Quantcast

Apple's (Doomed) Tablet - Old man yells at icloud

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yet again companies are still gouging for flash storage $100 to bump to each pricepoint and of course it doesn't have an SDHC or microSDHC (or better yet SDXC) slot as an alternative like almost every other device on the market. Nah people wouldn't want to view the photos right off their digital camera or easily share content. Great that they didn't make things just work and go to microUSB like the rest of the market too.
Hey, they gotta keep something in their back pocket so they can release an "updated" version this time next year to cash in on repeat purchases.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
why would they tether it?
I guess "piggyback" would be a better word for what I meant. My question is could I use the existing AT&T 3G data plan for my iPhone or would I have to shell out another $30/month for a dedicated data plan for the iPad?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I guess "piggyback" would be a better word for what I meant. My question is could I use the existing AT&T 3G data plan for my iPhone or would I have to shell out another $30/month for a dedicated data plan for the iPad?
yes. because its non-contract I think this would prevent the kind of piggybacking you were hoping for.

But $30 for unlimited data is actually a pretty smokin' deal for a non phone device.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
But $30 for unlimited data is actually a pretty smokin' deal for a non phone device.
Haven't been following other eBook/tablet devices, but most of them have cellular modems and some form of Internet functionality and I think they are less. The Android based ones could be pretty good especially with Tegra 2 in them (though I think Tegra has been mostly a tablet and nettop thing at CES).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Haven't been following other eBook/tablet devices, but most of them have cellular modems and some form of Internet functionality and I think they are less. The Android based ones could be pretty good especially with Tegra 2 in them (though I think Tegra has been mostly a tablet and nettop thing at CES).
most e-book readers have very VERY limited web capabilities, if any.

Dunno of any other tablets that have dropped that are comparable, at least that are on the market.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Dunno of any other tablets that have dropped that are comparable, at least that are on the market.
Not in regards to cellular plans but most other tablets from CES have more functionality at least using a desktop OS or like the Lenovo which switches from a regular laptop to linux tablet.

I do think the eBook partnerships are pretty good but until the prices come down this is going to be a limited audience like those that need maxipads...like iPhone versus standard cellphone sales - flashy and overhyped niche and out of reach/touch.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i wish it folded in the middle and had a keyboard...oh wait...hurf hurf hurr dur durrrrrrf

It looks stupid. I bet it'll sell millions.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Yet again companies are still gouging for flash storage $100 to bump to each pricepoint and of course it doesn't have an SDHC or microSDHC (or better yet SDXC) slot as an alternative like almost every other device on the market. Nah people wouldn't want to view the photos right off their digital camera or easily share content. Great that they didn't make things just work and go to microUSB like the rest of the market too.

Why does Apple continue to follow in the footsteps of Sony with proprietary (with the added insult discernible advantage whatsoever vs something like Beta vs VHS) non-sense doesn't improve the user experience.
come on its apple. when have they ever gone with the "norm"
people will still drop their panties for this.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I do think the eBook partnerships are pretty good but until the prices come down this is going to be a limited audience like those that need maxipads...like iPhone versus standard cellphone sales - flashy and overhyped niche and out of reach/touch.
Oh come on, the iphone is very popular. At least use valid arguments in your hating.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Oh come on, the iphone is very popular. At least use valid arguments in your hating.
Nope. Smartphones (including ones that easily outsell the iPhone) are still a small minority in global handset sales. People might want smartphone and eventually they'll spread to the masses like most technology does with time, but its a luxury, not a necessity even for most that have smartphones right now.

Don't have time to see if 2009 is up yet but 2008 sales...only 1/10th of the unit sold were smartphones from any handset maker. Rich people who need maxipads are not the average joe.

