Quantcast

Apple loves MTB apparently

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
90% of the time I'm surfing RM, it's thru Windows on my Macbook. It's a very versatile machine that I have used every day for the past 2 years but I'm not convinced that I'd buy another one.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
missing my point? AMD desktop ≠ pro level laptop AND desktop w/ high end display? if money were no object, I'd have a macbook air in a private jet and 1000 virgins
You said people pay more for Mac w/ same or similar specs. I gave a counter-example.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I'm currently running a Quad core at 3GHz, 8 gb ram, 1.5 TB of space and ...gasp!....vista 64. And ya know what? I'm happy.

It took a while to get used to vista, but once I figured out how to set it up, turn off the garbage, and shave off the junk, this sucker HAULS. PS CS3 opens in under 3 seconds every time, and it handles giant files like nothing. Well, the full size civic graphics at 300 DPi (6.2gb file FLATTENED), that was a bit of a hassle. :)

The problem that I have with Macs isn't so much the hardware, its the smugness of the Mac Clan.

"theres no viruses!" - Well of course not, who would bother writing one for 4% of the market?

"Its faster!"- No, it isn't.

"Its easier!"- So is fisher price.

It goes on and on.

Side note. Speccing out a computer close to mine was about 60% MORE then what I paid. Scary.

AND my iPod died in 5 months. F U Apple.

proglife

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Annapolis, MD
PS CS3 opens in under 3 seconds every time
Damn, that's awesome. (I don't close my CS3, but it def doesn't open that fast when I do have to open it)

The problem that I have with Macs isn't so much the hardware, its the smugness of the Mac Clan.
It's pretty awful. Anyone who takes great pride in their platform is a nerd and has worse personal problems that aren't as apparent. (that said, i do get excited during Steve Job's keynote addresses)

Side note. Speccing out a computer close to mine was about 60% MORE then what I paid. Scary.
c'mon now...you're withholding some truth here.

AND my iPod died in 5 months. F U Apple.[/QUOTE]

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I'm one of those IT guys, have both as well as various other flavors on x86/64.

It's all preference and intended use; Both are stable and capable. Inevitable some wizened few will passionately disagree per their respected favor.

And most dev guys are running Windows or some form of *nix (other than OSX - we run SUSE Enterprise and some Gentoo); if you mean webdev, then sure, but moot.

Last edited:

big cal

Monkey
Nov 18, 2001
Melbourne, Australia
It took a while to get used to vista, but once I figured out how to set it up, turn off the garbage, and shave off the junk, this sucker HAULS.
That's what pisses me off evertime i use windows.... So much crap i don't need, information i don't want and being forced to do things the way i don't want to. OSX is just a generally pleasurable experience. You would be a bit silly if you built up such a loaded machine and customized it to your specification and you didn't like it. Thing is most people aren't going to be doing that.

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
Not sure where you get your info, but at my school the ibook is 100 cheaper, and the macbook pro's are 200 cheaper for college students. Sure that is a decent discount, but not a deal breaker. The macbook pro is better than anything on the market. Fast, quiet, thin, and a stable OS that is Unix based. What more could I want? A double mouse button....

There is the key right there. Apple essentially gives their products away to any one connected to a school in any way. If you think about it, it is pretty effective....much like McDonalds and happy meals.

a ton of freshman college kids get macs because they are sooooooo much cheaper than any thing else....then they spend the next four or so years learning all the software and functionality in the mac world. Hard to change to a different platform if all your knowledge is with one...they have been indoctrinated.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I'm currently running a Quad core at 3GHz, 8 gb ram, 1.5 TB of space and ...gasp!....vista 64. And ya know what? I'm happy.
I am running dual quad core 3.2s with XP64, 16GB ram, 1TB 15Krpm RAID array with 1.5TB backup, and it angers me that I can't put iTunes on here so I can download apps for my iPhone.. It's a conspiracy I tell you. I'm going back to the abacus.

Last edited:

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Yeah, well I bet I can throw a baseball further so eat it. :)

Why can't you put iTunes on there? I had it on mine when I had the asspod.
Unless there is something new, I can't get an XP64 version of iTunes to load up. I should really be doing that kind of thing on my laptop anyways..

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I am running dual quad core 3.2s with XP64, 16GB ram, 1TB 15Krpm RAID array with 1.5TB backup, and it angers me that I can't put iTunes on here so I can download apps for my iPhone.. It's a conspiracy I tell you. I'm going back to the abacus.
I was going to ask why you have such a beast for a workstation, then I noticed who you IS!

I have a similar build (Dual X5450's, 16gb, 1tb array) - but mines an ESX server with a full 2008 server infrastructure and 4 workstation VM's.

err, sry 4 the geekmode...

Last edited:

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
It's not very hard to switch platforms. I'm a life-long Mac user, but I found that the PC's at my old work were very easy to use and adapt to. There were definitely things I had to get help with, but anyone who claims it's hard to learn the other system is a retard. XP and OSX are blindingly similar.

The only thing worse than a computer nerd is a computer nerd who tries to convince the world in a Mac thread that Macs are complete garbage. WTF?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
How did this become a pc vs. mac pissing match? It all comes down to what tool works best for you.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
How did this become a pc vs. mac pissing match? It all comes down to what tool works best for you.

That was sort of my point as well....I was just saying that Apple does a great job getting people on their platform 'early' via their form of marketing. Not sure how that got twisted to me bieng a 'mac hater'.

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
Looks great to me, I got that email as well, LOL when saw this posted!

Horses for courses, Ive had the pleasure of using MAC a few times over the years and always been impressed with it esspecially for my needs, last PC I bought I was going to get a MAC and I got diverted after much coersion and beers from an IT tech, I bought a compaq and WinXP and hated it ever since, no way ever again, Im going MAC Pro when I can:cheers:

Once ya go MAC ya never go BACK:cheers:

matsO

Monkey
Aug 26, 2006
The manual for Final Cut express from 2004 used Santa cruz "video/photos", i.e. its been going on a while.