Quantcast

AOL Straw Poll

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
Did you know that the (supposedly spam proof) AOL straw poll is being reset every week?

http://news.aol.com/political-machine/straw-poll

If you haven't already, go there and vote for your presidential preference.

I guess the thinking behind this is that as the race progresses, people might change their opinions as to who should be president. Resetting the poll every week allows people to express their changing opinions. I think that is a good idea. So go back there and vote again.

I believe most people do not know that the poll is being reset. Last I had checked McCain was leading, but now that voting is starting over again, guess who is leading the Republican ticket... Paul. What a surprise. Y'all had better put a stop to us loony moonbats. Go to AOL and cast your vote today!

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Ron Paul: the only hope we got!
& the only candidate that's not part of the evil bildeberg group.
Get out & vote, While you still can!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Ron Paul: the only hope we got!
& the only candidate that's not part of the evil bildeberg group.
Get out & vote, While you still can!
The sky is still blue in my world.

What color is it in yours?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Seriously, being the leader of a poll whose constiuency is "people who will actually fill out an Internet survey on who you'll vote for", with a large subsection of "People who respond to Internet chain emails from friends saying 'vote for this guy!'" sure doesn't seem to spell "impending success" to me.

RP may do well in reality, but it's not going that way so far, and even giving AOL online polls the time of day is ludicrous.

Plummit

Monkey
Mar 12, 2002
<snip> giving AOL online polls the time of day is ludicrous.
Giving AOL the time of day for any purpose is ludicrous. How can they still have a viable business. Pay for broadband, then pay us more so you can have our spamtastic service. AND you get KEYWORDS!?!?!?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
But they send me hundreds of pretty free CDs. I glue them to my hat. They keep out the NSA, and the tinfoil helps with the CIA microchip.

Plummit

Monkey
Mar 12, 2002
But they send me hundreds of pretty free CDs. I glue them to my hat. They keep out the NSA, and the tinfoil helps with the CIA microchip.
But not even AOL snailmail spam will be able to protect you from this. Link to WSJ

They're talking about Mike McConnell.. a quote from the link:
At issue, McConnell acknowledges, is that in order to accomplish his plan, the government must have the ability to read all the information crossing the Internet in the United States in order to protect it from abuse.

RenegadeRick

oh, *that's* accurate. Ron Paul's leading in almost every state in the nation?? Lol. I see Ron Paul wins the key "15 year old internet :nerd:" demographic.
Wait... it's only ALMOST? This morning it was EVERY state.
Looking again it seems McCain is pulling ahead in FL, NJ, and MD.
I'd better vote on this thing some more. ;)

Don't discount AOL. I used to and then I realized that there are lots and lots of AOL users. They might not be the most internet savvy, but they really are representative of the common folk. They are little old men and housewives. Honestly, there are few 15 year old internet nerds on AOL. They all hang on the 37337 warez torrents or private irc or pinkbike.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Don't discount AOL.
Wouldn't dream of it. I'm discounting the entire ****ing INTERNET as a representation of American society as a whole, especially vis-a-vis politics. Not everyone (in fact, probably most people) don't use their computers to express or discuss their politics. They check the weather, look for old girlfriends on Myspace, mapquest the new mall, and shop online.

Ron Paul's supporters may largely come from a demographic that spends time online being politically active, and tends to have disposible income to throw $100 at a candidate. But if 90% of that demographic likes Ron Paul nationwide, they still probably amount to nothing in the face of the real world.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
OK, so all the candidates are severely flawed and unqualified, and they spend billions of dollars telling us and each other how flawed and unqualified the others are.

Which has created the current situation, where every time a candidate is mentioned, all anyone knows how to do is rant about how unqualified that candidate is. Nobody even knows what the issues are anymore, all they know is what mud was slung most recently.

Seriously, f*ck this country and this election. It's a bunch of blind retarded monkeys grabbing at the banana with the smallest amount of mold on it. No matter what I do, NY's delegates will vote democrat. And the democratic candidate will be chosen based on which one has the most money. Why should I even care?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I don't have a problem with Ron Paul, per se--just the suppositions of some of his supporters.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Wouldn't dream of it. I'm discounting the entire ****ing INTERNET as a representation of American society as a whole, especially vis-a-vis politics. Not everyone (in fact, probably most people) don't use their computers to express or discuss their politics. They check the weather, look for old girlfriends on Myspace, mapquest the new mall, and shop online.

Ron Paul's supporters may largely come from a demographic that spends time online being politically active, and tends to have disposible income to throw $100 at a candidate. But if 90% of that demographic likes Ron Paul nationwide, they still probably amount to nothing in the face of the real world.
please, people said the same thing about Howard Dean, and look where he....... uh, never mind... :twitch:

RenegadeRick

OK, so all the candidates are severely flawed and unqualified, and they spend billions of dollars telling us and each other how flawed and unqualified the others are.

Which has created the current situation, where every time a candidate is mentioned, all anyone knows how to do is rant about how unqualified that candidate is. Nobody even knows what the issues are anymore, all they know is what mud was slung most recently.

Seriously, f*ck this country and this election. It's a bunch of blind retarded monkeys grabbing at the banana with the smallest amount of mold on it. No matter what I do, NY's delegates will vote democrat. And the democratic candidate will be chosen based on which one has the most money. Why should I even care?
You are truly wise. No seriously, I mean it. Echo is right. What he says is exactly what will happen.

The only rational thing anyone can do is ignore the show and recognize that it is all fixed and what we think just doesn't matter.

The thing is though, that to do this is to accept that all is truly lost and that we should simply accept that we will have less freedom and more government imposed burden with every passing day.

And I just can't bring myself to do that, and as such, I continue on my Quixotic quest for the America&#8482; the founders envisioned.
I suppose that is what makes me :banana: :banana: :banana:.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I don't want AOL users to pick my president. That's how we got GWB in the first place.

Anyone dumb enough to still use AOL is a waste of my air.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I don't want AOL users to pick my president. That's how we got GWB in the first place.

Anyone dumb enough to still use AOL is a waste of my air.
We should get the IP addresses and have them put on the list of felons...

Seriously, even my MOM thinks AOL sucks.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
The thing is though, that to do this is to accept that all is truly lost and that we should simply accept that we will have less freedom and more government imposed burden with every passing day.

And I just can't bring myself to do that, and as such, I continue on my Quixotic quest for the America™ the founders envisioned.
I suppose that is what makes me :banana: :banana: :banana:.
Don't worry, I'll still vote. I'm a sucker for the whole "you're part of the process" shtick.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
He is actually picking his nose with an invisible pen. The new i-pen will be announced today.
Actually he's holding the new i-umbrella. How it works is he pisses on your head, tells you it's raining and sells you his new umbrella. Marketing brilliance, I'm telling ya.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm going to write in a vote for myself. I considered all the candidates and have concluded that only I have the same values and ideas that I do.