Quantcast

apparently, my neighbor lives in a cave

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I am not usually one to just post random stuff, but I have to get this out somehow. My brain hurts when I think about it.

Last night, the girl who lives next to me said to a friend (who whistled for a moment leaving her room), "Woah! You can whistle?!" Well, silly us, we had assumed that whistling was not an uncommon skill. She tried and couldn't even come close to getting a single note out. Do you live in a cave? How can you not whistle or at least know that it's a pretty common thing to know?

This is not an isolated incident: I called her G once as a joke (I'm so white that it has to be a joke) and she had NO IDEA what I was saying at all.

I mentioned I watched the movie Contact yesterday (the Carl Sagan movie, not the trials one) and it came out that she had no idea who Jodie Foster is. I was like, "Ummm...Nell, Taxi Driver, The Accused, Silence of the Lambs, Panic Room....anything?" She hadn't seen a single one and I doubt that she had heard of most of them. This same thing happened last week when someone mentioned James Earl Jones.

My friend called her a "ho" and she really had no clue what the kid was talking about.

I was telling a story the other day and used the 4 letter "c" word in it (it was integral to the story). She recounted how she tried to use that word in scrabble or some game and her mother and sister were a bit offended. Turns out she didn't know what it meant or that it was a really, really offensive word. This was about 3 months ago....she's 19 or 20 years old.....

...the list goes on. Now, I don't pretend to know pop culture. I don't watch TV (maybe 15 minutes a week, often less), I don't listen to the radio, I don't see many movies, most of my time is spent in rural Vermont, etc. I thought this girl must have been from some backwater town or lived on a commune or something. Surpise, surprise, she lives like 20 minutes outside of L.A.

Perhaps all of this is particularly interesting to me because I have a date with her tommorrow night, which is a whole different story....

J

JRB

You should try to hit that. She is clearly occupied with sex and would tear you apart. Having sex every waking moment is the only way you could not know that stuff.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Really interesting topic...

Some people have very very small worlds... some of these worlds are just different than ours... I certainly understand that my dad (a physician) would not have a clue about Puff Daddy, or what 'spat-ball' is, or even what the word "Bling" means. An older person (generation gap) has a good excuse, especially if their world shelters them from the popular - younger-centric culture. But those that are of an age that is so widely targeted by the “Marketing Monster” of modern capitalism is downright strange. Do they shut it out, and just not process it or is it that they purposefully (and it really has to be on purpose these days) take such back roads as to avoid being hit by what is convention?

Example... my sis is 36, a college professor, and doesn’t watch TV....

She... never... heard... of Sponge Bob..... :eek:

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
dh girlie said:
Ok...I can't whistle...I know lots of people can and some can do it really well like with that fluttering sound in it...(annoys the hell out of me either way), but I cannot whistle to save my life...
fair enough. But if you heard someone whistle would you react the same way as if they had just ridden into your house riding a unicycle, using a hula hoop and ordering a pizza at the same time?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Crashby said:

Some people have very very small worlds... some of these worlds are just different than ours... I certainly understand that my dad (a physician) would not have a clue about Puff Daddy, or what 'spat-ball' is, or even what the word "Bling" means. An older person (generation gap) has a good excuse, especially if their world shelters them from the popular - younger-centric culture. But those that are of an age that is so widely targeted by the “Marketing Monster” of modern capitalism is downright strange. Do they shut it out, and just not process it or is it that they purposefully (and it really has to be on purpose these days) take such back roads as to avoid being hit by what is convention?

Example... my sis is 36, a college professor, and doesn’t watch TV....

She... never... heard... of Sponge Bob..... :eek:
Exactly. I don't claim that any person has an obligation to be involved and a full part of (generally stupid, highly materialistic, often ridiculous) popular culture. But, I do expect that someone my age from a cosmopolitan area would have considerable exposure to it, whether they like it or not. Regardless, she didn't know what freakin c--- meant!

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
i bet her family will force you into marriage if you so much as hold hands during your date. stay away! :dead:

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
JRogers said:
fair enough. But if you heard someone whistle would you react the same way as if they had just ridden into your house riding a unicycle, using a hula hoop and ordering a pizza at the same time?
Well...actually...I can't ride a unicycle or use a hoola hoop...and I certainly admire those who can...I CAN order pizza...hahaha! But no...I would not...I probably wouldn't even be THAT impressed with one that hula hoops whilst unicycling...I saw some dudes in Tahoe doing more shhhit on their unicycles than I'd do on my dh bike...which probably isn't saying much...I'll just shut up now.

