Quantcast

aoc plasmas any good???

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
hi.
i was at the mall earlier... and i saw they had aoc 42in plasma screens on sale.
i forgot to write down the model...

i asked the salesman a few questions... it has 10000 to 1 contrast ratio.. and according to him, 60000 hours halflife and 1078*768 resolution. vga-dvi input and all the usuall stuff. i think its samsung made.

the price is pretty kick ass. S/.6999 which is like US$2000-2100, taxes, included, 2 year warranty, exchange for 8 dead pixels, and the fact the store is like 5 minutes away means i can bitch to someone within reach if i have any problems.
so am wondering if its worth buying one.

anybody has any information on them???

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
10 000:1 contrast? I highly doubt it. The best LCD monitors are 900:1 (apples are 400:1). 10 000:1 seems absulrdly high, even for a plasma.

Also, 1068x768 isn't widescreen. Why would you get a non 16:9 plasma???

edit : I taipe gud

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Transcend said:
10 000:1 contrast? I highly doubt it. The bet LCD monitors are 900:1 (apples are 400:1). 10 000"1 seems absulrdly high, even for a plasma.

Also, 1068x768 isn't widescreen. Why would you get a non 16:9 plasma???
well, the 10000 to 1 is what i saw on a sticker glued on the screen, that seemed factory looking. ¿?.

and i saw other plasmas too, advertised as 6000 to 1 and the only other with a 10000 to 1 was an LG, that was like twice the price. but i really dont know what the standard unit for that is.

the resolution am not really sure, in fact i doubt it, but thats the answer i got from the salesman. the salesmen in that store are pretty crappy. i asked for the manual.. and they couldnt get me one. its not really an electronics store, but a nordstrom kinda store.

am pretty sure its a 16.9 widescreen though.

i´ll go back later, to see what model it is.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Check it supports at least 720p HDTV signals, and by supports I mean actually displays 720 progressive scan, not can just accept the signal then display a downgraded version of it.

Edit: Oh yeah, many people factor their contrast ratios from the turned off state of the screen, so they're complete BS in reality. 10,000 to 1 sounds like such a ratio. I expect plasmareview or someone will have a more realistic figure.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Ya, Changleen brings up a good point. TV manufacturers are pretty sketchy with their #s. Apple's 400:1 LCDs look much nicer then alot of 900:1 LCDs.

10 000:1 seems retarded high, even for a plasma screen. I think a decent genuine plasma number, from complete black (on) to complete white, is more like 2800 or something if I remember right.

I would look for 1080p at this point. With LCDs, PLasmas etc - you get what you pay for. Their is a reason the LG costs twice as much, and it isn't just the name.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
ALEXIS_DH said:
hi.
i was at the mall earlier... and i saw they had aoc 42in plasma screens on sale.
i forgot to write down the model...

i asked the salesman a few questions... it has 10000 to 1 contrast ratio.. and according to him, 60000 hours halflife and 1078*768 resolution. vga-dvi input and all the usuall stuff. i think its samsung made.

the price is pretty kick ass. S/.6999 which is like US$2000-2100, taxes, included, 2 year warranty, exchange for 8 dead pixels, and the fact the store is like 5 minutes away means i can bitch to someone within reach if i have any problems.
so am wondering if its worth buying one.

anybody has any information on them???

Maybe you should find an homeless child to take inside with you and make sure a hot woman sees you so she can hit on you, and maybe she will be rich and buy you the T.V. You will need to buy the homeless child something though.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Over here it seems the PS3 will be the only HDTV source for a good while :( Our national TV providers are being highly lame about the whole HDTV thing. Not that I actually watch hardly any TV these days...

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
I recently purchased a 50" Philips plasma, and even though I compared ratings and numbers from several different models and maufacturers, my decision ultimately came down to which monitor looked the best to me.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Transcend said:
Ya, Changleen brings up a good point. TV manufacturers are pretty sketchy with their #s. Apple's 400:1 LCDs look much nicer then alot of 900:1 LCDs.

10 000:1 seems retarded high, even for a plasma screen. I think a decent genuine plasma number, from complete black (on) to complete white, is more like 2800 or something if I remember right.

I would look for 1080p at this point. With LCDs, PLasmas etc - you get what you pay for. Their is a reason the LG costs twice as much, and it isn't just the name.

yeah i know. i watched a little bit of the "rocket power" cartoons on that tv (defined lines, deep bright colors, and fast motions) and it seemed nice. about as nice as the panasonic next to it. the lg was kinda far to see them side by side.

in fact, i was not really looking for a tv today.
the price is the main reason am considering buying it.
plus my birthday is next weekend, am gonna have a party, and i kinda just got the bug to get it.

am really wondering if its worth it or not. if i buy one, it´d be that one, or nothing. or maybe (a very unlikely maybe) a 54" proyection tv. (about the same price, but they give away a simple lg 5.1 sound system). i dont like proyection tvs, they dont look good from less than 4 meters, plus am gonna put the tv in a room with wall-windows next to the garden so its gonna be pretty shinny, and i already have a proyector, that kinda sucks for bright conditions.

oh yeah, i dont watch that many movies, so i´d say one important factor is that i´ll probably use it to play racing games, like nascar racing 2003 and grand prix legends on my pc. any specification that is important when considering a screen for games?????

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
On an lcd the response time would be important, not sure if the same is true for plasma, as they work in a completely different manner. ON an LCD anything 8ms and under is good.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Changleen said:
Over here it seems the PS3 will be the only HDTV source for a good while :( Our national TV providers are being highly lame about the whole HDTV thing. Not that I actually watch hardly any TV these days...
lol dude... hdtv is much more faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar away here.

so hdtv capability is not even on my book.

Dude, an MTB board isn't where you'll find the actual answer. Go here and be educated -->http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=40 This is where I did all my research before plunking down that hard earned cash.

Frankly, I've never heard of AOC? I bought my plasma (which is the link supplied) from this place -->http://www.visualapex.com/plasma/Plasma_details.asp?chPartNumber=TH-42PHD8UK&MFR=Panasonic This is actually my second unit from them as my first was stolen from my house.

If you run your setup through your home theater, this is the way to go. (Not to mention the bezel is black and much smaller than on the consumer models.) If you want/need the speakers and tuner, etc, get the consumer model, which happens to be silver by the way and looks attrocious IMO.

Good luck and keep us posted.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
surfinguru said:
Dude, an MTB board isn't where you'll find the actual answer. Go here and be educated -->http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=40 This is where I did all my research before plunking down that hard earned cash.

Frankly, I've never heard of AOC? I bought my plasma (which is the link supplied) from this place -->http://www.visualapex.com/plasma/Plasma_details.asp?chPartNumber=TH-42PHD8UK&MFR=Panasonic This is actually my second unit from them as my first was stolen from my house.

If you run your setup through your home theater, this is the way to go. (Not to mention the bezel is black and much smaller than on the consumer models.) If you want/need the speakers and tuner, etc, get the consumer model, which happens to be silver by the way and looks attrocious IMO.

Good luck and keep us posted.

absolutely awesome links. i´ll be reading them in the next hours.
i dont frequent that many forums... so RM is basically the forum for all my needs.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
There is a couple of guys on here who work in pro home theatre stuff, and pro audio stuff (studio installations etc). It can be a pretty good resource here, if you know who to contact.