Quantcast

Apple switches to Intel

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Apple's press release said:
WWDC 2005, SAN FRANCISCO—June 6, 2005—At its Worldwide Developer Conference today, Apple® announced plans to deliver models of its Macintosh® computers using Intel® microprocessors by this time next year, and to transition all of its Macs to using Intel microprocessors by the end of 2007. Apple previewed a version of its critically acclaimed operating system, Mac OS® X Tiger, running on an Intel-based Mac® to the over 3,800 developers attending CEO Steve Jobs’ keynote address.
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/jun/06intel.html

i never thought i'd see the day. :dead:

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
I don't know if its a bad thing. the OS isn't changing. It also doesn't necessarily mean that apple is changing the box - as much as I like the look of the apple designed hardware, its all about performance and price. Maybe apple will still be releasing hardware, but can do it at a lower price... only time will tell!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Ok, you geeks, explain to me the problem with PowerPC processor and how Pentium will solve all problems....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My brother was on the developement team for the original power PC processor. At least back in the day he claimed it had huge advantages over intel processors. Has the playing field been levelled?

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
MtnBikerNJ said:
I don't know if its a bad thing. the OS isn't changing. It also doesn't necessarily mean that apple is changing the box - as much as I like the look of the apple designed hardware, its all about performance and price. Maybe apple will still be releasing hardware, but can do it at a lower price... only time will tell!

I think its the laptop issue that forced the change. They just can't put the hot G5 processor in a 1/2 thick case.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Ridemonkey said:
I think its the laptop issue that forced the change. They just can't put the hot G5 processor in a 1/2 thick case.
yeah, steve jobs admitted that apple hasn't been able to put the G5 in the powerbook (which is long overdue!) since it's too thirsty for power. i guess this is a good thing, especially since SJ also revealed that all versions of OS X have been secretly developed for Intel in parallel for the last five years. sneaky, sneaky, and may just be the kick in the pants to really boost up apple's marketshare.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Westy said:
My brother was on the developement team for the original power PC processor. At least back in the day he claimed it had huge advantages over intel processors. Has the playing field been levelled?
yeah, back in the day of the powerpc 601, 604, 604e motorola did have the upper hand. current G5s are pretty slick, too, about as fast as the fastest intel/amd offerings, but the G5 doesn't work in laptops: too power hungry and too hot. this is unacceptable.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
sanjuro said:
Ok, you geeks, explain to me the problem with PowerPC processor and how Pentium will solve all problems....
Huh?

I don't see the problem with this switch. All it means is that more money will be dumped into Intel instead of having an entirely seperate chip to support a relatively small market share. That could bring down chip prices for everyone (hey, we can dream, right?), but at the very least, will make it cheaper for Apple to produce a computer. Not to mention, more money for Intel means a bigger R&D budget.

I'm not a big fan of Apple computers, but competition is always good, and if Apple can lower their operating costs and the price of their computers, that makes them more competitive.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
What about software? If someone currently has a Mac and they want to upgrage to a new machine after the new chips are out, will they need to buy all new software?

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
A lot of designer dudes are in an uproar about this but I dont really see a problem. So what if the chip changes. OSX is the stable thing about Mac, not the hardware. Take the OS, put it on cheaper hardware that has similar performance and you have one helluva stable machine with a low price tag.

Besides... I have a G5 and about 1/2 of the box is devoted to moving air for cooling that fireball of a chip.

What i'd like to know is how does a dual processor machine with intel's hottest chip compare with a machine running dual G5's. And I dont give a crap about marketing numbers I want to hear data crunching numbers. Intel has come a long way, I bet the numbers are comparable.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
pixelninja said:
What about software? If someone currently has a Mac and they want to upgrage to a new machine after the new chips are out, will they need to buy all new software?
Damn fine question right there.
I dont feel like buying $3-4k worth of new software.
My office has a budget for a new machine next year (was going to be a 2nd G5), but software isnt in that budget.

Peastout

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
golgiaparatus said:
A lot of designer dudes are in an uproar about this but I dont really see a problem. So what if the chip changes. OSX is the stable thing about Mac, not the hardware. Take the OS, put it on cheaper hardware that has similar performance and you have one helluva stable machine with a low price tag.

