picked, and he had a huge disdain for any kind of belief other than a vague wonder at the mechanics of the universe.

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004
Who created the Deity?
And I give the same answer that scientists give for the question "What about the time before the big bang?"

Nothing, much like god/diety, time did not exist until it did. With the big bang, time was created, along with everything else.

It is actually quite amazing how scientific explanations parallel religious texts when it comes to origin.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
It is actually quite amazing how scientific explanations parallel religious texts when it comes to origin.
Scientific explanations (and we're not speaking of evolutionary theory at this point, we are talking about the origin of the cosmos. You keep trying to conflate the two issues, but they are NOT the same) make it pretty clear that we aren't 100% sure, but we're working on it. (What we are sure about is that God didn't create the Universe on Day 1 and wrap it up on Day 6. There is simply no evidence for that.) It's also possible we may never be able to figure it out, or at least explain it in a way that makes intuitive sense to us.

Religious texts, on the other hand, are long on magical specifics and their believers are convinced that they are right. And they have to be, because a religious leader loses power and credibility when he says, "I'm not sure."

Now, to get back to Einstein, I have to wonder which group is showing that doubt and wonder he talked about...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
And they have to be, because a religious leader loses power and credibility when he says, "I'm not sure."
To be fair, scientists and academics are vulnerable to the same thing. And there are religious people who say "I'm not sure" to a variety of topics.

The history of science is rife with competing theories and personalities, and it's not such a pure world that popularity, presentation, or even ready comprehensibility affect what becomes accepted scientific theory/fact/paradigm.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Our consciousness is an abberation.

Whatever.........jesus loves me so.

My argument about evolution is like my argument about mathematics. Mathematicians think they're learning fundamentals of the world...a metaphysics of sorts. Yet, all math is simply a description of the world, a language which lets us approximate to varying degrees the workings of the world around us. It's an extremely useful tool, but not a way to get at "truth" or "reality" or some other metaphysical concept.
Gawd damn that drives me crazy when there's some dipsh1t "mathmatics expert" who uses the success of the 'language' to verify the existence of the baby jeebus. Also heard on NPR was one of those freaks who's too stupid to realize what you've just described and takes the intricate functionalities of mathmatics as evidence of perfection....and therefore teh gawd.......completely disregarding the fact that mathmatics exist as an after effect of trying to describe already functional systems in nature.

ooooohh I just hate them!!!

It's like dropping to my knees when I discovered xtr componentry in the 90s.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Woo, I'm backing away, very slowly. Even leaving behind some purple-anodized cranks as a distraction...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
and it's not such a pure world that popularity, presentation, or even ready comprehensibility affect what becomes accepted scientific theory/fact/paradigm.
I capitalize on that daily in my new job at the FDA.

reading this post may induce such side effects as apathy, diarrhea, genital warts and argentinian penguin herpes

PS: gimme those cranks

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
The history of science is rife with competing theories and personalities, and it's not such a pure world that popularity, presentation, or even ready comprehensibility affect what becomes accepted scientific theory/fact/paradigm.
Very true, but at the end of the day what makes the scientific method powerful is that it self repairs. All it takes it one reproducible experiment to shatter a paradigm. The confirmation of light bending in 1919 by Eddington is a good example of that.

If you're thinking more about applied science (technology) you're 100% right. Popularity, personality, and marketing play into that substantially.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Okay, fine, whatever.

You're okay with generalizing the faithful as not educated? Or are you referring to the education levels of people who hold beliefs in both science and religion?
The second.

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/sci_relig.htm

However, I am just fine with generalizing church going people who believe in creationism as not educated with regard to biological science, the same way I am fine generalizing that people who believe in horoscopes are not the best people to consult on questions of astronomy.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
But darwin said monkeys turned into people!!

That's crazy!!

I ain't never seen no monkey do that!!
Bill Hicks had the proper reply to that one :D

(Paraphrased) Ever notice how people who believe in creationism look really unevolved? Eyes set really close together, big furry hands. "God made me in one day!"

Yep, looks like he rushed it...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I still seethe at the smugness of a "BC" cartoon I saw when I was like 12. It was two cavemen discussing evolution...one says, "So you think we evolved from apes?" to which the other responds, "Yep."

The hero then says, in a fashion I can only imagine dripping with smarm, "Then how come we still got apes?" as if he'd just torpedoed the entire heathen ship full of hell-bound non-believers with that tart remark. Man, it still pisses me off to think of that one. Don't confront the issue if you're not capable of seeing the target, much less hitting it...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I still seethe at the smugness of a "BC" cartoon I saw when I was like 12. It was two cavemen discussing evolution...one says, "So you think we evolved from apes?" to which the other responds, "Yep."

The hero then says, in a fashion I can only imagine dripping with smarm, "Then how come we still got apes?" as if he'd just torpedoed the entire heathen ship full of hell-bound non-believers with that tart remark. Man, it still pisses me off to think of that one. Don't confront the issue if you're not capable of seeing the target, much less hitting it...

Dude you've got a flower, a guy in a skinsuit running enthusiastically towards a pink manpart, separated only by the letter Y, showing up every time you post.

You are most certainly not to be expected to understand the ways of the lord.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Dude you've got a flower, a guy in a skinsuit running enthusiastically towards a pink manpart, separated only by the letter Y, showing up every time you post.

You are most certainly not to be expected to understand the ways of the lord.
You haven't been reading enough Umberto Eco.

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004
Gawd damn that drives me crazy when there's some dipsh1t "mathmatics expert" who uses the success of the 'language' to verify the existence of the baby jeebus. Also heard on NPR was one of those freaks who's too stupid to realize what you've just described and takes the intricate functionalities of mathmatics as evidence of perfection....and therefore teh gawd.......completely disregarding the fact that mathmatics exist as an after effect of trying to describe already functional systems in nature.

ooooohh I just hate them!!!

It's like dropping to my knees when I discovered xtr componentry in the 90s.
So you hate some of the people who are unarguably the most educated people in all of history? Like René_Descartes or Godel?

Silver said:
Scientific explanations (and we're not speaking of evolutionary theory at this point, we are talking about the origin of the cosmos. You keep trying to conflate the two issues, but they are NOT the same) make it pretty clear that we aren't 100% sure, but we're working on it. (What we are sure about is that God didn't create the Universe on Day 1 and wrap it up on Day 6. There is simply no evidence for that.) It's also possible we may never be able to figure it out, or at least explain it in a way that makes intuitive sense to us.
How can we be 100% unsure of how, yet be completely sure that it wasn't God? And be very careful, the absence of evidence for is not proof against, it merely means we may not have the tools to measure the evidence yet.

And it is precicely for the reason that we cannot explain it or possibly be able to explain it why Einstein, and many great scientists, embrace a bit of religion/philosophy, it helps you fill in the gaps and all the cases that science cannot hope to explain.