Quantcast

Anyone worked on the 9Point8 / RF Turbine / Easton Havoc dropper yet?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
My 150mm Havoc has issues out of teh box but I also completely fuckered it with a drop of oil, it seems. Anyone worked on this dropper, yet? To my untrained dentist's eye it looks like its biggest design feature is its Achilles' heel as well - and the head execution on RF and Easton turns it into a nightmare.

Halp!

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I have the RF/Easton version. Build quality is meh (damaged threads in the remote's tensioner in mine out of the box, strangely machined bolt seats on the head that will produce metal splinters when you tighten the bolts, the whole remote is very meh). My main problem is the dropper is losing all air quickly, therefore not returning back or taking looong to do so. The head design makes you remove the two long bolts and the rail clamps completely if you want to add moar air -> a massive pain in the ass that you don't want to do every other day or even week (the 9.8 head design is much better). The air is held in the dropper by a single X-ring seal between the lower tube's nut and the stanchion, that seal was apparently problematic in 9.8's early manufacturing runs and it looks like it has similar issues in the early RF/Easton posts. To add insult to my injury, if you happen to get any lubricant into the air chamber (I apparently contaminated mine), the friction brake stops frictioning and the post will not lock in place. That air spring design makes me uneasy, any scratch of the stanchion will result in a quick air loss.

Linky to a pic, #2 is the X-ring seal. http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/components/1029571d1447810985-9point8-fall-line-dropper-post-totally-happy-mine-fall-line-details.jpg

Last edited:

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
I have the RF/Easton version. Build quality is meh (damaged threads in the remote's tensioner in mine out of the box, strangely machined bolt seats on the head that will produce metal splinters when you tighten the bolts, the whole remote is very meh). My main problem is the dropper is losing all air quickly, therefore not returning back or taking looong to do so. The head design makes you remove the two long bolts and the rail clamps completely if you want to add moar air -> a massive pain in the ass that you don't want to do every other day or even week (the 9.8 head design is much better). The air is held in the dropper by a single X-ring seal between the lower tube's nut and the stanchion, that seal was apparently problematic in 9.8's early manufacturing runs and it looks like it has similar issues in the early RF/Easton posts. To add insult to my injury, if you happen to get any lubricant into the air chamber (I apparently contaminated mine), the friction brake stops frictioning and the post will not lock in place. That air spring design makes me uneasy, any scratch of the stanchion will result in a quick air loss.

Linky to a pic, #2 is the X-ring seal. http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/components/1029571d1447810985-9point8-fall-line-dropper-post-totally-happy-mine-fall-line-details.jpg
I've read several other RF posts having the air loss and build quality problems. I just got pricing on one last week because I was getting tired of waiting on the Fall Line to come back in stock. Guess I will just keep waiting on the Fall line.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I've read several other RF posts having the air loss and build quality problems. I just got pricing on one last week because I was getting tired of waiting on the Fall Line to come back in stock. Guess I will just keep waiting on the Fall line.
Yeah, I'd wait too. On top of the build issues, RF offers no parts, no servicing manuals, no help. It is a shame some companies still have not figured out that bringing a product to market requires more than just sending it to online retailers' warehouses.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
That's good to hear, sucks for you, but seeing as how the Fall Line is cheaper, that's the way I was leaning unless a used RF/Easton came along.

Have you tried RF's warranty department? The couple times I've had issues with their products they went above and beyond to help me, even sending multiple replacements for my turbine stem because the 1st one was taking too long to arrive. That was however, pre Fox overlords.

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
I've got the 9point8 and had good luck, except for having to tweak the slack in the cable a couple of times for proper operation. No build quality issues. Go Canada? (Wife has one too, so sample size of two). As you say, good seat mount. 1 bolt out, and then pivot on the other rail to access the air valve.

I don't exactly remember the details, but I remember I settled on an amount of slack in the cable other than what was recommended in the manual. Maybe a heavy 1/8th inch? This was for both posts. My post has thumb shifter, Hers is the brake lever type actuator.

It sounds like you have your post taken apart to a degree that the videos at the 9point8 website might not be useful. Still, might be worth checking there. I believe there is a posting of the manual they send with the post as well.

Edit: I wipe ours down once in a while with maxima SC1, wipe well with a fresh rag, and then cycle the post.

Smooths up if cold, water spots from last ride, etc.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
The post is easy to work on once you have the right bolt to release the brake (good luck getting a long M7 in the US) and if you manage to remove the bottom nut from the brake assembly - which I did not and I am not forcing it while there is a chance of a warranty action. I've contacted UC, they'll call Easton and will let me know. I am apparently not their only customer having issues with the Haven dropper.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
I'm not trying to derail or be an asshat my 2011 reverb is great worth every penny about 18 months after I got it I broke the hose, let me repeat, I broke the hose off sent it back they gave me a new version for free with a better hose connection it's 2016 and it's still going strong with no maintenance except in the cold months I have to add air once or twice when we are sub zero but we all know what happens to compressed air when it's sub zero.....i would try to return it and pay the extra for the reverb just my .02

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
I'm not trying to derail or be an asshat my 2011 reverb is great worth every penny about 18 months after I got it I broke the hose, let me repeat, I broke the hose off sent it back they gave me a new version for free with a better hose connection it's 2016 and it's still going strong with no maintenance except in the cold months I have to add air once or twice when we are sub zero but we all know what happens to compressed air when it's sub zero.....i would try to return it and pay the extra for the reverb just my .02
I bought my Reverb in late 2011. Since then it has been sent back for warranty 3-4 times. Within 8-10 months of getting it back it starts to develop the same sagging issue. They always replace it with a new post, but I'm just getting tired of going with out a post for 2-3 week at a time. One of the reasons I'm looking at the 9point8 is that it is completely user serviceable and you can buy the parts directly through them.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I got it to a sorta rideabru condition. I hope that once I replace the crappy remote with a Southpaw (incoming) + a better housing and cable, it should be good. They need to post some damn servicing manuals ASAP, I hit a few dead ends during the disassembly, this thing is very different from the usual hydraulic devices we work on.

