Quantcast

Appalled or Thrilled?

Are you thrilled or appalled by the senate's actions?

• I'm appalled! Who are the nine dirt bags?

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I'm thrilled to see the senate support basic human rights

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Damn, there went the market for bamboo slivers...

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • I'll feel however the administration tells me to

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Should I be happy that the Senate (including most republicans) voted to add an amendment to the Iraq war funding that:

Bans cruel, inhumane or degrading treatment or punishment against anyone in U.S. government custody regardless of where they are held. Standardizes how service members detain and interrogate terrorism suspects by requiring the military to follow the Army Field Manual that outlines acceptable techniques.

Or should I feel appalled that nine senators voted against the measure and the white house has lobbied against it and is threatening a veto?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Tenchiro said:
I thought that was called the Geneva Convention...
Yeah, I kinda thought that the rules for war were already outlined. Oh wait! That's right, this "government" doesn't follow rules. It makes them up as it goes along.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
The current administration is of the opinion that the geneva convention applies only to uniformed combatants of recognized countries. It classifies the current crop of people as unlawful combatants, and they therefore have no rights, which is hogwash. What's right is right, all prisoners should be treated humanely.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Reactor said:
Or should I feel appalled that nine senators voted against the measure and the white house has lobbied against it and is threatening a veto?
Bush hasn't vetoed anything, I believe. Not even the highway bill, which came in over the limit he set.

If he does veto this, it will be telling. I wonder if this is a preemptive action on the part of the senate to the impending release (pending appeal, of course) of the other Abu Ghraib photos?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Ciaran said:
The Senate is in cahoots with the poptarts.
I was part of a CIA raid on a secret poptart training ground this morning. I can report there's nothing left of that cell in location codename OHsAPTinSF.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Silver said:
Bush hasn't vetoed anything, I believe. Not even the highway bill, which came in over the limit he set.

If he does veto this, it will be telling. I wonder if this is a preemptive action on the part of the senate to the impending release (pending appeal, of course) of the other Abu Ghraib photos?
You're right. He hasn't figured out which one is the "veto" button on the video game console they replaced his pen and paper with.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Bacon flavored Freedom-tarts, with cheese and bacon filling and bacon-fat frosting for that special freedom touch. Made with love in the United States.

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
kinghami3 said:
Bacon flavored Freedom-tarts, with cheese and bacon filling and bacon-fat frosting for that special freedom touch. Made with love in the United States.

nah... you gotta use Canadian Back Bacon

And Canadian beer, and yer good!