Quantcast

Apple's (Doomed) Tablet - Old man yells at icloud

crohnsy

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
T Bay
http://www.penny-arcade.com/2010/1/22/

I got my Zune a few days before the iPhone was announced.
It was a smartly manifested little brick to be sure, its combination of brown and green oddly compelling, but the iPhone represented an object so profound that multiple industries were warped by its mere proximity. You could hate the company utterly, vomiting at the sight of their vile and bitten crest, and then still tumble to this assertion's fundamental truth: that their portable computer, which is also a phone and a bunch of other ****, changed the world.

Now they want to make a really big version of it, to which I say yes.
UPS is telling me that my Nook will arrive on the 25th, just two days before (most people believe) Apple is set to announce their thing, which is awesome. This is more or less how it always happens when I decide to make my move on a piece of technology. I'll try to find something ironic to read on it before it catches on fire, burning itself out of existence.

It's got to be so annoying to compete with Apple, at anything really, because it's not like they're doing something ****ing crazy. Everybody's had these ideas before. The difference, and this is grim if you are a competitor, but the difference is that everyone else spends a lot of time (and often, money) determining why those things aren't possible. And then it comes out, for real, only you didn't make it. Some other guys did. And when you come out with what is (on paper) a better version of the same thing, maybe even multiple times over, it's too late. You made a "product" to compete with their "product," tastefully arranging your regiment, only to discover that they hadn't made a product at all - they made a narrative. A statement about how technology should interface with a life.

I'm not saying this to be mean, or get my kicks, or to engage in psychic vampirism. Competing with these ****ing people must be a genuinely harrowing state of affairs.
(CW)TB out.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
iPad? seriously? some of the most creative minds in the industry, and you come up with IPAD?!?!?! I'm sure Tampax is kicking themselves for not coming up with it first.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
You got your steroids in my iphone! You got your iphone in my steroids!

Edit: My first impression was "That thing will ****ing explode if you drop it."

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I'll have to buy one a month.
Yeah the netbook's keyboard protects the screen when you aren't using it plus its a real keyboard.

I supposed BS's macbook he had to replace numerous times was a quality device worth the premium over a $300 netbook from HP. IAB, how many times has MBC had to replace her netbook:rofl: OSX and flash work just fine on netbooks and yet the Maxipad still doesn't have flash (hardware accelerated ion on HP and others even to handle 1080p)...

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Looks like no multitasking either and you are limited to lame smartphone applications. Desktop OS applications are far more numerous and useful than smartphone apps and you aren't forced to download them from a central filtered/censored "store". If you buy a device, you should own it!

I wouldn't want a bike if the company that made it only let me run certain brands of tires or other components - would you?

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
This may be, but can you tell me how many more PC's there are in the world than macs...5 times, 6 times, 10 times, more?
Yeah they weren't successful after all this time - consumer electronics is another story, that is my point:think:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Cheapest model is $500. Definitely not as bad as I was expecting, but that's lowest end. High end is $830

Breakdown:

wifi only (60 days to launch)

16 gig $499
32gig $599
64gig $699

wifi + 3g (90 days to launch)

16 gig $629
32 gig $729
64 gig $829

it'll be interesting to see if there are going to be carrier subsidies for the 3g models.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
no mention of data plan options for anyone.

yet.
Via AT&T...$15 for 250MB per month or $30 per month unlimited, no contract. They didn't say anything about "tethering" into an already existing 3G data plan for current iPhone users.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Yet again companies are still gouging for flash storage $100 to bump to each pricepoint and of course it doesn't have an SDHC or microSDHC (or better yet SDXC) slot as an alternative like almost every other device on the market. Nah people wouldn't want to view the photos right off their digital camera or easily share content. Great that they didn't make things just work and go to microUSB like the rest of the market too.

Why does Apple continue to follow in the footsteps of Sony with proprietary (with the added insult discernible advantage whatsoever vs something like Beta vs VHS) non-sense doesn't improve the user experience.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Via AT&T...$15 for 250MB per month or $30 per month unlimited, no contract. They didn't say anything about "tethering" into an already existing 3G data plan for current iPhone users.
yea my feed updated so i edited my original comment.

why would they tether it?