Quantcast

Apple monitor on ebay advice...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
hey everyone i have been wanting a apple cinema monitor forever... just stumbled upon this on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Cinema-23-HD-Display-Brand-new-in-Box-for-g4-g5_W0QQitemZ5810849303QQcategoryZ14909QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

what are your feelings on it, seems like a to good to be true type of thing. The feedback for the member looks good but then it says
-"not a registered user"
-email me before bidding
-money orders/cashiers checks only :think:

sounds a bit sketch, if it wasnt for the awesome feedback i would run?

opinions?

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
good feedback isnt everything. Stay away from this auction.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Anytime someone requests that you do something like email them before bidding, I think it's sketchy. And I pretty much don't pay with anything except Paypal or a credit card so I have some recourse if the deal goes bad.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
syadasti said:
Might want to consider a better LCD if the pricing is similar. As usual, with Apple its more hype than actual product...
Uhh...? The Apple Cinema displays use the exact same LCD panel as the Dell models. I'm not a big fan of Toms Hardware myself, they seem to get an awful lot of stuff wrong.

Regardless, though, AnandTech disassembled both monitors and found they use the same LCD panel, thus being approximately the same quality. And everyone except Tom's Hardware seems to really like the Apple Cinema displays.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
syadasti said:
Might want to consider a better LCD if the pricing is similar. As usual, with Apple its more hype than actual product...
oh god here we go, cinema's have been the industry standard for graphic design and editing usages for years...I want the cinema...the only reason i wouldnt get one is the $$$. Just got out of college..

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Ridemonkey said:
Not so. I'll take my 23" over any other monitor...except maybe the new 30".

hey RM, i really like those older acrylic models from apple how old is that? and is it still charging hard, thought about picking one of those up instead of the new brushed aluminum one...thoughts?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
manhattanprjkt83 said:
oh god here we go, cinema's have been the industry standard for graphic design and editing usages for years...I want the cinema...the only reason i wouldnt get one is the $$$. Just got out of college..
No, CRTs are used by imaging professionals. They've been starting to switch to LCDs due to CRT being phased out but they aren't as good. The new Cinemas aren't as good and there are better LCDs. Spincrazy agrees with Tomshardware results - the Eizo is way better - he does this for a living. MtnBikerNJ owns touchstudionyc.com and doesn't use his Cinema for editing either.

You already know this cause you asked about it:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122116

BV:

The Dell uses the same panel in the widescreen 2005FPW vs the 20" Cinema but the signal just doesn't go straight to the panel, there is a different PCB with various items on it that varies between the two LCDs which effects the output quality. None of the other LCD panels are shared on the Dells vs. the Apple Cinema series.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I know i asked a while ago, never pulled the trigger just saw this and thought it looked like something i wanted to investigate, i started the thread about the action not to start a debate about which monitor is better.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
How can you have an auction if you're not registered? I tried to talk myself into it too, (maybe they "fell off a truck" somewhere) but It's gotta be a scam...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
******upppppppppppppppppdate****** what a clown

emailed him and got this...

First I want to tell you that my monitors are brand new, unopened box all listed accessories included and also an international warranty. The invoice will come at the same time with the package.
My buy it now price is the best you could get: 500usd/unit, including the shipping and insurance taxes. We will pay them because the package will be delivered from Europe. As delivery service we use UPS2daysair service (with insurance and 15 days return policy), because it's the faster. And if you will have a quick payment, we must also have a quick delivery. So that's why we use as a payment method Western Union money transfer, the fastest and also very secure way of sending money. So, if you agree with my terms I'm sure that we can close the deal as soon as possible.
Waiting your quick answer right now

should i buy it :think: :rolleyes: :nuts:

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
manhattanprjkt83 said:
hey RM, i really like those older acrylic models from apple how old is that? and is it still charging hard, thought about picking one of those up instead of the new brushed aluminum one...thoughts?
Mine's about a year old. I bought it just before the new ones came out. Personally, if I was going to get another, I'd buy a used acryllic one. The brushed aluminums are nice, but we're talking about saving literally thousands of dollars.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Ridemonkey said:
Personally, if I was going to get another, I'd buy a used acryllic one. The brushed aluminums are nice, but we're talking about saving literally thousands of dollars.

really! From everything i have seen on ebay, the acryllic ones have held their value very well, with the 23" s going for around 700+ after shipping. I mean there are exceptions, but they seem to be very popular.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
manhattanprjkt83 said:
really! From everything i have seen on ebay, the acryllic ones have held their value very well, with the 23" s going for around 700+ after shipping. I mean there are exceptions, but they seem to be very popular.
Yeah, but they were $2999 CAD or something new. $700USD is only $820ish Canadian, so that's quite a savings.