Quantcast

Apple's (Doomed) Tablet - Old man yells at icloud

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I blogged about this today, and it is somewhat relevant to this thread:

Toshi said:
When the iPhone originally was released I remember some heckling in the press about its size. Fast forward a few years and it actually seems relatively diminutive in comparison to its current peers. This brings up the question of "how big is too big to be pocketable?" Implied as well is "how obtrusive of a device is still acceptable to use at meetings?"

I'd argue that one end the 3.5" screen size iPhone and similar "normal sized" phones are clearly acceptable in corporate/hospital conference culture. At the other end, it's also pretty clearly taboo to bust out a netbook or laptop and bury oneself in it--it's not college mass lecture anymore. What about the middle? 4.3" giant Android phones seem ok etiquette-wise and are pocketable for men or "purseable" for women. What about the 5" Dell Streak? 7" fabled iPad nano or hypothetical Chrome OS/Android tablets? A fullsized 9.7" iPad? The iPad wouldn't fit in any pocket that I know of, but would it be culturally acceptable?

Such are the important questions that I mull over during my day while on an outside rotation where I have no clinical responsibilities...

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I saw a ******* device at my work today that was about 2/3 the size of the ipad, but nowhere near as 'nice'. It was slow as hell, bad UI, etc.

Sorry I cant mention the name, but I don't see it doing very well anyways.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Just got a company wide notice yesterday that we no longer write Personal Articles Policies for iPhones, mobile phones, mobile media and on the end of the note - iPad.

Losses in the past two years were nearly 2 1/2 times premium collected.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
the honda dealership my dad takes my mom's car to has done away with magazines....they hand out ipads in the service department while you are waiting on your car.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
the honda dealership my dad takes my mom's car to has done away with magazines....they hand out ipads in the service department while you are waiting on your car.
That's way better than having a goddam tv blasting mutherfvckin FOX news in your face while you wait. Kind of upscale and classy in a way.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar

That would be pretty cool. I'd just sit there for a few hours and play "Plants vs
Zombies" for while. Damn addicting game.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
I purchased an iPad last Thursday and returned it today.

The biggest issue I had was lack of real keyboard. Because of that, my typing was slow and the whole thing felt like an awful compromise between an iPhone and a Mac. Lack of flash support didn't help matters.

My search for my ideal netbook continues. A 10" MacBook Air would be perfect (in theory).

crohnsy

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
T Bay
I purchased an iPad last Thursday and returned it today.

The biggest issue I had was lack of real keyboard. Because of that, my typing was slow and the whole thing felt like an awful compromise between an iPhone and a Mac. Lack of flash support didn't help matters.

My search for my ideal netbook continues. A 10" MacBook Air would be perfect (in theory).
Well you clearly gave it a chance..... :rofl:

At first I didn't like typing on mine but now I find it quick and easy. Still faster on a real keyboard but its pretty quick for emails and the odd forum post...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
I gave it a chance. Left town with it Thursday night and played with it all weekend at the hotel and expo.

I bought it for something small, and easily packable that was simple, for net and email. Is that not what a netbook is?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BTW, when I need a map route, check a quick fact, or the score of the game, you know I am picking up my Ipod Touch, not turning on my computer.

I think the marketing genius of the Ipad is not what it can't do, but what it does and does well.

By leaving out all the driver support and even multi-tasking, you have a great little appliance.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I think the marketing genius of the Ipad is not what it can't do, but what it does and does well.
Agreed. Haven't read a single book on mine... not really into reading novels anyway. But I far prefer to read online and it's by far the best way to watch web video I've experienced to date.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Just in case anyone was worried about the Samsung Galaxy Tab making inroads against the iPad, think again:

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2011/01/31/samsung-galaxy-tab-sales-actually-quite-small/

2 million shipped to distributors, but the number sold to consumers is "quite small."
As soon as the phone ability was removed, what's the point?

Apple has followers to buy every product they make, useful or not, the rest of the people actually expect more from a product.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
neat device, priced too high....apple people would buy a turd in a black turtleneck and mom jeans.

I want a tablet, but I wouldn't spend more than $300 for it. I think it would be great for surfing the tubes on the couch, where you don't need word processing power nor to make calls nor to play games...just surf tubes and watch chootube and etc.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
None of the apps I'm working on for this year are going to be developed for Android anything -- iPad and iPhone only.

Sad. I like my Android telephoning machine.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
My girlfriend bought me one for Christmas and I really like it. Works great for what I need it for, especially just around the house....oh and like now, entertaining myself at a boring conference...

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
My girlfriend bought me one for Christmas and I really like it. Works great for what I need it for, especially just around the house....oh and like now, entertaining myself at a boring conference...
I hated on the iPad until I got to play with one. My girlfriends dad had one and it was dope. She got me one for xmass and it is titties! The only downfall of it is the lack of gd flash, kills me!

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I was pretty indifferent until I got to play with one in person. I have had an iphone since they came out, so I was guessing it was going to be pretty similar. I have a desktop at my house and the ipad does everything I need it to do when I travel or just hang out at home. I really have no reason to have a full laptop and I really like the touchscreen aspect of it. I would like flash support...but it is what it is. I really don't have a huge problem with flash sites and if I do go to a site, it's usually not important, more like a product website and I can just look when I get home. I like the fact it is instant on, easily portable, has a good battery life and does every thing I need it to.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I hated on the iPad until I got to play with one. My girlfriends dad had one and it was dope. She got me one for xmass and it is titties! The only downfall of it is the lack of gd flash, kills me!
Skyfire is working quite well for me on my Iphone. I am assuming that they have an app for the Ipad?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The Galaxy looks nice. So does the Creative and Nook Color. Ipad has no expandable memory. And its an Apple.
i've had some hands on time with the galaxy. its nice, but not for what it costs and an pre 3.0 version of android.

i'm pretty astounded at the hacks that are being made available for the nookC.