Quantcast

Apple's (Doomed) Tablet - Old man yells at icloud

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Skyfire is working quite well for me on my Iphone. I am assuming that they have an app for the Ipad?
How does that work? Does it launch the app to play flash clips? What about websites with embedded flash such as menus? That's the only downer on the iPhone/iPad is when a site won't load because the whole front page is flash. I don't really seem to have that problem much, but it sucks when I do.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Still can't move the left hand enough to play bass/guitar, but yesterday, I launched my keyboard app and ran the headphone out into my pedal board and amp and got to make some fun noise with my wah/octave/distortion/delay pedals :)

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
just linked my iPad to Logic Pro (recording software) and set it up as a MIDI controller over wifi. no i can create any keyboard/pad/knob/slider/switch device i want on my iPad, then assign it to control a parameter of my choice in the recording software including virtual software instruments. BIGNO!

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I was skeptical about the ipad at first. Then my work bought me one as a bonus. I was like MEH. Now I drag the damned thing with me everywhere. It's just so accessible. No waiting for a laptop to wake up or dragging a heavy bag around. I keep snagging promo games for free or 99¢ and now have an assload of very decent games. Dropbox keeps me synced with my work and home desktops.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I was skeptical about the ipad at first. Then my work bought me one as a bonus. I was like MEH. Now I drag the damned thing with me everywhere. It's just so accessible. No waiting for a laptop to wake up or dragging a heavy bag around. I keep snagging promo games for free or 99¢ and now have an assload of very decent games. Dropbox keeps me synced with my work and home desktops.
I have one and I agree. I may be getting an Ipadge2 from work for being so awesome as well. Now I can set them up just like a laptop! iPad jenga!

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Anyone buying magazines and/or subscriptions on theirs? "Enhanced" issues (like wired, etc.) or zinio-style?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Anyone buying magazines and/or subscriptions on theirs? "Enhanced" issues (like wired, etc.) or zinio-style?
I downloaded the Wired free issue (same for the Daily, Economist, etc.) but haven't bought anything.

freebizmag.com has me spoiled by free-save-for-the-ads-on-their-pages paper mags coming my way.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
What'd you think of Wired's issue? And of the idea of an enhanced e-mag with vid/audio/animations/photo galleries/etc.? Does anyone care, and/or are you still plunking down $ for ye olde timey print mags?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The only paper mag I'm actually paying for is National Geographic, and I got that on sale for $5 for a year. My wife still subscribes to the trashy Cosmo and clones and the like, likely at full price.

I thought the Wired issue was well done and easy enough to read, except that it kept on crashing. (The Daily was even worse. Horrible.) At $5/issue I'm simply not interested, though.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
more shady business techniques by a shady company. HP will be biting the bullet and offering price protection to BB so they dont have to take back all those units. what BB is doing is illegal, but HP cant afford to lose a customer like them so they are going to take it in the ass and sell it to them at a cheaper price. :think:
stay classy BB
HP's mistake was not launching the pre3 simultaneously with the touchpad, since their native interactivity was one of the platforms most unique features.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
interesting... android tabs have grabbed 20% market share. any individual android tab is still a drop in the pond compared to the ipad, but that is way higher of a market share than I expected. Though I expect this will jump in Q4, second gen tabs from the big guys (moto, samsung, asus) will most likely hit for the holidays, and current gen tablets will be getting DEEP price cuts. Expect to see current gen android tabs for $200 (or less) for the holidays.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20110811006418/en/Android-Takes-20-Media-Tablet-Market-Share

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
HP's mistake was not launching the pre3 simultaneously with the touchpad, since their native interactivity was one of the platforms most unique features.
their cell phone wouldnt have made a difference w/ where BB stands. its just BB's way of not trying to push the HP products and solely focus on the product that has the market cornered.
like i said before, what BB is doing is illegal

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I was in BB to buy the Samsung Galaxy needed to test some apps we are doing for a client. Surprised how many tablets are out now and it must be tough competition. Not only do each have to compete with Apple but now all the other too. I was laughing when a saw the Blackberry tablet - what a joke. Could they have made it any smaller.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
interesting... android tabs have grabbed 20% market share. any individual android tab is still a drop in the pond compared to the ipad, but that is way higher of a market share than I expected. Though I expect this will jump in Q4, second gen tabs from the big guys (moto, samsung, asus) will most likely hit for the holidays, and current gen tablets will be getting DEEP price cuts. Expect to see current gen android tabs for $200 (or less) for the holidays.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20110811006418/en/Android-Takes-20-Media-Tablet-Market-Share
I bet the above report is using shipped figures, not sales to end-users. One need only look at the posts above yours to see why those former figures are crap.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I don't think anyone likes BB - consumers, OEMs, etc. They suck all around. Fry's needs to open stores in the East, at least they have good deals.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Fry's needs to open stores in the East, at least they have good deals.
that worked so sell for H.H. Gregg.
the east coast market is the toughest in the country when it comes to CE....particularly the NYC metro market. over expansion in this market is a death note now. look at 6th Ave :rolleyes:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
People don't want tablets, fanbois want iPads. Like a big version of the iPod vs other MP3 player issue.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
that worked so sell for H.H. Gregg.
the east coast market is the toughest in the country when it comes to CE....particularly the NYC metro market. over expansion in this market is a death note now. look at 6th Ave :rolleyes:
Fry's specials are always lower than everyone else, even the online resellers. Anything is better than BB.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Fry's specials are always lower than everyone else, even the online resellers. Anything is better than BB.
6th Ave had the NYC market cornered with retail store prices which carried over to their site...before they over expanded and started headed down the toilet.

