Quantcast

Apple's (Doomed) Tablet - Old man yells at icloud

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I would consider replacing both my iPad 2 and iPhone 5S with a 6 Plus.
I have a galaxy noche 2 and it's not really an ideal replacement for both. I would actually prefer a smaller phone like an s5 or perhaps an i6 and the ipad at home. I got the note because I didn't have an ipad at the time, and thought it would be a great bridge. Now that I have the thing, I kind of wish I had a smaller phone.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I love the size of my original Galaxy S. Not huge, but plenty big for most everything. After spending 5 days with my S3 before its fail, it looks like the HTC 1 M8 might be up to task. If he can drop it 17 times, it might live. I've only dropped my S about a dozen and it only has a crack in the corner of the rear plastic cover. A big phone with a case is just too damn big for me but everything is 4.8" or bigger, all I need is a usable 4, maybe 4.2 screen.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm not a fan of the giant phone craze.

I really want my phone to be compact and pocket-able. I was very happy with Motorola's original Moto X because it did not jump to the phablet size, and am a little disappointed that this year's got so big.

I think the <5" models are in the sweet spot but it seems like you can't get a high end phone if you want it small.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'm not a fan of the giant phone craze.

I really want my phone to be compact and pocket-able. I was very happy with Motorola's original Moto X because it did not jump to the phablet size, and am a little disappointed that this year's got so big.

I think the <5" models are in the sweet spot but it seems like you can't get a high end phone if you want it small.
:stupid:

The Nexus 4 was just perfect, but the 5 is too damn big and the lack of 4g is silly.

The S5 "mini" was a great idea, only the hardware sucks ass compared to the S5. The size is right, but the stats suck ass yet again. No real high end phone in the sub 5 class. I want sub 4.5 myself.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If they keep the bezels down, I think the 4.7-5" phones can be okay but I really think 5" is at the edge. I have a very nice 7" tablet that is plenty portable when I'd like a larger screen to watch movies or browse from the sofa.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Too small for one use, too big for the other?
mostly too small for true tablet surfing/time wasting. the thing is fine to make calls with. I don't notice it in my hand nor pocket, really...it's just not as good as the ipad at surfing, and i'd rather have a smaller phone in my pocket or camelbak for riding, if i ever go again. It is nice because there's plenty of real estate to turn off mobile pages (back to desktop) if you need to, but I think I could be happy on a slightly smaller phone. I almost never use the stylus, even though that was part of the reason I bought it for. I'm not disappointed with it, I just think the two devices accomplish their specific tasks better. I don't use the ipad anywhere but the couch, but the note goes with me everywhere.

If there's anything else you're wondering, I'm happy to give my opinions...I know I couldn't go to a tiny iphone, but of the two new apple devices, I'd probably want the smaller one.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Fair enough. I guess sticking with my iPhone 5S and upgrading my now quite old, pre-Retina iPad 2 to the latest and greatest next product cycle update would be better. I, too, use the iPad exclusively in home/on couch.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I actually use my phone much more than the Ipad and looking forward to a bigger screen so I can better see pictures without having to zoom.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
When I had my work Nexus 7 (and Nexus 4 sometimes) I used it a lot for watching movies and tv shows because I could hide in my room. If I had bought one, I would likely use it, but I haven't justified the tablet. I just want a Nexus 4 with 4g, the LG G3 looks good, too. But like BV, 5 just seems too big for me, and I have large hands.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
jimmydeanThe Official Meat of Ridemonkey
When I had my work Nexus 7 (and Nexus 4 sometimes) I used it a lot for watching movies and tv shows because I could hide in my room. If I had bought one, I would likely use it, but I haven't justified the tablet. I just want a Nexus 4 with 4g, the LG G3 looks good, too. But like BV, 5 just seems too big for me, and I have large hands.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Will it bend? Yes:

http://www.dailydot.com/technology/iphone-6-plus-bendgate/

Too thin, poor engineering/build quality:

Previous iPhones were thicker and not as long. In material bending, larger cross sectional areas (thickness x width) and shorter lengths make things stronger (You can't easily bend a cube), while the opposite makes things very easy to bend (paper is easily folded). The increased length and decreased thickness contribute to the weakness of the new iPhone. Strength is proportionally related to length, but strength is affected much more by changes in thickness.

All other things being equal, this 0.5 mm change in thickness greatly affects the bending strength. While the iPhone 5S was only 7% thicker than the iPhone 6 Plus, it was actually 22% stronger in bending. When you make something longer, it gets proportionally more bendable, when you make it thinner, it gets a lot more bendable.
Westy had a good story about Apple "engineering" in a previous thread.

