Quantcast

Apple Macbook?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'm thinking about picking up a 13" Macbook direct from Apple.

Are there any problems with them that are common?

I like their interface and features a lot. I'm aware I could probably get a better bargain from Dell but that doesn't matter too much to me, the things like iSight and expose make it worth it for me. I just want to make sure there aren't a bunch of lemons floating around.

Thanks!

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I have one. It's great. Had a warranty heat issue at the start, but that was an easy fix.

Tech forum has some info.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Do you ever feel that the screen is too small? It's hard to visualize using a 13 while typing on my 20 right now, I guess I'll have to check one out.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
No. The Dell I had before was a bit bigger, but the clarity on this thing is much nicer. I do have issues running multiple programs at once, I should mention. Usually Safari + microsoft office slows this thing down alot, but other things run just fine like itunes.
If Im playing with photoshop i do much better to run only that.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Does it have Expose like the new desktops? If not that would really turn me off of it.

EDIT: What's your processor speed? And do you have 1 or 2 gigs of Ram?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
1.83 Intel Core Duo
2 gigs ram

I pretty much have the bottom end one, and is Expose the new photo software? Cause mine just has regular old iphoto, but again I bought mine back in may or something so I dont know what they've got now. To be honest, Im not a real big computer nerd, I just got this thing for school, and it works well.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
I've got a 15" MacBook Pro and absolutely love it. Like Burley's, mine gets pretty hot when running at full steam, but it hasn't caused any performance problem yet.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Expose is a button you press that slides all the windows apart so you can select which one you want. If you don't know how to use it, LEARN. It is SO sweet on my iMac.

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
go for it, I had the same dilema about 6 months ago. I bought the 2nd level macbook with the 2.0 duo proccesor and the 80gb hd upgrade and I've been loving it ever since. The widescreen style of the macbooks really make for a nice viewing window

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
I just bought a 2ghz Intel Core Duo Black Mac Book about 2 months ago and it works so good. 13 inches of real estate is plenty but it's really a personnal preference (coming from a 12 inch iBook, I love the difference). Only thing is that it badly needs some RAM; 512 is definitely not enough for non Uniververal Binaries apps.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Hm, gotta decide between the regular and Pro. The touchpad on the Pro sounds really nice, and a bit more space for PS and other apps sounds nice. The price isn't so nice sounding though.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I would go with the Pro, the extra screen size and better keyboard alone are worth it. And the aluminum case is a big improvement over plastic.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah, I'm leaning that way. I'm wondering if I can find a refurb or a good deal somewhere, yet retain a warranty and have it be legit.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
I've got a Macbook and I love it. The screen size is perfect (for me). It tends to bog down a bit but I think it's because of my [lack of] ram.
2 Ghz Core Dua
512 mb ram

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Expose is a button you press that slides all the windows apart so you can select which one you want. If you don't know how to use it, LEARN. It is SO sweet on my iMac.
Actually it is one of 3 buttons. f9, f10 and f11 all offer expose features. Show all windows, show all windows in a certain application, show desktop and hide all windows.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Apple sells refurbs. Check out the Refurbished link under Special Deals in the Apple store online. They have a bit less RAM than the new ones, but you save a pretty good chunk of change and still get a warranty (Apple care would still be a good investment).

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Actually it is one of 3 buttons. f9, f10 and f11 all offer expose features. Show all windows, show all windows in a certain application, show desktop and hide all windows.
You can also set it up as a hot corner. I have show all windows in the upper left corner, and show desktop in the lower right corner. That way I don't have to take my finger off the trackpad.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I think I need to convert (pc - mac) because all I do is photos, videos (when i have a faster computer, i will), some web building, and internet. I do schoolwork too...

I think I need a Macbook pro 15" with 1-2gbs. I would like to eventually get a desktop monitor for home use.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
My gf is getting one this weekend. Like any computer, ram is key. Get all you can afford. I really like the new screens.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
blah. it's a laptop. the screen doesn't matter in this case. the smoothness of the fonts is crazy nice for normal viewing.

if you were doing photo stuff, well that's your problem (using a laptop when it's critical).

Apple ditched the glossy screens because of them not being the best for photos years ago. They've since brought it back - much better.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
After so many years on matte screens it does take some getting used to, but it's far and away brighter and easier to use than the PowerBook matte screens let alone more vibrant and sharp appearing. Glare or no glare, most matte screens on laptops have a lot of trouble being used with direct light on them either from the sun or other sources. The glossy screen may mirror bounce light, but at least you can still see what's on the screen and you can always adjust the tilt. I'm sure side viewing is compromised slightly, but hey, it's a laptop.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Wouldn't it be better to have a more neutral monitor than one that makes things look sharp and vibrant for editing photos?
yes, an external, desktop monitor that is calibrated. if it's critical, you shouldn't be using a laptop screen. . also, if you want to get into it, a monitor is a transmissive source while paper (a print) is reflective - it'll never be exact exact exact and your eyes can't compensate for it. This is not to mention paper colors. you know how many whites there are? infinite. And, most people do not use calibration devices on their laptops to begin with. For someone using a laptop to edit photos, the glossy screen is a moot point.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Are there other advantages/disatvantages of gloss vs. not other than the photo debate? I think I have to head to an Apple store to check out everything in person.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Are there other advantages/disatvantages of gloss vs. not other than the photo debate? I think I have to head to an Apple store to check out everything in person.
The glossy screen provides a little more contrast, but in bright light they become difficult to read.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The glossy screen provides a little more contrast, but in bright light they become difficult to read.
Sounds like I may just go for the matte because I've used it before and it didn't bother me, but again I want to side-by-side compare the two.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
No. The Dell I had before was a bit bigger, but the clarity on this thing is much nicer. I do have issues running multiple programs at once, I should mention. Usually Safari + microsoft office slows this thing down alot, but other things run just fine like itunes.
If Im playing with photoshop i do much better to run only that.
You'll probably find that anything and Microsoft Office will run slowly. The Mac version of office is horrrrible, but there are suitable alternatives in most places, or you can just cope with it running a little slowly until Microsoft decides to put a little effort into its Mac software.

goofy

Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
olney md.
The new Macbooks only come with a glossy screen if you want the matte screen you have to go with the pro(which btw has alot better video card in it).

I thought that Microsoft was no longer supporting mac(i could be wrong on this)

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
The new Macbooks only come with a glossy screen if you want the matte screen you have to go with the pro(which btw has alot better video card in it).

I thought that Microsoft was no longer supporting mac(i could be wrong on this)
They no longer produce/support Internet Explorer for Mac, but they still spew out Office.

It's a shame, I've seen screenshots for Office 2008 (I think that's what they're calling it) for Vista, and it looks great. Lots of improvements in the interfaces, and some useful new features...then I saw screenshots of the Mac version, which is developed by a completely different department at Microsoft and it's pure crap.

Almost feels like sabotage to be honest.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
My gf was trying out Office (Word) on the macbook. It did run slow, even the typing... Hopefully MS will one day get it together.