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
Crashby said:

Some people have very very small worlds... some of these worlds are just different than ours...
True. Even two people who grow up on the same street can have very different influences and exposure.

As a kid, I lived in apartments where fistfights and kids pulling knives were not uncommon. We were latchkey kids and we caused trouble. I was smoking at age 10. When we moved five miles down the road, I found the kids on my street were totally different. Their parents were home, paid attention, and talked to each other. We had a lot of fun, but we were all different. Some weren't allowed to watch cable TV. Some weren't allowed to play video games. Some could only play certain games or watch certain shows. It was wild for me to learn that families had different rules.

In high school I met kids who had been having sex since junior high, smoking pot, running away from home, etc. Some of these kids lived just a few blocks from me but I had no idea what was going on over there.

My wife went to the same high school, but she was extremely sheltered. No booze, no dope, no cable TV (not even primetime TV as a kid), no makeup until high school, no dating until age 16, etc. She's all grown up now, been to Europe, been to college, etc (we have now spent half our life together), but some of the effects are lasting:

One day we were watching an old "Eight is Enough" re-run (there was NOTHING on), and she looked over and said, "Why are all these people living in the same house?" I lost it. I had forgotten how sheltered her childhood had been.

J

JRB

Dartman said:
"You just put your lips together... and blow."
It's the having her lips together while she blows part that is killing her. :think:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
haha almost sounds like you found a "Nell"....

You can be her "Guy Anjel" and give here a "Skooer in da bellay". :p

Sorry man, just that whole Nell movie was hell for me, wish i never woulda watched it.... :think: Of all the years thinkin Jodie Foster was kinda hot, then watchin a movie where she show off her boobs and not even remotely being able to get turned on by it, well that just sucks.

Megan Black

I rocked whistler in a mini skirt and f$@* me boot
Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
dh girlie said:
uhhh BAD advice...she's already whacked...and right next door = crazy bitch stalking...
:stupid:

my advice is this: if there is ANYTHING about a chick that you're not so sure about, don't go there. i don't care if she's really hot or does it for you in every other way. you've SEEN the results.....don't become another stoney98 or konabumm

or do, and then tell us about it so we can laugh at you! ;)

:D

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Tap it, but make sure she realizes that you are D-A-N-G-E-R-O-U-S. This will have one of two effects- either she'll be fearful and not ever cross you -OR- she will be doubly attracted to you and ride your thingy like her very existence depended upon it.

Sounds like you have a decision to take.

J

JRB

llkoolkeg said:
Tap it, but make sure she realizes that you are D-A-N-G-E-R-O-U-S. This will have one of two effects- either she'll be fearful and not ever cross you -OR- she will be doubly attracted to you and ride your thingy like her very existence depended upon it.

Two in a row no less :thumb:

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
hm, i agree with loco, then i think i found out his name is Steve.
so is Mine
must be the same person.
Steve

Megan Black

I rocked whistler in a mini skirt and f$@* me boot
Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
llkoolkeg said:

sounds like all he really has to do to impress her is whistle!

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
To answer some questions, no she was not home schooled (but did go to private school). She is intelligent in the intellectual, bookish sense. She's a physics major (I live in a dorm at Middlebury College, if you couldn't figure it out), gets good grades etc. She is, however, a pretty big dork. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I mean, I'm a dork too. She's not what I would call "hot" but is certainly attractive. Runs on the xc and track teams, so is in good shape.

Part of the reason that this apparent lack of knowledge seems odd is because, in most other ways, she's pretty normal. There's definitely no "nuts" vibe coming off her in normal conversation.

As for getting some booty, I really don't know what to think. Actually, because of this whole subplot, I cannot be sure that her interest in me is anything besides platonic.

Long story (somewhat) short: I asked her if she wanted to go out sometime about a week ago. Essentially, her response was "Yeah, we can go out some time...but I don't want you to think that that means I am interested in you at all." She then INSISTED that I pick a time and place if we are to go anywhere. Fast-forward. She nervously/oddly/awkwardly asks me if I am going to this little holiday party here. I said I was thinking about it (and by thinking, I meant seriously considering not going at all). Next day she says "By 'are you going,' I meant 'do you want to go with me?'" Well, she broke her own rule about me deciding the where and when and showed unexpected initiative in the process. Does this cancel the other claim as well? It might sound rather clear, but I consulted a friend of mine who knows this girl better than I do and he was really confused after hearing the unabridged story, which has a few more events and characters.