Should ask LG for some help, they have large flexible phones in production:

http://www.cnet.com/products/lg-g-flex/

Samsung does real testing and doesn't bend:

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Protip: don't upgrade to ios8 if you have an ipad 2 yet/ever. Made my little internet box slow way down. Kind of sad. Luckily you can go back, for now.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Ha, I had a phone that bent before it was cool to have a phone that bent.
Same thing, stupidly light, thin phone would twist in my pocket so I bought a Nokia that lasts 8 times longer on a charge and uses data only when I say it's ok, feck Android it's poop!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Protip: don't upgrade to ios8 if you have an ipad 2 yet/ever. Made my little internet box slow way down. Kind of sad. Luckily you can go back, for now.
I turned off the fancy transitions and visual effects and it seemed to help. Fortunately, we don't use the iPad 2 for basically anything except Facetime and Jenn monitoring her fantasy football team so it's not a big deal.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hmmm...didn't know you could do that. Mine just seemed to really slow down opening up programs and web pages and stuff, and I hated the "hide tab" feature in safari, and I couldn't find how to turn it off. Plus, Giggle Gang didn't work in ios8, so I couldn't deal with that (neither could my 1yo)

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Ever :rofl:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/24/6839235/apple-ios-8-0-1-released

One week after the launch of iOS 8, Apple released its first update for the new OS — iOS 8.0.1 — on Wednesday afternoon. It was meant to fix a slew of bugs, but that's not what happened. Immediately after the update hit, reports began flooding in that iOS 8.0.1 was breaking cellular reception and other features like Touch ID. Apple eventually removed the faulty update, but not before an untold number of users were able to install it. "“We have received reports of an issue with the iOS 8.0.1 update,"

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That squarespace bend test is as scientific as Apple's mechanical engineering team. Get a fucking Instron machine you cumslurping ass felchers. (Sorry wrong thread for such language).

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
That squarespace bend test is as scientific as Apple's mechanical engineering team. Get a fucking Instron machine you cumslurping ass felchers. (Sorry wrong thread for such language).
I would assume that the real Westy would know that ass felchers by virtue are cumslupers and would have omitted that as redundant. Mmike is that you? Westy is a lot smarter then you and would have not made such a amateurish mistake.....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I would assume that the real Westy would know that ass felchers by virtue are cumslupers and would have omitted that as redundant. Mmike is that you? Westy is a lot smarter then you and would have not made such a amateurish mistake.....
Obviously an ass-felcher is a cum-slurper. However not all cum-slurpers are ass-felchers. In fact, ass-felching is a subcategory of cum-slurping. It is not redundant to describe both attributes but simply a thorough taxonomic description. But I shouldn't be so harsh, one should not expect the lay-person to understand the minutiae of such a science.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Obviously an ass-felcher is a cum-slurper. However not all cum-slurpers are ass-felchers. In fact, ass-felching is a subcategory of cum-slurping. It is not redundant to describe both attributes but simply a thorough taxonomic description. But I shouldn't be so harsh, one should not expect the lay-person to understand the minutiae of such a science.
I suppose I could be faulted for that as could you in your knowledge of dead corpse drying jack ass....

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
We need the language filter back, you people(white 18-42yo, middle class atheist males) can't be trusted with such power.

I pray to FSM for all of you.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Apple responds.

Our iPhones are designed, engineered and manufactured to be both beautiful and sturdy. iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus feature a precision engineered unibody enclosure constructed from machining a custom grade of 6000 series anodized aluminum, which is tempered for extra strength. They also feature stainless steel and titanium inserts to reinforce high stress locations and use the strongest glass in the smartphone industry. We chose these high-quality materials and construction very carefully for their strength and durability. We also perform rigorous tests throughout the entire development cycle including 3-point bending, pressure point cycling, sit, torsion, and user studies. iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus meet or exceed all of our high quality standards to endure everyday, real life use.

With normal use a bend in iPhone is extremely rare and through our first six days of sale, a total of nine customers have contacted Apple with a bent iPhone 6 Plus. As with any Apple product, if you have questions please contact Apple.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Really Apple we should contact you directly but I really like to bitch only. Typical Apple trying to tell me what to do.
When I had my Macbook Pro, I took it in to have them upgrade the memory and when I picked it up, they had wiped the hard drive for my convenience. I was so impressed by their service, I never went back.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Couldn't these jokers at least have done some that mimics real life use or maybe its just about getting clicks on their sites. Products that breaks due to incorrect use is not news. How about getting a line of girls with different size asses and skinny jeans and get them to sit down and stand up and see who will bend the phone. That would be a lot more interesting on several levels.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Couldn't these jokers at least have done some that mimics real life use or maybe its just about getting clicks on their sites. Products that breaks due to incorrect use is not news. How about getting a line of girls with different size asses and skinny jeans and get them to sit down and stand up and see who will bend the phone. That would be a lot more interesting on several levels.
No iPhone 6 bumper jeans coming soon: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/25/fashion/new-iphones-bulge-in-all-the-wrong-places.html