Besides... I have a G5 and about 1/2 of the box is devoted to moving air for cooling that fireball of a chip.

What i'd like to know is how does a dual processor machine with intel's hottest chip compare with a machine running dual G5's. And I dont give a crap about marketing numbers I want to hear data crunching numbers. Intel has come a long way, I bet the numbers are comparable.
I disagree. A low level approach means there will be a totally different processor instruction set from PowerPC to Pentium. The o/s programmers and designers will endeavor to change the low level code to work with the new instruction set, which should hopefully include all the performance tweaks to make this a fast running o/s.

From a high level perspective, if the processor instruction set change-over is successful, then there is no difference. However, if there are any burps in the o/s changes, then there could be a long delay in issuing pentium chips.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
So, does anyone have any more information about this? Like, will they be running stock Intel Pentium/Celeron chips or will there be some amount of customization for Apple instruction sets?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
It doesn't say anything about using Pentium processors. It says they are going to use Intel. I'd bet Intel is going to make a processor for the Mac. It will cost less and work better, and it won't be a Pentium. Intel makes lots of microprocessors besides the Pentium and Celeron.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Echo said:
It doesn't say anything about using Pentium processors. It says they are going to use Intel.
Right, that's what I'm wondering. Apple is a pretty large customer and I'm sure it'd be worth Intel's while if Apple wanted a new chip.

It will cost less and work better, and it won't be a Pentium.
Ahh... Right. :rolleyes:

'cause, you know, they have the capabilities to make a cheaper, better chip right this minute, but it's not like something cheaper and better would actually sell well, so they just aren't bothering.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
binary visions said:
Ahh... Right. :rolleyes:

'cause, you know, they have the capabilities to make a cheaper, better chip right this minute, but it's not like something cheaper and better would actually sell well, so they just aren't bothering.
That's why AMD is in business ;)

And demand sets the price, not Intel per se.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Echo said:
It doesn't say anything about using Pentium processors. It says they are going to use Intel. I'd bet Intel is going to make a processor for the Mac. It will cost less and work better, and it won't be a Pentium. Intel makes lots of microprocessors besides the Pentium and Celeron.
They do?

Desktop

Intel® Pentium® Processor Extreme Edition
Intel® Pentium® D Processor
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor Extreme Edition supporting Hyper-Threading Technology†
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor supporting Hyper-Threading Technology†
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor
Intel® Celeron® D Processor
Intel® Celeron® Processor

Notebook

Intel® Pentium® M Processor
Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor supporting Hyper-Threading Technology†
Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor
Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor-M
Intel® Celeron® M Processor
Mobile Intel® Celeron® Processor

Server

Intel® Itanium® 2 Processor
Intel® Xeon™ Processor
Intel® Xeon™ Processor MP

I should also point out the Xeon is a Pentium design but the Itanium is different processor but capable of running the Pentium instruction set.

Or maybe Intel will create a whole new chip design for production, in what, a half year? It could be a 4th year ECE student project...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Echo said:
That's why AMD is in business ;)
Well, that's a whole other argument... AMD is not cut-and-dry better than Intel, each system has its merits.

And demand sets the price, not Intel per se.
Sort of. Cost of manufacturing certainly has a big impact, though. If you go with the demand aspect, though, how do you expect a smaller market share, especially one that has historically paid much higher prices, to cause Intel to manufacture something cheaper and better than a Pentium?

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
binary visions said:
Sort of. Cost of manufacturing certainly has a big impact, though. If you go with the demand aspect, though, how do you expect a smaller market share, especially one that has historically paid much higher prices, to cause Intel to manufacture something cheaper and better than a Pentium?

Good point, perhaps the historic willingness of apple's customers to pay a higher price will allow designers greater freedom to make a better product? In actuality, it probably will not wind up being much different, I suspect part of the reason for the move is to bring down apples prices to a level that is acceptable to a wider audience.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Damn True said:
Good point, perhaps the historic willingness of apple's customers to pay a higher price will allow designers greater freedom to make a better product?
From a consumer perspective, that would be fantastic - since better products, even if they are initially more expensive, eventually trickle down into the cheaper models.

