Quantcast

Apple AirPort Express rocks!

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
For my birthday, my wife bought me an Apple AirPort Express wireless router. This thing rocks! It allows you to wirelessly send music from your computer (mac or pc) to anywhere within signal reach (50m I believe). If you have a bunch of .mp3's on your computer but want to listen to it in another room, this is the answer. It took me all of 1/2 hour last night to get it set up. I just plugged my el-cheapo powered speakers into the AirPort audio port, my cable modem into the Ethernet port and the AirPort Express into an electrical outlet. Turned everything on and my computer instantly recognized a new wireless network. Ran the installation CD and now my verison of iTunes gives me an option to play my music either through the computer or through the network.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Yeah they're pretty awesome - installation is easy. If you get another one you can set up your printer to be wireless too...and if you have a huge house you can put another one elsewhere in the house to extend the range...so many possibilities.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Five said:
Yeah they're pretty awesome - installation is easy. If you get another one you can set up your printer to be wireless too...and if you have a huge house you can put another one elsewhere in the house to extend the range...so many possibilities.
As it is, I could connect my printer to it right now. Of course, that would put my printer behind my couch, but I could still do it!

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
pixelninja said:
As it is, I could connect my printer to it right now. Of course, that would put my printer behind my couch, but I could still do it!
Hahaha - that would be weird! But yeah, you could do it.
Friends of mine have one in their kitchen and in their living room and they send music to them from their G5. So, cool.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
gigapower said:
I have two of them in my hosue, and I am thinking about getting one for my garage now. Set up is so easy.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can you only broadcast music to one station at a time?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Of course you can achieve the same with similar gear desgned for PCs, but they're not as sleek or good looking. Do you know if these things are PC compatible? Do you have to use iTunes or anything? Deets please...

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Changleen said:
Of course you can achieve the same with similar gear desgned for PCs, but they're not as sleek or good looking. Do you know if these things are PC compatible? Do you have to use iTunes or anything? Deets please...
What gear are you talking about?

I'm currently using my AirPort Express with a PC. And yes, you have to use it with iTunes, which you can get for a mac or pc.

I'm not sure what people's problem is with iTunes. I've found it to be incredibly easy to use.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
pixelninja said:
I'm currently using my AirPort Express with a PC. And yes, you have to use it with iTunes, which you can get for a mac or pc.

I'm not sure what people's problem is with iTunes. I've found it to be incredibly easy to use.
Ditto...Airport Express + PC + iTunes here as well. It all works very well for me.

gigapower

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
Tulsa, OK
I use iTunes on both a PowerMac G5 and a couple PCs and i think its a fantastic applicaiotn, just like all of Apple's other apps ;)

Now with the Airport Express I plugged them into the wall, configured them and I was rocking out to some Murder City Devils streamed from my computer on my HT in a matter of 20 or so minutes.

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
I have it as well...f*ing awesome. Between that and my iPod I haven't burnt a cd in over a year.

I still get shivers using the little pulldown in iTunes to switch to the stereo in the other room. Uber cool.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Yeah, they're pretty awesome. For me I use the airport w/ my ibook. I love itunes, haven't bought a cd in awhile. I put everything on my ipod hook it up to the car stereo and I'm good to go...no need to hear the mindless blabbering from the radio dj's.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i got a streambox (from slimbox) which i haven't configured yet, but looks to be good once it's going. can stream internet radio, mp3s, ogg vorbis, i think pretty much every compression scheme. it can't play stuff purchased from iTunes though, becuase of the DRM stuff. that's ok, i don't have any of that .

:D

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
narlus said:
i got a streambox (from slimbox) which i haven't configured yet, but looks to be good once it's going. can stream internet radio, mp3s, ogg vorbis, i think pretty much every compression scheme. it can't play stuff purchased from iTunes though, becuase of the DRM stuff. that's ok, i don't have any of that .

:D
linky???

gigapower

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
Tulsa, OK
I'm currently laying here in my bed listening to some tunes streamed from my laptop to my stereo in the bedroom, ahhhh.....Airport Express does indeed rock.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I just hate being forced to use a particular product - like iTunes. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with it. I also have a huge collection of music already. Maybe I'll try iTunes for a bit.