Quantcast

Anything "new" at Platty?

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
New built up free ride trail, a couple new berms and added flow on last years gravity east finals course, and a new race course with multiple berms and jumps.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
It would be new if they ever had the triple side open when I went there. In the past three or four years, even when they said it would be open, it never is. Makes me want to cry.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
some new man made features will be finished within the next couple of weeks.
we got the dozer and backhoe up on the hill doin work

DHJUNKIE

Monkey
Sep 27, 2001
Cromwell, CT
see i think the great part about platty is that the terrain changes so much.. no need for fancy stunting.... but its still fun and apperciated it! i cant wait for the first race.

dap

Chimp
Jul 25, 2006
Central, NY
It would be new if they ever had the triple side open when I went there. In the past three or four years, even when they said it would be open, it never is. Makes me want to cry.
LOL you must have been there during the off times. Every time I went last year the triple was the only lift running!!! I actually like the double because I still ride over to the triple side with the high speed run over to it!

swiftknee

Chimp
Feb 10, 2005
new feature on the unfinished business(freeride trail)
its called pitchfork
during the year we will be working on alot of new stuff
finishing up unfinished business from top to bottom
some progression drop near the bottom
going to work on a nice teeter-tooter
where all going to work hard this year
to make plattekill even better
even though its hard to get better
well do it

Attachments

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I've got to admit, my favorite part of plattekill is the NATURAL terrain. So many bike parks neglect building actual trails in order to build wooden stunts or bermed corners. Nowhere in "mountain" biking do natural 6' berms exist. Not saying riding them isn't fun, but plattekill is one of the only places that has a huge selection of trails, multiple lines, and varied terrain on the east coast. Most other places have a set number of overpopulated, manicured trails that are more DHBMX than trail riding, downhill.

So...my vote is to clean up as much as possible, and let nature take its course. I LOVE that natural singletrack at platty.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
aww could you not hit it? calling it "terribly designed" is ridiculous. no one had issues about the construction of the jump, but they found a "easy" way around it.
are there not other race courses in the world w/ jumps before the end?

but dont worry, its on the Pro/Expert course only. the beginners dont hit it

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
aww could you not hit it? calling it "terribly designed" is ridiculous. no one had issues about the construction of the jump, but they found a "easy" way around it.
are there not other race courses in the world w/ jumps before the end?
It's not the construction of the jump that's problematic, its the design. You're coming into that section of trail with a full head of steam and are dumped right into a jump without a proper landing. That jump goes straight from takeoff lip into the land and looks like a triangle. For the amount of speed you're hitting it with, the takeoff needs to be at least 5-10 farther up from the landing.

And yes, there are plenty of race courses the world over with jumps at the finish line. And they're a lot better designed if you take a look.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
well, there will be changes done to it that Hudson and I were planning late Saturday. there will be a jump before the main jump and one more to step down onto the slope.
it wont be done for the race because all the dozers are up on the hill.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
well, there will be changes done to it that Hudson and I were planning late Saturday. there will be a jump before the main jump and one more to step down onto the slope.
it wont be done for the race because all the dozers are up on the hill.
I'm aware of the changes to be made. I was there when they were discussed. I just think it should have been built that way in the first place.

Last edited:

sicktrick89

Chimp
Feb 25, 2006
does anyone have any pictures of the may2nd race coarse. i heard that its really fast with alot of pedaling and a big drop at the top. just trying to decide if its worth heading up for.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
I agree that the jump way crap. It was way to small for the amount of speed you had coming into it.
but but but but I like hucks to flat...
I actually didn't mind the jump, if you scrubbed it the landing wasn't that bad. I think the jump higher up the course was worse, there was no way not to hit that to flat.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
it is always worth heading up for a platty race. Go big or go home(to diablow)

BTW it is course not coarse. Coarse is how you grind beef for chili.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
does anyone have any pictures of the may2nd race coarse. i heard that its really fast with alot of pedaling and a big drop at the top. just trying to decide if its worth heading up for.
It's really fast and flowy, lots of good berms and it's not a drop there's a decent sized gap that with a bit of work this coming weekend will be fine. And the person who told you there's a lot of pedal needs to go hit the trainer. There's one section where it's a little tough to carry speed and the rest is easy to fit pedal strokes in and flow. I may head up sunday morning depending on how rough saturday is. (SAT, Prom, and term paper due on monday)

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
theres really no pedaling needed on the course. its pretty fast and you can flow with most of your speed throughout the course. there arent any "big" drops on the Pro/Exp course...you can huck the drop on the middle, but you can also just roll it.
ill post a pic of the "drop" later

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
where the hell is that one?
It's right after the double drops that were in last years may race and right before the steep stuff starts, there's a line where the guy in the red is hiking up and then there's the hucker line where cody is standing pretending to be riding a bike. It's sick.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
It's right after the double drops that were in last years may race and right before the steep stuff starts, there's a line where the guy in the red is hiking up and then there's the hucker line where cody is standing pretending to be riding a bike. It's sick.
yeah i know where you are talking about. thats the pic i was gonna post, just a wider angle

Steve I think it was the one I was arguing about lines with Eric.
yeah i see it.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
well I saw ford hit it twice in a row, maybe 10'-12' down and 20'-24' out (real feet not pinkbike crap). Sweet hucker line but he had to slow and turn to hit it right. He jumped from right to left of the "normal" line and landed on the roots next to the tree. Geoff also hit it and Ford and him came to the conclusion was it was slower to huck it. I'll leave it up to the guys that did hit it, Hudson is just wrong on this one.

BTW, the landing is way beyond that pic.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
I've got to admit, my favorite part of plattekill is the NATURAL terrain. So many bike parks neglect building actual trails in order to build wooden stunts or bermed corners. Nowhere in "mountain" biking do natural 6' berms exist. Not saying riding them isn't fun, but plattekill is one of the only places that has a huge selection of trails, multiple lines, and varied terrain on the east coast. Most other places have a set number of overpopulated, manicured trails that are more DHBMX than trail riding, downhill.

So...my vote is to clean up as much as possible, and let nature take its course. I LOVE that natural singletrack at platty.
Agreed , BUT lots of riders these days like that stuff. Plattekill is big enough with a ton of trails so there is plenty of room for both, as long as it does not effect existing "classic" trails. Riding off-camber loose turns is an art, berms evens out the competition. That said berms do have there place, just not every turn

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
well I saw ford hit it twice in a row, maybe 10'-12' down and 20'-24' out (real feet not pinkbike crap). Sweet hucker line but he had to slow and turn to hit it right. He jumped from right to left of the "normal" line and landed on the roots next to the tree. Geoff also hit it and Ford and him came to the conclusion was it was slower to huck it. I'll leave it up to the guys that did hit it, Hudson is just wrong on this one.

BTW, the landing is way beyond that pic.
Sweet I'm glad people agree with me, I followed Ford into it and took the wide line and if you pre jump the wide line you can carry just as much speed and be on a straight line for the corner after it. It just looks so much gnarlier to hit it. haha.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Agreed , BUT lots of riders these days like that stuff. Plattekill is big enough with a ton of trails so there is plenty of room for both, as long as it does not effect existing "classic" trails. Riding off-camber loose turns is an art, berms evens out the competition. That said berms do have there place, just not every turn
werd.

not saying don't build more good stuff, just don't neglect the old good stuff. I still believe a weekend at plattekill is next to sex.