Quantcast

Anyone watch the Raceface vid on Pinkbike?

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Fast forward to the chainguide part. So basically its an E.Thirteen thats pre assembled out of the box? Thats what i got from watching the description......at least. Hm, i actually liked putting my guide together. I even broke out some model glue to huff to be just like when i was a kid building models.

Someone should overdub the video and make him admit that they just took the SRS guide and put flames on it.....

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i personnally think the raceface vid sucked. she had to tell him everything, almost like he now nothing about the product line. also that chain giuld will not be cheap. atleast in BTI its the same price as and evil.

anyonw know if pinkbike is going to cover manituo

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The entire line of pinkbike IB videos were all a bunch of BS. Just marketing propaganda..i hope they are all pinkbike advertisers.

As for the race face guide..holy jesus. It is a straight up SRS ripoff...only rumour has it they screwed it up just enough to suck. Way to go!

People had problems "pre-assembling" their guides? I guess they only polled the "special" population who wear football helmets to grade school huh?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
CBJ said:
Marketing propaganda isn't that what Interbike is all about? I am sure its the same kind of stories they tell everybody.
Obviously that is all it is about, but you would think a site as large as pinkbike would decide to actually have some content, and not just marketing hacks reciting memorized product brochures.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
True that's what I expeced too and I sure hope Pinkbike got some $$ for that work I would be very surprise if they didn't.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
meh. those pinkbike videos just caused 'network error occurred' messages whenever i tried opening em w/ WM9 or 10.

since i can open pretty much any vid on the 'net no problem, i wonder if my system is using a Crappy Marketing BS filter?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
CBJ said:
True that's what I expeced too and I sure hope Pinkbike got some $$ for that work I would be very surprise if they didn't.
I agree, that was 100% advertising, no question about it. I am willing t get they got a few hundred bucks each.

The best part was that their flakey "interviewer" could barely put a coherent sentence together.

"So like, this part looks interesting eh? What have we got going on here, brah?"

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
Yeah all of them sounded like used car salesmen talking about their products. One of many reasons why the industry is in shambles. And the SRAM video makes me want to punch HBall in the face, even more.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
it kin of looked like it is going to be just another one of those decent chainguides, i say stick with mrp or e-13....what is up with the flames is that really needed, nobody can really see them unless they are within a respective distance and it will give them un excuse to raise the price

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
MMike said:
Bender is FABULOUS!!
as part of his career revitalization through media sensationalism (the "century drop" his first campaign) , bender will be coming out of the closet as freeridings first gay ambasador. bravo, bender! bra-vo!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Acadian said:
Your Interbike coverage is much better Fraser.
Yeah, you are right. I didnt bother wasting my time posting videos of guys reciting product literature with an interviewer who sounded like he was straight outta brocal. Boo hoo. :rolleyes:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Fraser want's to be interviewed by rip-tv/pinkbike.

don't let him convince you otherwise.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Seriously though, the pinkbike interview idea is pretty cool... but some companies would be better off not saying anything at all!

Anyone catch the mountain cycle interview? that was painful!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
dump said:
Seriously though, the pinkbike interview idea is pretty cool... but some companies would be better off not saying anything at all!

Anyone catch the mountain cycle interview? that was painful!
Exactly my point. The idea was great..only they need to have people who are a little bit more eloquent then your average bicycle industry marketing manager. It can't come off sounding like a poorly written infomercial with bad talent, which is what ended up happening.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Transcend said:
The idea was great..only they need to have people who are a little bit more eloquent then your average bicycle industry marketing manager. It can't come off sounding like a poorly written infomercial with bad talent, which is what ended up happening.
Hey!! I represent that remark!! That's why I tried to have fun with it. Not make it look cheese dick or rehersed. I just winged (wung??) it. :)

-ska todd

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
ska todd said:
Hey!! I represent that remark!! That's why I tried to have fun with it. Not make it look cheese dick or rehersed. I just winged (wung??) it. :)

-ska todd
Ya, I will be completely honest and say that yours was actually funny. I laughed, maybe because i have known you a long time or something, but that was todd..not the iron horse marketing manager.

It was pretty easy to tell that most of the others were rehearsed (badly), and guys were trying to remember what they had to say.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
It was for the freakin pinkbike, how serious could I really be with it? I planned to use the words "hucktastic" and "jib" and to refer to "rootbeer Bullit's" but I ran out of time.

-ska todd

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
ska todd said:

-ska todd

todd... you were freaking scary :nope: :)

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
DHanamal said:
Yeah all of them sounded like used car salesmen talking about their products. One of many reasons why the industry is in shambles. And the SRAM video makes me want to punch HBall in the face, even more.
That was HB? I thought it was Jerry Springer.............

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
I thought it was not bad, sure it was just catalouge speal but it was intresting to watch. Props to Todd for being intresting. I dont know who was more bored by the foes dude me or him. "ummmm this is the new foes bike ummmmmmmmm its got a ummmmmmm 2:1 ratio aaaaaannnd its better because ummmmmmmm"
Race face clothing is as dull as it gets.
Its a shame the DW seminar didnt get put on I have stuff I would like to know about that.
Why were specialized so hyped about there bikes having a 26" rear wheel as if it was a special feature not often found on DH bikes?

