Quantcast

appetizers?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I have my own list of appetizers we usually make but I'm looking for something new.

maybe some kind of dip or spread? something that can be cooked ahead of time and taken to a party would be great. I know the party I'm going to will have a grill but I have no idea how large it is (some people have those two people little things...)

suggest on! :thumb:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
pnj said:
I have my own list of appetizers we usually make but I'm looking for something new.

maybe some kind of dip or spread? something that can be cooked ahead of time and taken to a party would be great. I know the party I'm going to will have a grill but I have no idea how large it is (some people have those two people little things...)

suggest on! :thumb:
hummus is a good one. roast some cumin and coriander, grind. chop some garlic. in a processer, add drained and rinsed chickpeas, and slowly drizzle in oil until you get the consistency you desire. add the spices, along w/ a couple of crushed dried chiles and some salt and pepper. season w/ lemon juice, serve w/ pita wedges.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
1 tbsp butter
1/4 c chopped onion
1 c shredded Parmesan cheese
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 dash hot pepper sauce
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp curry powder (optional)
1 c mayonnaise
1 10 oz package of frozen spinach
1 14 oz can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped

Sauté onion in the butter. Thaw and drain the spinach and press out all of the excess moisture. Combine remaining ingredients with the onion and spinach in a large bowl. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 1-quart casserole dish. Bake at 350º for 20 minutes or until bubbly. Serve with tortilla chips or pita.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
and a breakfast...

hummus is an old standard. I was thinking of maybe a lentil style spread.

lentils, cummin, coriander, salt/pepper, garlic, onions and chicken/veggie stock. cook until lentils are cooked, simmer until most of the liquid is gone and it's somewhat thick.
purree or not. spread on flat bread of some sort..

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
yep, little weiner dogs wrapped in dough season is here.....
every sunday or so.:)

come on, man, gimmie those treasured reciepes.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Cold Taco Dip

Mix until smooth, 2 8oz. pkgs cream cheese (let it get to room temp before you mix it as it blends easier) with 1 16 oz. container sour cream and 1 package of your favorite taco seasoning. (I generally mix this up the night before and then assemble the next day so it has time to get to it's full flavor).

Spread the above mix about 1/4 inch thick on a throw-away pizza tray (this should be enough for 2 large trays).

Top with a little of your favorite salsa (just enough to cover).
Next, top with finely chopped lettuce, tomatos, peppers, onions, olives, etc.
Finally, top with shredded cheddar cheese and sprinkle the top with Chili Powder.

Dip with Tortilla chips or Fritos.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Tomato Bacon Cups are also a big hit!!!

8 slices bacon, cooked crisp (more or less to taste I think I usually double this and use a whole pound of bacon)
1 medium tomato
1/2 small onion
3 oz. shredded Swiss cheese (cheddar also works fine)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp. basil
10 oz. Refrigerated biscuit dough (the kind that has layers to separate )

Recipe

Preheat oven to 375.....In a bowl, crumble cooked bacon, dice tomato & onion; mix in cheese, basil and mayo. This can be done ahead of time and refrigerated until time to bake.

Separate each biscuit into thirds. Spray muffin pans and form each biscuit third into bottom and sides of muffin pan. Use your fingers or a small tart shaper. Biscuit doesn't have to go all the way up the edge of muffin tin.

Fill each muffin cup with bacon mixture. Bake 10 -12 minutes until golden brown. Ease out of muffin cups and serve. They are great served hot but were as good cold.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
SkaredShtles said:
Oh - and then there's this artichoke dip she makes....... crap - I'll try to get that one too. You mix artichokes, feta, parmesan, green chilis, pimentos..... some other stuff, and bake it.

:drool:
I love hot spinach & artichoke dip...I have a recipe for a good one too!

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
tomatoes and mushrooms are pretty much the absolute worst things to me, food wise. holy yuck.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
If you can figure out how much room there will be, grill skewers of decadent treats for grill parties, they cook fast and you can send em around on plates with toothpicks. Depends on how much you want to spend...I've done bacon-wrapped shrimp and scallops, honey-garlic lamb rib chops, sausages, veggies, etc.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
OK...I know you dont like fish but the anchovies are very subtle.....

Polenta sanidwiches.

make some polenta or get the tube or instant or whatever...
make the middle, which is capers (rinsed), anchovies (rinsed & packed in salt if available), garlic, & EVOO. Put in food processor turn on & drizzle ovee until a paste.

spread between pieces of polenta.

dip in egg bath. fry in evoo.

eat with some fine spirits & enjoy.

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
Bacon wrapped dates :drool:

1. Preheat the oven to 500°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.

2. Soak 24 toothpicks in water for 15 minutes. Wrap each date with a piece of bacon, and skewer date with toothpick to hold bacon in place. (Soaking the toothpicks in water prevents them from splintering and burning.)

3. Place dates seam-sides down on baking sheet.

4. Bake until tops are well browned, about 6 minutes. Turn, and bake until evenly browned and the bacon is cooked and crisp, 2 to 4 minutes more.

5. Drain on paper towels. Let cool slightly before serving

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Atomic Dog said:
Bacon wrapped dates :drool:

1. Preheat the oven to 500°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.

2. Soak 24 toothpicks in water for 15 minutes. Wrap each date with a piece of bacon, and skewer date with toothpick to hold bacon in place. (Soaking the toothpicks in water prevents them from splintering and burning.)

3. Place dates seam-sides down on baking sheet.

4. Bake until tops are well browned, about 6 minutes. Turn, and bake until evenly browned and the bacon is cooked and crisp, 2 to 4 minutes more.

5. Drain on paper towels. Let cool slightly before serving
those rock. they are even better on the grill.