Quantcast

Apple's Boot Camp

imageWIS

Chimp
Mar 19, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
manhattanprjkt83 said:
OMG are you a moron...:dead:
No. Moronic is people who simply won’t admit that the constant use of two corporate names, one formal, one informal causes Apple/Mac/Mapple/Whatever’s ships to sail in different directions. But, hey, as long as you like to goosestep…:banghead:

Jon.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
imageWIS said:
Exactly my point. And if Windows is so unstable, why have it reeking havoc on your ‘premium’ Mac components? If Mac really wanted to expand onto the market they should have also released a version of OS X for PC’s. And no, renaming in OS X is not as clear-cut as it is in Windows.

Jon.
Sorry, where have you heard anything is "wreaking havoc" on anything? People buy macs because they work better. Period. Mac makes no money on OSX, they make money on hardware, smart guy.

Oh I see, I rename things the same way in both OS', but that's not as clear cut.

Seriously, you need to know what you are talking about before you flap your gums. Every post makes you seem more and more retarded.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
http://macs.about.com/od/osx/a/rename_files.htm

Renaming Files Quickly in OS X

You can rename a file in the Finder by clicking on the name of the file, waiting for a moment until the edit mode is activated, and typing its new name.

Wow, I was so lost tring to rename a file.

Also, OS X knows a .doc file even when it's named .sh!t based on the file itself. Rename a Windows file from .doc to .sh!t and see what happens.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Transcend said:
Sorry, where have you heard anything is "wreaking havoc" on anything? People buy macs because they work better. Period. Mac makes no money on OSX, they make money on hardware, smart guy.
I thought they charged $$ for OS upgrades? They givin' 'em away free now?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
SkaredShtles said:
I thought they charged $$ for OS upgrades? They givin' 'em away free now?
I believe you can buy a complete copy of the OS for under $100 most places (sugested retail). The suggested retail of windows xp pro is what, $400?

Point being that MS makes it's money off of windows, not hardware sales (obviously). Apple has a different business model entirely. Want to use our system? Great, get our hardware. Added bonus being that you KNOW your hardware will work with your os. I can't say that much for windows and the piles of hardware it no longer supports or has drivers for.

Upgrades are free within the os (Ie: Tiger). We had the 6th one come out 2 days ago, actually.

imageWIS

Chimp
Mar 19, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
Transcend said:

Oh I see, I rename things the same way in both OS', but that's not as clear cut.

Seriously, you need to know what you are talking about before you flap your gums. Every post makes you seem more and more retarded.
I needed to rename some files in OS X and it was not as simple as you make it seem…whereas it’s easier in Windows, what’s not clear-cut about that?

And MAC does make money with OS X, unless they aren’t charging anyone (consumers, companies, etc…) for any aspect of their software / or its use.

Jon.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
imageWIS said:
I needed to rename some files in OS X and it was not as simple as you make it seem…whereas it’s easier in Windows, what’s not clear-cut about that?

And MAC does make money with OS X, unless they aren’t charging anyone (consumers, companies, etc…) for any aspect of their software / or its use.

Jon.
Seriously, what the hell are you talking out? 2 of us have now pointed out that it's THE EXACT SAME PROCESS. :rolleyes:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
SkaredShtles said:
So you have to pay when a new major release comes out? I'm trying to relate this to how it jives with my *nix experience.
When a major release comes out (tiger, panther etc), you pay for it. No idea what pricing is however, I get mine free from the developer network. I think it is between $69-$99?

The updates usually add funtionality and features, but are based on the same BASIC groundwork. IE: Still OS X, but a new version of OS X that does more stuff.

Bug fix and minor updates and the like are all free through the software update thing.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
SkaredShtles said:
So you have to pay when a new major release comes out? I'm trying to relate this to how it jives with my *nix experience.
With most Linux distros, you purchase a subscription, so you get upgrades and whatnot for free for the term of the subscription. Unless you buy it off the shelf, I have never bought software off the shelf, so I can't answer that.

But the cost os OS X compared to other OS's is good. $100 for as solid as it is? That's cheap. Redhat is $180 for a basic package, $300 for the standard edition of RHEL4 workstation.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
jimmydean said:
With most Linux distros, you purchase a subscription, so you get upgrades and whatnot for free for the term of the subscription. Unless you buy it off the shelf, I have never bought software off the shelf, so I can't answer that.

But the cost os OS X compared to other OS's is good. $100 for as solid as it is? That's cheap. Redhat is $180 for a basic package, $300 for the standard edition of RHEL4 workstation.
Dude. Linux is free. :p

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
kinghami3 said:
Yeah Stinky, I know about that, but I was making a point about calling Apple Mac. You getting a new Kona had nothing to do with my train of thought.
I didn't have the energy to read the thread...

:rolleyes:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
stinkyboy said:
I didn't have the energy to read the thread...

:rolleyes:
You should just tack this on to EVERY post you make, or just add it to your sig. It would clear a lot of things up for those of us who pay attention.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
jimmydean said:
You should just tack this on to EVERY post you make, or just add it to your sig. It would clear a lot of things up for those of us who pay attention.
Dude, this thread is like a million others. "You should use what I use because it's the best and your facts are wrong!" back and forth BS. It's not fun, and if a MTB site is where you get your computer knowledge from, you've got larger problems...

The Oregon boys need a little debunching huh?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
imageWIS said:

With Windows, you click on a file name, and pause for a second. That drops you into Edit mode.

With OS-X you click on a file name, and pause for a second. That drops you into Edit mode.

What's not clear-cut about that?

Look, you may have personal disagreements with how OS-X handles itself - though that's as much your lack of experience with OS-X as anything, since any regular Mac user knows how to rename files - but you've made no solid arguments whatsoever to back up your claims. Read through the thread again. All your points have been addressed and re-addressed and you've provided no further compelling arguments.

There's this crazy thing called a "learning curve" and it exists with everything. You don't find the OS-X way of renaming things to be intuitive because you're used to your right mouse button. A Mac user would not be used to it, and would find it very intuitive.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
there are actually at least two other ways to rename files under os x:

1) (click the name, etc.)
2) with the file selected hit enter or return
3) mv oldfilename newfilename

another point is that mac mini's don't come with a mouse, and that two button mice will work out of the box with os x. just plug it in. if you want extra snazzy control then usb overdrive will let you configure everything -- i use it with a microsoft intellimouse optical (5 buttons <gasps from the crowd>) and have various buttons mapped to actions in different apps.

imageWIS said:
No. Moronic is people who simply won&#8217;t admit that the constant use of two corporate names, one formal, one informal causes Apple/Mac/Mapple/Whatever&#8217;s ships to sail in different directions
no, moronic is the user who still clings to entirely WRONG usage of words after being repeatedly corrected. there is no confusion except within your own head.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
stinkyboy said:
Dude, this thread is like a million others. "You should use what I use because it's the best and your facts are wrong!" back and forth BS. It's not fun, and if a MTB site is where you get your computer knowledge from, you've got larger problems...

The Oregon boys need a little debunching huh?
And your post was like a million others you have posted where you felt the need to post something without even paying attention to what you were posting about or the context of the thread it was being posted in.

And yes, I get ALL my computer information from the lounge at RM. If it wasn't for this forum, I would have never gotten my BSCS degree.

So please stop posting without first reading the thread, I am working on my Masters now and your not helping. Thanks.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
jimmydean said:
And your post was like a million others you have posted where you felt the need to post something without even paying attention to what you were posting about or the context of the thread it was being posted in.

And yes, I get ALL my computer information from the lounge at RM. If it wasn't for this forum, I would have never gotten my BSCS degree.

So please stop posting without first reading the thread, I am working on my Masters now and your not helping. Thanks.
I like golf too, maybe this thread will help you: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149925

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Sounds great to me. I cant see myself goint anywhere but MacOS for normal operating and design apps just because of stability and the superior interface. However, I can see the usefulness of being able to boot Windows on my machine.

I still wont have an intel machine for a while. My G5 Still has a few years in it, plus I'm still running all MacOS software.