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Given their crap products it's amazing they're still in business

Apple Reports First Quarter Results

All-Time Highest Revenue and Profit
New Accounting Standards Adopted

CUPERTINO, California—January 25, 2010—Apple® today announced financial results for its fiscal 2010 first quarter ended December 26, 2009. The Company posted revenue of $15.68 billion and a net quarterly profit of $3.38 billion, or $3.67 per diluted share. These results compare to revenue of $11.88 billion and net quarterly profit of $2.26 billion, or $2.50 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 40.9 percent, up from 37.9 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 58 percent of the quarter’s revenue.

Apple sold 3.36 million Macintosh® computers during the quarter, representing a 33 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter. The Company sold 8.7 million iPhones in the quarter, representing 100 percent unit growth over the year-ago quarter. Apple sold 21 million iPods during the quarter, representing an eight percent unit decline from the year-ago quarter.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Argue all you want, when they sell 21 million of them in a year, I can't consider it a "niche" device. It's hard NOT to see an iphone when you go somewhere.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Argue all you want, when they sell 21 million of them in a year, I can't consider it a "niche" device. It's hard NOT to see an iphone when you go somewhere.
kinda like idiots :clue:

:rofl:

which reminds me, a while back I read an article about Jay Leno. They were ripping on him and his segment "jaywalking"... "Seriously, anyone could walk down Melrose Place and find an idiot"

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Given their crap products it's amazing they're still in business
Fast food items are popular, as JK noted - kinda like idiots (or obese people).

As your article noted but some missed, its 21 million including all iPod devices, not just the small fraction of iPhones and that is a 8% decline from last year.

Last edited:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Seems kinda gimmicky to me. I'm sure they'll sell millions of them but I would rather have a 10" laptop with an air card.

What they should really sell is the enlarging ray machine they used to make the iphone bigger.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Can't run more than one app at a time = fail.

It's the iPhone that doesn't fit in your pocket. Bad enough the iPhone doesn't fit very well in the pocket as it is.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Can't run more than one app at a time = fail.

It's the iPhone that doesn't fit in your pocket. Bad enough the iPhone doesn't fit very well in the pocket as it is.

Jailbreak anyone?

Man, $499 - $829 can buy a lot of REAL books.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Seriously would you buy something like this to game on? You can buy a halfway decent laptop/netbook for the asking price. Internet from ATT, no thanks. A 1 ghz processor why not stick os x on it? 10 hr battery life + office, the ipad would have been able to take on a lot of netbooks with features like that. A camera and mic would have been great features too (video conf, recording lectures etc). Im trying to think of something with the screen that big that isnt protected, it looks like a drop or two and its toast.

Starting to think something like this has more of a market in the educational arena than anywhere else. Perhaps interactive text books or something of the like. Im sort of dreaming here but I just had the idea after reading a couple of reviews about it.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Starting to think something like this has more of a market in the educational arena than anywhere else. Perhaps interactive text books or something of the like.
doctors might be able to use it too maybe. they use small pocket pc's for all their medical jargon

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I predict a new thread. "So I am switching over from my xerox tablet to a Ipad."
Alan Kay invented the tablet (and was key in many other revolutionary technologies way ahead of their time) at Xerox but he later worked at many other big companies (Atari, Disney, various universities, HP, etc) including Apple. He is a true visionary who thought different unlike car salesman slimeball Jobs...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My Aspire 1 was like $300. It's only an 8" screen, but it does enough for me and I can toss it in my tank bag and not worry about it.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I think it has potential and could fight laptops for market share down the road, but I'm not interested as it sits now. Maybe I just don't read enough to care about the e-readers and not having access to any apps besides iTunes is a dealbreaker. It really looks like a giant iPhone. I was hoping they were going to introduce a new iPhone since I have been waiting to replace my OG one and don't want a 3GS when a new model is most likely over the horizon shortly.

I think it's going to be interesting to see how they actually sell. I would be much more inclined to just buy a laptop. More money, but actually useful.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
This is my eee PC 1000 running Mac OS 10.6.1 Everything works normally (bluetooth, airport, sleep, etc) and battery life is about 5 hours. $150 on craigslist and used my ninja skills to install the os onto the two ssds.