Edit: man, I am such a geek.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Maybe she just focuses her attention on more important things than pop culture.

I would say HIT IT! As long as she doesn't live next door.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
JRogers said:
To answer some questions, no she was not home schooled (but did go to private school). She is intelligent in the intellectual, bookish sense. She's a physics major (I live in a dorm at Middlebury College, if you couldn't figure it out), gets good grades etc. She is, however, a pretty big dork. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I mean, I'm a dork too. She's not what I would call "hot" but is certainly attractive. Runs on the xc and track teams, so is in good shape.

Part of the reason that this apparent lack of knowledge seems odd is because, in most other ways, she's pretty normal. There's definitely no "nuts" vibe coming off her in normal conversation.

As for getting some booty, I really don't know what to think. Actually, because of this whole subplot, I cannot be sure that her interest in me is anything besides platonic.

Long story (somewhat) short: I asked her if she wanted to go out sometime about a week ago. Essentially, her response was "Yeah, we can go out some time...but I don't want you to think that that means I am interested in you at all." She then INSISTED that I pick a time and place if we are to go anywhere. Fast-forward. She nervously/oddly/awkwardly asks me if I am going to this little holiday party here. I said I was thinking about it (and by thinking, I meant seriously considering not going at all). Next day she says "By 'are you going,' I meant 'do you want to go with me?'" Well, she broke her own rule about me deciding the where and when and showed unexpected initiative in the process. Does this cancel the other claim as well? It might sound rather clear, but I consulted a friend of mine who knows this girl better than I do and he was really confused after hearing the unabridged story, which has a few more events and characters.

huh?
Dude just take her out and if you guys hit it off, cool. :p

Worst mistake ever is for guys and girls trying to figure out what each other is thinking.....

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Ciaran said:
Maybe she just focuses her attention on more important things than pop culture.

I would say HIT IT! As long as she doesn't live next door.
Well, not *technically* next door. She does live about 10-20 feet away from me, however.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
JRogers said:

She's got the serious hot's for you and is playing dumb.

It goes like this: She's a physics major and crazy smart. Males kinda have a problem with females who are smarter than them. She knows this, and plays innocent so you can be the strong, smart, male.

..... and it looks to have worked. :love:

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
JRogers said:
I

Perhaps all of this is particularly interesting to me because I have a date with her tommorrow night, which is a whole different story....

Yeah.. Uh... When I squeese your hooters it just means that I am your friend!!
:think: ;)

JRogers said:
To answer some ... blah, blah, etc... such a geek.
Time to stop overanalyzing things. Like Skooks says, hang around with her a bit, you and she might or might not be a hit with each other. Doesn't cost either of you anything to spend some time.

On the cultural isolation question, maybe some people just learn to ignore hype. There's probably minimal value in being able to identify Jodie Foster.

J

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
johnbryanpeters said:
Time to stop overanalyzing things. Like Skooks says, hang around with her a bit, you and she might or might not be a hit with each other. Doesn't cost either of you anything to spend some time.

On the cultural isolation question, maybe some people just learn to ignore hype. There's probably minimal value in being able to identify Jodie Foster.

J
It's not really overanalyzing. She basically said she was not interested in me, and then showed interest. We are already pretty good friends and we live close by, so I don't want to do something stupid and screw it all up. I know I'll go out, there'll be a bunch of other people there and it will be fun. I still don't want to act like the dolt I am.

I agree with your second statement, generally. The only problem is that she doesn't seem to actively avoid modern cultural things, so not knowing several things that I would bet 95% of the people in my age group know is somewhat odd. It's generally just too hard to avoid this type of stuff and not know it. I'm not saying there's real value in it, just that it seems odd that she doesn't know, that's all.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
First: 20 min outside LA? What town? That could explain something.

Second: Big dork? That's cool imo. Like someone said, it could just be a ploy...

Third: In the same dorm? Doesn't matter, I did it, had some fun, didn't work out, but we still enjoyed the time spent together.

Fourth: Don't wanna mess up the friendship? Guys and girls are meant to be together. Watch "When Harry Met Sally" if you need further explanation.

Fif: Guts and instinct are the only true measure, analyzation doesn't do jack. If she's put herself in a position/situation for you to make a move, don't waste it because it's really a well-placed move on her part.

Sixth: Don't sweat it, contrary to popular belief, all things work out in the end.

Word.