I guess the thing we need to remember is it was probably perfect for the people who visit pinkbike.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Transcend said:
Yeah, you are right. I didnt bother wasting my time posting videos of guys reciting product literature with an interviewer who sounded like he was straight outta brocal. Boo hoo. :rolleyes:
What exactly do you expect them to say when they are interviewed?

"Yeah we built this fork, its alright, only blows sometimes..."

Of course they're going to spout off what they've had drilled into them. Its what they do. Its what they are there to do. Do you yell at ads in magazines that do the same?

The coverage was great, and fast. PB did a good job. They have no control over what somebody answers. Admittedly the interviewer was a little sketchy, but the guy was probably nervous as hell. Like it or not, those vids are seen by THOUSANDS if not MILLIONS of riders. Some people are intimidated by that.

How about you step up and show them how its done?

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
I agree with Jeff. PB had really good coverage along with Bikemagic.com. Who cares if it seemed like an add, isnt that what IB is? MTBR was a lumbering dino this year, and what was there didnt flat my boat. Ive seen enough 29" bikes for a lifetime.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Since Radek doesn't have an account here...this is what he had to say.

BTW...he also said he's got his fire suit on - ready for the flames :dancing: radek @ Pinkbike.com

Some are criticizing the companies/marketing managers for not being very professional/eloquent/artistic/etc when showcasing their products. Yet you blame Pinkbike.com for all of it! Most of those guys at the show are extremely busy; they don’t have the time to do a gazillions of outtakes just to make sure they get it perfect (see Radek's comments below). And it just makes sense that product managers are going to sugar coat their products – that’s their jobs!

I take my hat off to Radek for trying something NEW this year! Editing, formatting, setting up interviews … that all takes a lot of time and planning. I think they (PB and rip.tv) did a great job.

And for those of you who think pinkbike is making bank off these advertisers – think again. You’re clearly not the one paying the bills each month.

Radek@pinkbike said:
Wow – that’s a fantastic thread! I love it. :heart:

You guys don’t realize that the interviewer is our buddy Ryan with a hangover that just did it for the hell of it, there are no second takes, and that it’s just in good fun. That’s right no second takes – the cuts are just there to take out the REALLY lame stuff.

Of course it’s commercial and of course it’s a sketchy promo video…..it’s what it’s supposed to be. The next thing you guys will be saying is that the booths at interbike look too much like hype and marketing and it’s all about promoting your product to the dealers and magazines so they sell it to riders!. LOL No S--t!

And what is with the great sheep following….oh, that coverage sucks….yeah it sucks……oh wait it’s good….yeah it’s good. Haha But that’s just the Internet….everyone wants to belong and stay with in the boundaries of the status quo.

Everytime you have something different you have resistance, because it’s different and people are used to something else, so just on that it’s bad, and some people are just negative and they don’t like it when someone else is doing something good and fun.

The quality of the interviews are not at par to what people are used to on TV or Sports because guess what, NONE of the people we interviewed has ever been on camera like that. I’m sure next year they’ll feel more at ease. Also it’s the first time I have done the videos too J I’m not making excuses because I think they turned out fine. Some are better than others due to the product and personalities.

The original intent was to provide information from interbike in a different format. Of course informative is a relative thing. Sure you have the people that could care less about the new Raceface chain guide and know more about other guides that are better…..but there are 1000 times as many people that are stoked on it. J (though I hope it’s only selling feature isn’t that it assembles easily)

So the basic propaganda is to inform the general public out there in a new format. For the bike geeks that already know everything, I was hoping to have a bunch of funny anecdotes and personalities on there and some stupid **** that we all can laugh at, etc.

I think it was a great success.

PS. We’re past the 200,000 download count of those videos.

The f'd up part….Monday we served out over 1 terabyte of data in 24 hours. Haha Damn, I need another part time job to pay for the bandwidth!

- Radek

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Personally I would have rather seen the time and energy put into text-style reporting with more unbiased content than the ass-kissing and regurgitated press releases I saw in the videos. Yeah it was different and kind of entertaining at times but there was no objective insight or observations.

Maybe I should just loosen up or whatever, but I don't think the fact that there were 200,000 downloads means people liked it - they were just looking for coverage and that's what they could find. Seemed like everyone posted videos instead of text content this year.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I think the job to come up with an ubiased and non-objective conclusion is up to the viewer, not the companies. After all, if they told you exactly what was going on instead of thier marketing blurb, they are still telling you what to think.

Good response Radek, much more diplomatic then I would have been.

"Ahem.

To those critisizing the video covereage:: Eat a dick.

That is all.

:) "

Again, not the best, but pretty damn well done. I'm impressed for sure. I know what a pain in the arse it was sorting through 400 pics from BTAC, I can't imagine interbike again.

radek

Chimp
Feb 20, 2003
I couldn't resist - Luc talked me into it.

OGRipper said:
Personally I would have rather seen the time and energy put into text-style reporting.... seemed like everyone posted videos instead of text content this year.
Awesome! OG, where's all the other video coverage from this year? I really wanna check it out.