Quantcast

Apple Macbook Pro, opinions?

Trail Time

Chimp
Nov 23, 2005
Just looking at notebooks, just wondering what you all think of the new mac, Im leaning towards apple for a couple reasons. I realize few people have it, just looking for speculation

thanks

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
i'm typing this on a macbook pro 2.0/2 gb/7200 rpm 100 gb beast, and it's great. photoshop runs under emulation at about the speed of a 1.33 ghz G4, not bad, and many other apps large and small are coming out in universal binary editions.

the screen is really bright, too...

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
My family has a new imac, and I'm typing on a ibook g4, we love them both. They are our first macs ever, and I'll never go back. I know thats not exactly what you wanted but it sounds like you're turning to the white side, I would definetly say go for it!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I am waiting on the MacBook for about 6 more months. The price will start to come down as more are offered, then the applications will be better supported.

But I wants one!

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I'll be replacing my PowerBook G4 with a MacBook eventually, but I'd wait a few months if you can...let them work out some more bugs, and there will be more universal software. Also, I would expect they change the case before the end of the year if you care about that sort of thing.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm not a mac guy at all, but I have to say, I love the new power plug. I'm constantly kicking my laptop cord since it's always plugged in and the cord runs right next to the sofa. I've already broken two plugs. Fortunately, the plugs are replacable since I use a universal power supply, but I'd rather not have to spend $8 on a replacable tip.

Great, simple little innovation :thumb:

Trail Time

Chimp
Nov 23, 2005
Some more background info, this would be used as a college computer and would not be purchased for a while. I would definitly wait for the bugs to be sorted out and some case upgrades as well. I do not do any gaming, design, just normal stuff, I like a very organized and presentable setup. Fast and neat is my style notebook. I am not rich so this is a big investment. Can you give me some options on what memory and ram and stuff to select. I will be talking to my computer guy as well, just looking for opinions. Like I said it will be used for common application mainly. Also looking for opinions from powerbook users, thanks

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Trail Time said:
Some more background info, this would be used as a college computer and would not be purchased for a while. I would definitly wait for the bugs to be sorted out and some case upgrades as well. I do not do any gaming, design, just normal stuff, I like a very organized and presentable setup. Fast and neat is my style notebook. I am not rich so this is a big investment. Can you give me some options on what memory and ram and stuff to select. I will be talking to my computer guy as well, just looking for opinions. Like I said it will be used for common application mainly. Also looking for opinions from powerbook users, thanks
- if you're pinching pennies get the "slower" model (it'll still be plenty fast and will depreciate less in absolute $ amount).
- get it with one stick of ram or the base: don't order extra ram from apple, as it's available 3rd party for a fraction of the cost, and installing it just requires a $2.50 00 philips head screwdriver and 2 minutes.
- applecare is a good idea for laptops
- make sure you get the educational pricing!