My guess is that you're right, though, they'll end up with something comparable to existing offerings (if not exactly the same - this still is a big question mark) at a comparable price.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Alright, ya' bastids, I fixed it and freely admit that I deserve being called out for all of my bitching about spelling and grammar in the past.

Now let's go back to the topic at hand - which is much more interesting than my occasional spelling mistakes :p

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
sanjuro said:
I disagree. A low level approach means there will be a totally different processor instruction set from PowerPC to Pentium. The o/s programmers and designers will endeavor to change the low level code to work with the new instruction set, which should hopefully include all the performance tweaks to make this a fast running o/s.

From a high level perspective, if the processor instruction set change-over is successful, then there is no difference. However, if there are any burps in the o/s changes, then there could be a long delay in issuing pentium chips.
Thats why when 2007 rolls around... which is about how long this should take to have the bugs worked out. I'll still be running the same G5 that I'm posting from. However, I'm sure the next Mac I buy will have an intel chip in it.

The people that will be screwed in this transition are techno geeks that MUST have the latest and greatest as soon as it comes out.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
SkaredShtles said:
Maybe your custom title should become "The voice of comperability"....... :D
Ahh, poor S.S.

I hope, one day, someone finds you funny. In the meantime, I hope you keep cracking yourself up!

:D

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
golgiaparatus said:
http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2436 is kind of a flaky test but it shows that they're in the same ballpark, with opterons leading the pack.

and no, you won't have to buy new software: there's something called rosetta that will translate between the instruction sets. most software won't require much more than a recompile to run natively.

i don't think intel will be making a new line of chips for apple. i bet they will use standard xeons or itaniums or whatever's current. the whole point is to get on the same page (and stay there!) as the pc makers. besides, ibm is a powerhouse in its own right (Cell processor for PS3, processor for XBox 360, POWER processors used in many top 500 supercomputers) so i don't see any inherent reason why Intel could do the PowerPC design any better than IBM is doing.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Echo said:

Looks like they make a lot more than Pentium Processors.
Yes they do. Do you think a motherboard will fit into a processor slot? Or a handset? Maybe software will fit into a processor slot?

Or possibly a Pentium processor will fit into a processor slot?

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
sanjuro said:
Yes they do. Do you think a motherboard will fit into a processor slot? Or a handset? Maybe software will fit into a processor slot?

Or possibly a Pentium processor will fit into a processor slot?
Echo has a point: intel owns ARM, no? my theory _was_ that this brouhaha was about apple using a StrongARM chip in a video ipod, but this really looks like apple will be using pentium type chips in standard desktops/laptops.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
more on Rosetta, from SJ's keynote:

Steve Jobs said:
Rosetta keeps old apps running

Jobs also discussed a new technology called Rosetta, that he described as "a dynamic binary translator." It runs existing PowerPC applications on the Intel platform, he said. Jobs described Rosetta as "lightweight," and said "it's nothing like Classic."

Jobs demonstrated Rosetta by running Microsoft Office applications, Quicken and Photoshop CS 2 -- all unmodified PowerPC-binary versions, unlike Mathematica -- on the new Intel-based hardware.

"So that is Rosetta, Jobs concluded. "These PowerPC apps just run. And that's what we're going to have for our users, because every app isn't going to be there for our users on day one."

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Toshi said:
Echo has a point: intel owns ARM, no? my theory _was_ that this brouhaha was about apple using a StrongARM chip in a video ipod, but this really looks like apple will be using pentium type chips in standard desktops/laptops.
According ARM's website: creates high-performance RISC CPU cores and microprocessors for low-power applications, like Ipods not computers.

My whole point about processor changes, is from a high level view of computers, it is a simple thing because a high level view has no idea about instruction sets, processor design and testing, and low level o/s programming.

It is like saying, "Oh my car needs a new transmission. Since I don't even know how to change my oil, how hard could it be to put in a new transmission?"

Not that I am some type of o/s programmer or processor engineer. I am a computer administator so I know well about processor failures and release delays.