Quantcast

Apple the new world leader in software insecurity

skunkty14

Monkey
May 29, 2007
If you read the article the old man linked to the flaws aren't in the OS, they're in the periphery software albeit Apple branded products.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
If you read the article the old man linked to the flaws aren't in the OS, they're in the periphery software albeit Apple branded products.
Moot point.

There have been hundreds of vulnerabilities in OSX installations - its the software comes with a default installation so its a OS problem regardless (just like IE is default in Windows installs). Just take a look at the security updates updates on Apple's site - you can find them for all the way back the first release:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1222

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Well, Apple users are pretty quick to shrug it off when it's pointed out that most of the instabilities in Windows are primarily due to the vastly greater availability of crappy third party software or drivers and not at all to do with the OS.

It can't be both ways. Either the system as a whole is faulty - and thus Macs are valid as #1 on this list... or the OS should be considered on its own merits - and thus the complaining about viruses/instability in Windows should stop, since the OS is actually very secure and stable.

:thumb:

What? Secunia is a great resource. Their free vulnerability scanning app works great - been using it for years - http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/

All OS have flaws and it only takes one weak link. Nothing unique about Apple among the various vendors. Only naive end users would think otherwise.
Interesting - I got a .99, still had a couple of apps that wanted patching. Thanks.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
From the article:
Though this does not necessarily mean that Apple's software is the most insecure in practice—the report takes no consideration of the severity of the flaws
That could be like winning a weiner eating contest by gobbling up Vienna Sausages while your competition chokes down Dodger Dogs.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
This week I found out my dad has both an iPad and iPhone - he thinks they're great and has been a computer programmer since the 60s, albeit now retired. The only thing I know about Apple is the over-priced smug factor.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
This week I found out my dad has both an iPad and iPhone - he thinks they're great and has been a computer programmer since the 60s, albeit now retired. The only thing I know about Apple is the over-priced smug factor.
They're totally better too! You're just jealous so there....