Quantcast

Apology to those offended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Recently it came to my attention that some people on ride monkey were offended by my thread on Ami Winehouse. Although I find a lot of people make fun of famous people that die for whatever reasons, anyone only need to watch Jay Leno to see, I guess I don't expect to find former addicts and alcoholics in such a clean sport on this forum and didn't think before I made light of her death. I apologized to JDCamb and to anyone else, I do apologize. Being someone who has never been close to that subject matter, I guess I don't sympathize with celebrity addicts and took my own personal beliefs about celebrities that have so much talent given to them by God, get everything handed to them over night, become filthy rich and never have to work again and still throw it all away for drugs. It's these people that don't have to get up to go to work every day and have it so easy that I just get angry about when I hear about them doing stuff like heroin. Some of you may remember I was angry at Charlie Sheen making 2 million an episode and behaving the way he did. Back then, everyone supported him continuing what he was doing saying, "Hey, he's Charlie Sheen!" But now a lot of people see him for what he is and realize he's messed up and needs help. But make no mistake, at the same time I can sympathize with someone losing their job, can't make ends meet and turn to alcohol or drugs to forget about their problems and to escape the stress of it and wind up dying as a result.

I just saw Ami as someone that had so much given to her and didn't care enough about her own life to want to get help and live. There are many of us that without a doubt, would find ways to spend all that wealth on things other than drugs. But to those that have had close ties to addiction, I do apologize for not being more considerate.

With that, I can't say I will never ever make light of celebrity on RM that does stupid things, that's just life. But, I just hope not to offend anyone and that people don't take me too seriously if I try using sarcasm or just plain state how I feel about a subject. Fact is death is a part of life and some people make dumb decisions. And usually there is a reason behind what I say that forms my opinions on a subject. In Ami's case, and Charlie, it's being given so much at such a young age and having it so easy in life and able to live a life we all would love to have and then just go throw it all away on drugs, that pisses me off because I have to get up tomorrow and go to work with a bunch of assholes and I dread going in, but I have no choice but to keep quiet and do my job and make enough money to pay my bills. When someone like Sheen makes 2 mill in one episode and I could live forever off of 2 mill, and Ami Winehouse at 27 was worth over 20 million, and they live their lives and behave the way they do with that kind of money just handed over to them because people call them a celebrity, that ticks me off. But to all who have dealt with addiction up close in their own lives, I mean nothing personal. A lot of people turn to drugs for all kinds of reasons. When a celebrity writes a song saying they tried to get her to go to rehab, and she said no no no, that's thumbing her nose up at everyone. The fact she went to rehab and only stayed there for only 15 minutes, shows she knew she had a problem and "decided" not to deal with it. She's dead by her own choice not to go to rehab. There are a lot of us that will wind up dead some day and have no choice in that decision. She had a choice.

So don't take my comments personally if you have dealt with addiction in your life. My feelings were directed at her wealth, celebrity and completely caring less about all of it in her life that most of us would so much love to have.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Its not your thread dude - its you. :monkey:
Serial, in life, there will be people you meet that you like, and people you meet that you wont. I've actually found great friends in people that I did not like at all when I first met them. But you have your right to your opinion. In that, you need to recognize I have the same right to mine.

Sigmound

Chimp
Jul 29, 2011
I have only joined the forum, and haven't read the thread...but I think that a lot people fail to understand addiction.

There is a lot in your post, but I will try and stick to addiction, and perhaps try and explain the way I understand it. However, first I'd like to say that assuming someone has it easy as they are extremely financially well off is rather simplistic. Addiction is usually a consequence of someone self-medicating due to some internal psychological anguish. This anguish is such a large part of their psyche that they often cannot separate this pain from their sense of self. It is not surprising therefore that someone like Amy has lyrics which reflect a very low sense of self-worth and self-esteem. So my point is do not judge someone as having it easy, I would hate to be famous, and I would hate to be in a career that is as vaccuous as the entertainment industry (no offence to anyone here).

So, addiction is a very complex and very dangerous and aggressive condition. It gets progressively worse and approximatley a third of people with substance abuse addictions die at a young age. From the outset it may appear as a choice to get help, and there is an element of choice required to try and manage an addiction. That said, for some the anguish is just unbearable, combined with some very flawed sense of self, associated depression, potential trauma in their past they are scared of dealing with and a biological addiction to "X" and they are one hell of a tough place. But they are people, not addicts. They are people with an addiction. There are some very flawed approaches to addiction, but the right approach, which I won't go into here, but the Minnesota Model is a good start, the right humane approach goes a long way.

I am not a fan of Russell Brand, not my kind of comedy, but this is a good read:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/jul/24/russell-brand-amy-winehouse-woman

I hope this doesn't come across as a personal attack, and feel free to disagree, but I am being unbiased and as truthful as I can.

Now, back to the bikes.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I was not making any judgment on your likability- just pointing out that the offense wasn't caused by one post or thread; its the culmination of all your post and threads.

Some build up a tolerance while others are slowly poisoned... that's all.

Serial, in life, there will be people you meet that you like, and people you meet that you wont. I've actually found great friends in people that I did not like at all when I first met them. But you have your right to your opinion. In that, you need to recognize I have the same right to mine.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
most addicts dont feel they have a problem, the first step to recovery is admitting you are an addict.

imagine everytime you go anywhere people are taking pictures of you with cell phones, asking for autographs, wanting you to pose for a picture with them, and if you dont stop for your fans smile act interested well your an asshole.

celebrity's give up something we all take for granted, the ability to go anywhere with out getting bothered by fans. really think about it next time your having breakfast at a diner, or taking your spouce to a nice quiet dinner, shopping at the mall, riding your bike at the local resort.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC

Maybe you ought to spend a little less time worrying about Charlie Sheen and Amy Winehouse, and a little more time worrying about yourself.

Last edited:

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Are you sure there was an apology in that continued rant about celebrity excess and success or failure??

Apologies are best served simple, if you truly are apologetic.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I gotta start checking in more, I missed a chance to be an ass.

Amy was one of those ones you could see coming. Simple as that. Stand on the train tracks long enough and you'll see a train. Stand there long enough, and the train hits you.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Disagreements should be voiced with more tolerance and respect.

This thread isn't going to get better so let's leave the apology for what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.