Quantcast

Apple's (Doomed) Tablet - Old man yells at icloud

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Would consumers pay 2x as much for them to last 2x as long? 1.5x as much? Where’s the breaking point on price for lifespan?
Mine have been going strong for a year of daily use.
They owe me nothing and I'll buy another pair without hesitation.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I do love me some slave labor electronics.

Civilization as you (we?) understand it, is just skin deep.
There is 2.5+ billion people in china and india. Another 1.2 billion in south east asia and latin america, and another 1.2 in Africa.
Thats about 2/3 of the world right there, where that video is the "normal".

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Can you buy a laptop that isn't made using slave labor?
I was looking at the VAIO ones because some production is done in Japan but I can't get them here.
My last three have been Fujitsu as they did final assembly in Japan but they are now majority owned by the shady cunts at Lenovo so I won't buy another.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Can you buy a laptop that isn't made using slave labor?
I was looking at the VAIO ones because some production is done in Japan but I can't get them here.
My last three have been Fujitsu as they did final assembly in Japan but they are now majority owned by the shady cunts at Lenovo so I won't buy another.
I need a new laptop, mine is 10 years old and as of this week the current battery won't charge to more than 40%.

Probably going to go with something from Dell outlet.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I need a new laptop, mine is 10 years old and as of this week the current battery won't charge to more than 40%.

Wow, is that with the original battery?
If everything else is okay you could do a new battery an SSD and it may still be quicker that most entry level ones now.
But at 10yrs I would call that a great run and go for a new one.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

I despise my Dell based work laptops. Partially because of the crappy corporate image but thermal management is non existent and the chassis is incapable of supporting the power of the processor and they seem to suffer a hardware failure of some sort on an annual basis. That being said you can probably get a good Dell if you go with the higher end models just don't go with the turbocharged V-8 spec in the Pinto chassis.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Wow, is that with the original battery?
If everything else is okay you could do a new battery an SSD and it may still be quicker that most entry level ones now.
But at 10yrs I would call that a great run and go for a new one.
Second battery, it's already SSD with plenty of RAM.

It's my old work laptop, so it owes me nothing.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
my work Dell is a POS.

My old work Thinkpad flew off the roof of my truck onto the street and still worked better than my current dell ever did.

Current vehicle is much nicer now, though…

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Every major brand has crappy laptops and good ones, so you'll almost inevitably get good and bad stories from each brand.

Generally, if you buy a laptop from a big box brand, stick with the flagship series - for Dell, that would be the XPS series. The business-series laptops can be great, too, and often come with better tech support.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
business-series laptops can be great, too
That's what I've always had, because it's always been a written off old work laptop when a new one has replaced it. This current one that's on a downward slope is a Latitude E6430 from Aug 2012. Current work one is a Precision 5520, just passed its 5th birthday.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Every major brand has crappy laptops and good ones, so you'll almost inevitably get good and bad stories from each brand.

Generally, if you buy a laptop from a big box brand, stick with the flagship series - for Dell, that would be the XPS series. The business-series laptops can be great, too, and often come with better tech support.
I just replaced my well aged windows laptop a few days ago, doubt it had 6 years on it but it was rendered useless via outdated software versions and current version compatibilities.

I literally use a windows laptop only for radio programming, firmware updates and fuel injection/mapping usage so it may see the light of day 2-4 times a year. The cheapest and smallest device I could find that still had 8 gig of ram and an SSD was a Lenovo Yoga but was stoked to see it folded into a tablet and had a touch screen.

On the other hand, I still have a Macbook from 2009 I keep around and it runs flawlessly

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
On the other hand, I still have a Macbook from 2009 I keep around and it runs flawlessly
Paying for a virtualization software like Parallels might be cheaper than keeping both a Windows and MacOS laptop.

My work laptop is a Macbook because I can run both MacOS and Windows side by side.

edit: also I'm surprised that there were actual version incompatibilities. I wonder if they might have been able to be resolved; nearly anything from the last 10 years can run Windows 10.

Last edited:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Paying for a virtualization software like Parallels might be cheaper than keeping both a Windows and MacOS laptop.

My work laptop is a Macbook because I can run both MacOS and Windows side by side.

edit: also I'm surprised that there were actual version incompatibilities. I wonder if they might have been able to be resolved; nearly anything from the last 10 years can run Windows 10.
Certain things like old unsupported net frameware versions, old hardware drivers and the specific outdated software that is specific to most of my interfaces or devices inhibits the use of any emulator or parallels for mac, believe me I have tried many workarounds and have found its just easier to have a cheap windows laptop around.

For example, one piece of software I use monthly for radio programming uses Net frameware 2.0, the programming itself is 15 years old and is still being updated monthly as well but no new suite will be added due to the ancient methods of comms between the software and devices such as USB to 3.5mm plug then is when the old obscure hardware drivers enter the chat. Same goes with my diagnostic software for the motorcycles when changing or tuning maps, throttle position sensors or doing anything with ECM/ECU work. Still to this day when you enter a reputable moto shop they are stuck using a windows machine with old plugins to make things work.

On the plus side things are slowly evolving to a wifi/bluetooth interface but it cant come soon enough.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Certain things like old unsupported net frameware versions, old hardware drivers and the specific outdated software that is specific to most of my interfaces or devices inhibits the use of any emulator or parallels for mac, believe me I have tried many workarounds and have found its just easier to have a cheap windows laptop around.

For example, one piece of software I use monthly for radio programming uses Net frameware 2.0, the programming itself is 15 years old and is still being updated monthly as well but no new suite will be added due to the ancient methods of comms between the software and devices such as USB to 3.5mm plug then is when the old obscure hardware drivers enter the chat. Same goes with my diagnostic software for the motorcycles when changing or tuning maps, throttle position sensors or doing anything with ECM/ECU work. Still to this day when you enter a reputable moto shop they are stuck using a windows machine with old plugins to make things work.

On the plus side things are slowly evolving to a wifi/bluetooth interface but it cant come soon enough.
I sold a very old laptop with a fresh install of XP on it a year or so ago because the guy needed that platform for ECU flashing.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I sold a very old laptop with a fresh install of XP on it a year or so ago because the guy needed that platform for ECU flashing.
Even running a 64 bit windows machine with the newest versions I still have to load old unsupported net framewares and drivers that I have saved on thumb drives since they are getting harder to find anymore. I fear this may be the last modern windows machine I was able to use and dance around compatibility issues. Luckily I see the wireless movement taking on momentum.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Don't like Teams, but it's at least working better now in year 3 or 4 or whatever it is for us. We still use zoom a lot, especially to talk to people externally, it seems to connect better. In general though, we are able to do a lot of stuff that used to require a lot of face to face. The dumpster fire is how much security stuff is loaded on our computers and trying to use Adobe products. I've watched the computers just never load stuff on co-worker's computers, same model as mine.