Quantcast

apple season!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
finally the good apples are in season. :) Mmmmm.....crunchy goodness. I just had a McIntosh. There are baskets of them set up in various spots throughout the building and we can help ourselves.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It is a good time of year for food in general. I've been enjoying the peaches lately, decided I am going to try and grow a few peach trees in the yard. Had a bunch of fruit bearing trees in the yard when growing up. It was great to be able to go outside and grab a peach or apple off the tree. Throwing rotten fruit at my brother was also great fun.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
I Are Baboon said:
finally the good apples are in season. :) Mmmmm.....crunchy goodness. I just had a McIntosh. There are baskets of them set up in various spots throughout the building and we can help ourselves.
Went picking this weekend.
I'm fond of empires & winesaps myself, but that's just me.
This coming weekend we're baking up a caramel apple tart flavored with calvados & cardamom.
MMmmmmm.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
apple season.... just means work for me. I've been picking for the last week, and am waiting for last nights rain to evaporate so i can go out and pick today. Were picking granny smiths and will probably move on to fuji's next week. i think i'm gonna go for 5 bins today :dead:

my favorite apple is a cameo though.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
boostindoubles said:
apple season.... just means work for me. I've been picking for the last week, and am waiting for last nights rain to evaporate so i can go out and pick today. Were picking granny smiths and will probably move on to fuji's next week. i think i'm gonna go for 5 bins today :dead:

my favorite apple is a cameo though.
Yeah, picking apples is hard work.
Been eating nashi recently. Bloody beautiful. Yum yum.

Skeg

Chimp
Sep 22, 2005
My wife wants to go apple picking this weekend...
What type of apples make the best pies???
Anyone got a good apple pie recipe???
I really like it when the apples are all soft and yummy....
great, now i'm getting hungry, Any help is appreciated as this will be my first apple pie attempt.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
Apple Cider Donuts

I *LOVE* apple cider donuts.

It's too bad that there doesn't seem to be an orchard around the DC area that has any idea what a respectable apple cider donut is supposed to be like....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
MudGrrl said:
Apple Cider Donuts

I *LOVE* apple cider donuts.

It's too bad that there doesn't seem to be an orchard around the DC area that has any idea what a respectable apple cider donut is supposed to be like....
DEE I TEE TEE OHHH

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I played football back in high school. Every friday practice for the first 6 weeks or so, our coach would bring in a huge box of freshly picked Macs every friday. That was the best... I still love Macs - probably because of the nostalgia.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
jacksonpt said:
I played football back in high school. Every friday practice for the first 6 weeks or so, our coach would bring in a huge box of freshly picked Macs every friday. That was the best... I still love Macs - probably because of the nostalgia.
Naw - macs are one of the best pure eating apples around. :thumb:

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
Last year, a friend of mine and I were reminiscing about going apple picking with our families (his in Michigan, mine in NY)... so we decided to find a local orchard and go pick apples and eat cider donuts.

sounds like fun, no?

He asks his gf to go. She comes along. Doesn't see the charm. Gets mad because we dragged her out to the border of West Virginia to go wander around an orchard.

And ... the apple cider donuts were *not* what apple cider donuts should be.

So this year, we are going picking by ourselves.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
MudGrrl said:
Last year, a friend of mine and I were reminiscing about going apple picking with our families (his in Michigan, mine in NY)... so we decided to find a local orchard and go pick apples and eat cider donuts.<snip>

And ... the apple cider donuts were *not* what apple cider donuts should be.

So this year, we are going picking by ourselves.
Road trip to Michigan! :thumb:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
ok, i live on an apple orchard, and have my entire life. We make our own cider at the end of the season, and have a ton of varieties of apples. yet i have no idea what is meant by apple cider donuts? der? like donuts you eat with your cider?

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
MudGrrl said:
especially if they're still warm in their little wax bag
I can't get out of the parking lot without eating 2 if they are still warm
Last year when I was still living near Albany, NY there was a place in Ballston Lake that always had fresh, warm cider donuts this time of year. Another good one in Milton next to the Northway. I haven't seen cider donuts in Massachusetts, yet.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
mmm appplessss....dammit now i am hungry...and homade cider is friggin so good!!! dammit!!! ok Will your gonna have to save some cider for me and zoae and next time we see you i will throw a couple bucks at you!!

aaaahhhhhh i am all thirsty now toooo..!!!

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
hey pete, if you want i can bring a grab bag of apples over to you and zoae tomorrow. I'll be coming into town anyways, and i just have to go out and pick some for ya tonight. what you want? braburns? granny smith? fuji? cameo? gala's? scarllets? goldens?

hit me up and we can make this happen!

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
MudGrrl said:
is Michigan considered east coast?
well, not east coast, but definitly east side. and i lump basically illinois and everything east into 'the east coast' :think: Its not so much a geographical statement as it is my opinion of a way of living.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
We have a huge apple tree at the main FR trailhead. I usually eat a few after a ride. It seems like a lot of people just pass the tree on by. I really dont see why. Its not pruned or sprayed so you have to search for a good apple but I always find a few.