Quantcast

App State Race?

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
I know there's some App monkeys on here... The flier says Super D. This might be a dumb question, but how super D is it? A few LMC DH guys are thinking about coming down for the race, but if it's not DH bike worthy I'll probably skip it and leave early for fall break.

Anybody know anything about it? I didn't even know about the race until earlier today.

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
App State has no access to a location for a race worthy of needing a downhill bike. My first two years of racing with the team, we had our races at Dark Mtn. No DH bike needed. Last year we were fortunate enough to be able to race at Hawksnest. This year, the Super D race will start at the top of the Lower Knob descent at Rocky Knob and go down to the end of the rocky branch trail by the parking lot. Fast times will probably be around 4 minutes for this race, but expect a lot of sprinting and you would be hindering yourself on anything more than a 6" bike.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Regardless, the trail that you will race on is ridiculously fun and if you live in banner elk and haven't ridden there yet you are really missing out.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Regardless, the trail that you will race on is ridiculously fun and if you live in banner elk and haven't ridden there yet you are really missing out.
For real! You guys are screwing yourselves if you aren't riding over there at least once a week! Best thing to happen to high country mountain biking ever...

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Sounds like it could be fun.. But the bikes I have to choose from are a DH bike or a DJ bike, so I probably won't do the race. I'll definitely have to check out Rocky Knob though. I haven't heard much about it before now but it looks pretty cool!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Sounds like it could be fun.. But the bikes I have to choose from are a DH bike or a DJ bike, so I probably won't do the race. I'll definitely have to check out Rocky Knob though. I haven't heard much about it before now but it looks pretty cool!
Tell your DH bike it is Wilsons. It will not know the difference.

Jan 21, 2006
Boone, NC
DJ bike won't be much slower than a trail bike overall. Probably faster on the flatter, second half. And yes, I know DII racing sucks, which is why I'm not a part of the cycling team.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
AppState is D1 also bro. You're an idiot for not riding rocky knob yet. Please don't come to our race I don't want to hear you speak. Keep on ridin the internet, bro.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
AppState is D1 also bro. You're an idiot for not riding rocky knob yet. Please don't come to our race I don't want to hear you speak. Keep on ridin the internet, bro.
Don't get so butthurt dude.. I thought the internet was the place to go to ask dumb questions. It actually does sound like a really fun race, but I just made other plans for the weekend, so I'm out.

So thanks for the advice and all the good vibes, but I'm gonna have to check out the park another time.