and yes, anything is better than BB

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I bet the above report is using shipped figures, not sales to end-users. One need only look at the posts above yours to see why those former figures are crap.
i know that asus's sales of the transformer are doing really well; for a while they couldn't keep up with demand (and that's shipping 3-4 hundred thousand units per month). Don't know the numbers for the current galaxy tab, what with all the sales blocks, but the OG galaxy tab sold over a million units too (and thats to end users, not units shipped, and that number is as of dec 2010).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
People don't want tablets, fanbois want iPads. Like a big version of the iPod vs other MP3 player issue.
people think they don't want tablets. i've let a number of people try mine who had no interest whatsoever in a tablet, and just using it changed there minds.

yes, a lot of them are basically just smartphones with a bigger screen. most people underestimate how much better it really is with the extra real estate.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Gartner provides the real figures, but I haven't checked for tablets. Apple loves to use shipped unit figures to hype themselves up:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/11/nokia-still-ahead-of-apple-in-smartphone-sales-according-to-gar/
yea, i was gonna say, apple is guilty of doing the same thing.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
more shady business techniques by a shady company. HP will be biting the bullet and offering price protection to BB so they dont have to take back all those units. what BB is doing is illegal, but HP cant afford to lose a customer like them so they are going to take it in the ass and sell it to them at a cheaper price. :think:
stay classy BB
We did this at McAfee and got hammered for it. Called it "stuffing the sales channel" where we shipped product to retailers, called it sales and didn't report returns or unsold product. They did this for a year trying to build up to a pre IPO release before they got busted. When nobody got a raise because the stock price for Network Associates (parent company then) nose dived from $35 a share to about $6, I quit.

Good times.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
We did this at McAfee and got hammered for it. Called it "stuffing the sales channel" where we shipped product to retailers, called it sales and didn't report returns or unsold product. They did this for a year trying to build up to a pre IPO release before they got busted. When nobody got a raise because the stock price for Network Associates (parent company then) nose dived from $35 a share to about $6, I quit.

Good times.
in this case i doubt it was "stuffing the sales channel" so much as it was "over-forecasting sales"

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
in this case i doubt it was "stuffing the sales channel" so much as it was "over-forecasting sales"
correct. BB and HP anticipated this item to be "hot" and it obviously bombed with their extremely high sales forecast. now BB doesnt want to be "stuck" with all these extra units since at the going rate, they'll still have by the year 2050. HP would be stupid to take back all those units, so theyll more than likely be a price reduction at the expense of HP (maybe BB too.) theyll call it "advertising" funds internally but the money will be pushed towards reducing the price of the tablet.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
correct. BB and HP anticipated this item to be "hot" and it obviously bombed with their extremely high sales forecast. now BB doesnt want to be "stuck" with all these extra units since at the going rate, they'll still have by the year 2050. HP would be stupid to take back all those units, so theyll more than likely be a price reduction at the expense of HP (maybe BB too.) theyll call it "advertising" funds internally but the money will be pushed towards reducing the price of the tablet.
it also gets back to the point that failing to launch the touchpad side by side with the pre3 was a HUGE blunder.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
it also gets back to the point that failing to launch the touchpad side by side with the pre3 was a HUGE blunder.
I think a bigger blunder was trying to make their own OS or whatever rather than just using android.

...maybe for their next trick they can release a bunch of PCs with a new OS to compete with microsoft and apple. :rofl:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think a bigger blunder was trying to make their own OS or whatever rather than just using android.

...maybe for their next trick they can release a bunch of PCs with a new OS to compete with microsoft and apple. :rofl:
i've had a fair amount of time hands on with webos, and honestly its a better OS than both android and iOS. Palm made some serious blunders with the pre though. first gen had mediocre build quality and under powered hardware. second gen was an improvement on both aspects, but honestly it was what the first gen should have been, especially considering the hardware specs for the phones on the market at the time. From what i've read, it sounds like HP has made the same mistakes too, the hardware is underpowered to really drive the OS as smoothly as its capable of.

edit: and to clarify, palm has been building mobile specific OS's far longer than either google or apple.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
edit: and to clarify, palm has been building mobile specific OS's far longer than either google or apple.
Longer != better

Google has done a great job with Android (better tablet interface than iOS too), but with the purchase of Moto, that might cause issues. Guess we will see.

I still haven't settled on a tablet for my project yet, but there are a lot more options now than 6 months ago and more on the way.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Longer != better
absolutely agree, but they made the same mistake as microsoft - waiting too long to revamp their software to compete with google and apple (remember back when your only choices for smartphones were rim, winmo, or palm? seems like ancient history now). As a result, they failed to gain a foothold market share for the current smartphone explosion.

And if you want my honest opinion, windows phone 7 and webOS are both worlds better than android or iOS.