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
I got it to a sorta rideabru condition. I hope that once I replace the crappy remote with a Southpaw (incoming) + a better housing and cable, it should be good. They need to post some damn servicing manuals ASAP, I hit a few dead ends during the disassembly, this thing is very different from the usual hydraulic devices we work on.
Glad you are working it into proper operating condition.:thumb:

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I bought my Reverb in late 2011. Since then it has been sent back for warranty 3-4 times. Within 8-10 months of getting it back it starts to develop the same sagging issue. They always replace it with a new post, but I'm just getting tired of going with out a post for 2-3 week at a time. One of the reasons I'm looking at the 9point8 is that it is completely user serviceable and you can buy the parts directly through them.
Seems to be a hit or miss for the Reverb.

I bought a Reverb in 2012, transfered it to a new bike in 2013 and rode it for another solid 3 years...and brought it to the shop for it's 1st complete overhaul at the end of 2015. It was just starting to sag on my last ride of the season.

The only problem I had was that I ripped the hose off from the lever in a crash once (my fault). All I needed was a new hose fitting thingy and a quick bleed. I know it seems I am one of the luckyest Reverb user out there, but I can attest the reliable Reverb do exist even though they are rare. :)

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Seems to be a hit or miss for the Reverb.

I bought a Reverb in 2012, transfered it to a new bike in 2013 and rode it for another solid 3 years...and brought it to the shop for it's 1st complete overhaul at the end of 2015. It was just starting to sag on my last ride of the season.

The only problem I had was that I ripped the hose off from the lever in a crash once (my fault). All I needed was a new hose fitting thingy and a quick bleed. I know it seems I am one of the luckyest Reverb user out there, but I can attest the reliable Reverb do exist even though they are rare. :)
My 1st Reverb died after 11 months, they replaced it with the updated (black collar) 2013 version that has not failed on me catastrophically, yet; but like you I had some failures of the remote and a) it sucks when you get oil all over the front rotor b) parts are freaking expensive. It also developed inhuman creaks in the saddle clamps and started to sag a bit - but I found a way to fix that small sag without a complete rebuild. I mostly hate the ergonomic of the remote and the slow action. The Fall Line is 10x simpler - it will be a more solid choice once the service manuals are available.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
My reverb experience read awesome for a couple of years, nothing more than the occasional bleed. (And removing/seeking the valve core)

New bike had the KS Lev which is fine, but if I read buying one tomorrow I'd but another Reverb with the new seals and 150mm drop.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
So, it looks like RF has some issues with seals in the Turbine/Haven posts. They are a bit overwhelmed, it is taking them weeks to address warranty returns.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
The saga goes on. After many weeks of waiting for a warranty replacement, and a few weeks of riding, #2 failed on me again. It's a sudden death thing - working fine, then one day it won't return all the way up, you add air but the brake mechanism is fuckered and won't lock any more. Back to RF it goes. This time I am asking for a refund.

tl;dr: don't buy this POS from RF/Easton

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Pinkbike review from today and comments suggests that the RF post sucks.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Other than some saddle play, not noticeable when riding, my fox has been awesome. You will be pleased.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Unlike the Easton, the Transfer works. :) I am quite useless without the dropper so I can not really Enduro without it any more. ;)
Nice!
Did you try enduroing on flat pedals like Sam Hill? I heard it's doing miracles even on the most devoted DH riders... ;)

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I got an RF Turbine a couple of months ago and it's been flawless so far. *touches wood*.

Hopefully they sorted out whatever issues the earlier ones were having. I'm pleased with mine...

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
My pinkbike blog post about the 9point8 dropper. The short version is it sucks and I have been robbed.

I really want to love this post, it checks all my boxes. 200mm of drop, mechanical cable actuation, microadjust saddle angle, and the ability to remove the saddle without losing the angle setting. Unfortunately my post has been plagued by problems from the start. After the first ride it had leaked down to nothing in the air spring. A couple rides later the brake started slipping and a "brake reset" did not remedy the issue. I was forced to disassemble the post to clean contamination off the brake and out of the air chamber. A few rides later the brake started slipping again, no way in hell the contamination came from the pump this time , as I have switched to a separate previously unused shock pump to use exclusively on this post. Now for the last straw, last night I felt a grinding sensation while lowering the saddle and the stanchion has 2 large scratches which have somehow occurred from the internals of the post.

I have been in posession of this post for under a month, while injured, so it has seen only a handful of rides. I have emailed the company 4 times (beginning with the first time it leaked) since buying the post and have received not one reply. Facebook messenger, no reply. Posts on their page, no reply. Phone call, no answer and so far no call back. This is probably the worst experience I have ever had with a bike part.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Necro bump. Anyone cracked into one of these and been able to fix it?

At first it was just having to pump the lever to get the brake to engage after it had been sitting for a while, but now it refuses to hold air. Like, I can pump it up to 40 psi and it won't even last for 10 minutes. So now I have the pleasure of pulling the saddle up to full extension. :stosh: