Quantcast

Apple's (Doomed) Tablet - Old man yells at icloud

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It will all be in the TVs in time and these add on devices will be dead. You can already push content to TVs with DLNA. Google TV did the same thing that chromecast does for the most part (I've heard the sw is really based more on google tv than android).

Remember when you used to travel? You had an MP3 player, a camera, a GPS, a phone and a computer. Now it all fits in your pocket.

Everything will run through the smart TV because consumers have a hard time with boxes. They want one remote. The only thing stopping this is media companies and device companies all fighting over a proprietary interface because they want control.
fixed. gtv is largely dead. and yes ccast is based more on gtv than android.

until smart tv's come down more in price chromecast is arguably a better value. or will be once amazon prime and hbo go are supported.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If you have an AppleTV and an mac you don't need iTunes unless you want to play content from the iTunes store. There are also third party solutions for Airplay for PCs. Of course there is also the industry standard of DLNA and now Miracast.
Interesting, I actually didn't know that you could push Airplay without iTunes running on the network. I have iTunes running in order to use home sharing, and didn't try out Airplay until I had home sharing set up... so I just assumed that was how device discovery was done.

Appreciate the tip :thumb:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Nexus 7 2013 has Miracast baked-in:

https://support.google.com/nexus/7/answer/2865484?hl=en

Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013), and Nexus 10 are compatible with devices that support the Wi-Fi Certified Miracast™ protocol for wireless display. You can mirror the screen and wirelessly stream video and audio to a variety of displays and other devices that support Miracast, even when a standard Wi-Fi network isn’t available. For example, you can use wireless display to show your device’s screen on a TV equipped with a certified Miracast adapter.

For more information, see the documentation that comes with the Miracast-certified device you wish to use with your tablet or phone.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I don't think smart TVs are going to be here to stay until they can settle on a good, universal OS with an app marketplace and regular upgrades. Even then, I'm betting there will still be a thriving market for set top boxes. Upgrading a TV requires the replacement of an expensive component (namely, the display) that does not go obsolete as quickly. Unless there will be swappable hardware components, the ability to upgrade the smart back end without changing your display is going to win a lot of users.

All-in-one PCs suffer from this problem and have never really taken off.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
All-in-one Mac are doing fine and all-in-on PC called laptops are doing great too.

Samsung has made it possible to upgrade their smart TVs. I have one and I think most of the smart TV functionality sucks from design of the user interface, apps, navigation, etc.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Desktop OS devices (laptops, all-in-ones, desktops, etc) aren't actually doing that well. They've been in decline for years now.

I hate smart TV platforms plus content providers have more limited functionality or blocked content for lower tier devices like smart TVs, streamers, consoles, etc. HTPC have always been ideal for me.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
He was not referring to the general market trend of declining sales you are referring to but the general interest over time from the public to buy all in one.

Anyway the declining sales you are referring to is due to smart phones and tables which all are even more difficult to upgrade than laptops etc. If smart tvs were as easy and fun to use as tablets I am sure they would be a lot more popular.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
For the average user, there little need to upgrade the hardware or even the OS as long as the app selection is good - especially considering people don't keep phones and tablets as long as they do desktop OS devices. Many people aren't on the latest version of android but it doesn't really matter for most people other than marketers or the tech-centric/early adopters.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
smart tv's arent going anywhere anytime soon. youll see less emphasis on 3D then you will smart tv's and a bigger push for ultra hi-res screens (4K) soon.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
They aren't the focus, but these days mostly only the low-end models are free of smart tv functionality.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
its easy to boost quarterly profits when you are constantly releasing new products. the fact that iSales still are somewhat close, with no new model since the end of last year, says a lot.

edit: and when did bgr get off of apple's collective d!ck and swarm on android's?

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
its easy to boost quarterly profits when you are constantly releasing new products. the fact that iSales still are somewhat close, with no new model since the end of last year, says a lot.
what's more telling is the trends; samsung is trending up. apple's quarterly profits are decreasing.

edit: and when did bgr get off of apple's collective d!ck and swarm on samsungs?
fixed, and yes, i have the same question. maybe they stopped getting checks from steve jobs.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
The funniest thing about that chart is how BAD Samsung and Apple is kicking everyone else's ass. Total slaughter.

As for me, I am rocking 100% satisfaction with my Samsung phone. I will give them credit for the hardware in that I have not one issue in over two years on my S2, but truth be told, the reason I even still have this phone is because of the awesomeness of XDA. The dev support for my phone is through the rough over there with a bunch of awesome linaro built roms. My old ass phone is faster and smoother than my wife's stock Galaxy S4. My next phone will either be another Samsung or a Nexus.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The funniest thing about that chart is how BAD Samsung and Apple is kicking everyone else's ass. Total slaughter.

As for me, I am rocking 100% satisfaction with my Samsung phone. I will give them credit for the hardware in that I have not one issue in over two years on my S2, but truth be told, the reason I even still have this phone is because of the awesomeness of XDA. The dev support for my phone is through the rough over there with a bunch of awesome linaro built roms. My old ass phone is faster and smoother than my wife's stock Galaxy S4. My next phone will either be another Samsung or a Nexus.
go with a nexus. my current phone is the galaxy nexus. never looking back. companies are going to have to make drastic improvements with their skins to make me change my mind in the future.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
go with a nexus. my current phone is the galaxy nexus. never looking back. companies are going to have to make drastic improvements with their skins to make me change my mind in the future.
I totally agree if you going to keep it stock. But whatever I get will be running custom roms anyway. Right now I am running a CM 10.1 based rom called Beanstalk that is incredible. That said if the Nexus 5 is a well done phone with a decent price, I will pick it up this fall.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I totally agree if you going to keep it stock. But whatever I get will be running custom roms anyway. Right now I am running a CM 10.1 based rom called Beanstalk that is incredible. That said if the Nexus 5 is a well done phone with a decent price, I will pick it up this fall.
from what i've seen the nexus phones are much easier to root. not saying that say, a GS4 is hard, just by comparison easier.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
boom:

According to IDC, Apple shipped 14.6 million iPads in the second quarter of 2013, a 14% drop from the 17 million tablets it shipped in Q2 2013. Over that same time, Android tablet shipments surged from 10.7 million in Q2 2012 to 28.2 million in Q2 2013, an increase of just under 163%. These reverse trajectories caused iOS and Android&#8217;s market shares to essentially flip over the past year: While Apple held a 60.3% market share and Android held a 38% market share in Q2 2012, Android now holds a 62.6% market share and Apple holds a 32.5% market share.

http://bgr.com/2013/08/05/ios-android-tablet-market-share-2/

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
When you can buy one for less than $70 brand new, I'd *hope* that sales would be higher than one that you can't buy for less than $300...

That being said, it'll be interesting to see how Apple reacts to the new Nexus 7. Reviewers feel it's a far superior product regardless of the price, and being $100 cheaper only makes it an even better deal.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I have heard otherwise from folks that are using the nexus 7. There are some serious drawbacks that don't come out in the specs.
Not really, its pretty hard to beat. I have one and have used a lot of different tablets. That reviewer you refer was pretty clueless. Certainly not tech-report material.

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Apple continues to rip you off on the Wifi-only iPads - No GPS (an actual SERIOUS drawback). You must buy the WAN version if you want GPS support in apps. Apple integrates the GPS functionality into the optional WAN setup. The Nexus series and most android tablets have GPS built-in to all models and a lot of apps poll your location so you don't have to manually enter it for searches, content, etc

A GPS is much more useful than a slightly nicer camera on the Mini - its a tablet and most people also own a smartphone which is better suited and less awkward.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I bought one for my Dad after his PC died. I am very happy at how well he has adapted to it. It works flawlessly. He bought a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo for it and uses it as a PC.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I have heard otherwise from folks that are using the nexus 7. There are some serious drawbacks that don't come out in the specs.
I don't know who you are hearing from that there are "serious drawbacks" but everyone I know using them, including myself, are very pleased.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
stop bringing logic into this!
when most offerings of tablets are running android and only a couple of models on IOS, those figures were bound to happen
Exactly why their desktop and server products eventually lost out and they became a consumer electronic company first and foremost. Their model eventually fails.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
stop bringing logic into this!
when most offerings of tablets are running android and only a couple of models on IOS, those figures were bound to happen
Exactly why their desktop and server products eventually lost out and they became a consumer electronic company first and foremost. Their model eventually fails.
it has less to do with number of SKU's than it does their price point; they price their goods as premium products. that's what killed their desktops and servers, that's what's hurting their tablets.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
it has less to do with number of SKU's than it does their price point; they price their goods as premium products. that's what killed their desktops and servers, that's what's hurting their tablets.
price has never been an issue with apple's CE products though. people still continue to buy them in droves despite their high prices. for years there wasnt any real competition to their ipad until recently. yes, the ultra cheap tablets are helping boost android sales but there are now countless options that werent there in the past

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
price has never been an issue with apple's CE products though. people still continue to buy them in droves despite their high prices.
It becomes much more relevant give the current economic climate unless niche takes priority over mainstream

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
It becomes much more relevant give the current economic climate unless niche takes priority over mainstream
its only been within the last year that the droid products have been boosting their sales. the economy took a dump a lot longer then a year ago and yet apple's products continued to sell (in part to lack of competition obviously)

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
its only been within the last year that the droid products have been boosting their sales. the economy took a dump a lot longer then a year ago and yet apple's products continued to sell (in part to lack of competition obviously)
Probably 3 years or so after they've made up their mind they respond. Look at all the reactive action they've taken in recent years - copying features from android and/or buying IP rather than coming up with their own. They waited a long time to make their own mini tablet - lots of missed opportunities and following the real innovators.

5c plastic phone coming this Fall. Its not only in the last year that android has the majority of the market. Clearly you aren't paying attention.

Last edited:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Probably 3 years or so after they've made up their mind they respond. Look at all the reactive action they've taken in recent years - copying features from android and/or buying IP rather than coming up with their own. They waited a long time to make their own mini tablet - lots of missed opportunities and following the real innovators.

5c plastic phone coming this Fall. Its not only in the last year that android has the majority of the market. Clearly you aren't paying attention.
I think that the biggest problem with Apple is that they innovate in MASSIVE leaps and then sit back and watch as everyone else takes their general idea and not only brings out a similar product at a WAY cheaper price, but actually innovates and improves the product. Apple figures out a market for something and makes something truly innovative (iPod, iPhone, iPad), and then sit back for the next 5+ years making tiny incremental improvements and playing catch-up to it's competitors. Apple revolutionized the smartphone market (I had a Treo and a Blackberry and they truly sucked compared to the iPhone), and then sat back and watched as Android not only matched the user experience but surpassed them in features, from 4G, larger screens, higher resolution screens, NFC, Maps, Google Now, etc. The biggest Apple innovation since the original iPhone I can think of was Siri, which wasn't even that great in practice. Everything else was pioneered on Android, and then 6-12 months later Apple comes out with a similar feature.

Now they've shown there's a market for tablets and yet sat back while 7" Android tablets became popular, cheaper tablets became popular, etc. Anyone want to bet that there'll be a "retina display" Mini coming out in ~6 months, and a cheaper plastic-bodied one in another 12 months?

If I were Apple I'd be paranoid about the rise of cheap Android tablets since the only thing they can sell right now is the App store. But how many of those Apple-only developers are looking at the skyrocketing rate of Android tablets and are going to start developing for them as well? Do they really want to continue making apps for something that has ~20% of the market?

Dunno, we'll see.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The biggest Apple innovation since the original iPhone I can think of was Siri, which wasn't even that great in practice. Everything else was pioneered on Android, and then 6-12 months later Apple comes out with a similar feature.
SIRI was developed by the government and published as an app commercializing their IP BEFORE Apple owned the company. Only thing innovative was the successful marketing of the existing technology (and google had voice actions prior to SIRI - they weren't the first natural language application either).

Apple picks and markets new technology when its primed for success more often, rarely do they lay the ground work as true innovators because being an early adopter is a PITA and too risky.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
SIRI was developed by the government and published as an app commercializing their IP BEFORE Apple owned the company. Only thing innovative was the successful marketing of the existing technology (and google had voice actions prior to SIRI - they weren't the first natural language application either).

Apple picks and markets new technology when its primed for success more often, rarely do they lay the ground work as true innovators because being an early adopter is a PITA and too risky.
I would gladly give up being considered a true innovator for a couple billion.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I would gladly give up being considered a true innovator for a couple billion.
Got to agree with captain glitter.

Also, if they have the technology and the marketing, they win. Just because someone "invented" it doesn't entitle that person to much if he/she can't bring it to market. Xerox had the. GUI early, but didn't do anything profitable with it. However, someone else sure did. Who gets the credit now?