Quantcast

Apple-ists

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
For your own entertainment: Make note of cars that have apple stickers in the corner of their back window. Notice how often in the other corner is a gay pride sticker. :p

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
from a development pov: can you put platform-independent, browser independent, scalable, functioning code into a delivery stream?

then i don't care what you use.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I just want it to be simple, but not so simple it's frustrating. I've tweaked a few Macs before and I have Safari on my home computer to watch video, etc that would seem to display "quicker".

But sometimes the simplicity of Mac stuff makes me go "But I want a frickin' BACK button" or "I want to use my right mouse button" :shakefist:. I then stop using it and hop on IE9 and find something that works. The negative of Windows is the mass of clutter in every program.

Oh, and Kenan...my contract with Verizon runs out 05/29, so I want to tinker with your iPhone to see if I should get one. I'm guessing that transposing all my contacts will be a nightmare not unlike trying to live through a SAW movie. :think:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
At that time I swapped their computer to Windows 7 box
In the absence of OSX arriving a decade ago, do you think Windows 7 would exist?

It's nice to know that given 10 years, infinite resources, and a fully functioning example of a simple interface, it only takes 3 completely new OS's for a PC to be as usable to the average person as a Mac.

Apple has it's flaws and shortcomings, but if you fail to recognize why the products are so popular, or the degree of innovation and improvement that Apple has driven in other companies, then you're only proving your own inability to empathize with the average person OR a religious hatred of a brand.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
In the absence of OSX arriving a decade ago, do you think Windows 7 would exist?

It's nice to know that given 10 years, infinite resources, and a fully functioning example of a simple interface, it only takes 3 completely new OS's for a PC to be as usable to the average person as a Mac.

Apple has it's flaws and shortcomings, but if you fail to recognize why the products are so popular, or the degree of innovation and improvement that Apple has driven in other companies, then you're only proving your own inability to empathize with the average person OR a religious hatred of a brand.
This person has used Windows XP just fine which was also in their household, their own personal box happened to be a Mac Mini. They are truly a novice user is the point and to them NEITHER system (even after half a decade) was easy to use and learn to them. And you completely ignored the fact their own mother was a self-taught Windows user who is far more capable - she lives home alone with no other computer users.

Unless MS switches kernels, OSX did not cause any significant change to the basis of their OS. MS has been adding things here and there but their major consumer OS change happened over 10 years ago with the release of Windows 2000 (start of the migration of desktop users to the NT kernel). 2000 was the first version of Windows 5 (XP the second - the major consumer push). Vista was the first version of Windows 6 (7 the second). MS has not yet made a huge kernel change like Apple did when they switched from a toy (9 and prior) to real modern kernel in OSX. MS developed the NT kernel released in 1993 in response to the growth of Unix in professional use - THAT is the reason MS developed a better OS 2 decades ago...

Another history lesson for you - MS bailed out Apple in 1997 for antitrust reasons.

Apple (or MS) is not a Bell Labs or PARC and they never will be. Apple releases mature products but rarely if ever do they come up with the ideas that they tout as their own innovation - that is the very reason they are so successful in some respects. These companies market and commercialize existing new technology in a more mature version. They never invent as both early pioneers and adopters rarely succeed. The reality is that OSX has never made an impact either - they are not running most PC in the world and never will. This is not even close to the consumer electronics side of Apple either.

A little personal history to clue you in, I am an OS agnostic. Before school we had an Apple IIc at home. In my elementary school we had Commodore 64, various Apple II, and one or two Atari 800. The first PC I bought growing up for myself (ie not the family computer) was an Commodore Amiga 500 - the REAL PC innovator of the time - not the status-quo technology from Apple or MS of that time period. In high school I had one those POS Apple Newton 120 PDAs. When I got my first significant support job in IT in the 90s, while people where playing their Windows and Mac toys, I was supporting professional workstations and servers from Sun running Solaris at Lehman Brothers. Today I usually have at least a few OS floating around on my machines and like I've said numerous time on this site, the Linux kernel is technically superior to Windows or OSX (though its still too rough as real desktop option for the average user - being the leader on the technical front is only part of the puzzle).

Last edited: