Quantcast

Apple's (Doomed) Tablet - Old man yells at icloud

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Can't play flash??!?

It also lacks a built-in camera to take photos and video and the ability to play Flash-based content on Web sites.
Apple better hope it takes off as a multi-media platform, useful for watching movies, reading books and light surfing of the internet, since it can't do anything else. As an expensive Kindle, it works. As a laptop replacement, uh.......... not so much.

But then again, I'm probably not the person to ask. Ska_Todd probably already has one on order and has been to the Apple store 2x today to demand one now. :D

iandude94

Monkey
May 30, 2008
OC, NY
If it played flash then you could use hulu to watch tv shows instead of buying them on itunes. You using hulu=no money for apple. Im sure they can do it they just wouldn't make money. Same thing with charging wirelessly, they can do it, they just make to much money on charging accessories for it to be worth it.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
This is my eee PC 1000 running Mac OS 10.6.1 Everything works normally (bluetooth, airport, sleep, etc) and battery life is about 5 hours. $150 on craigslist and used my ninja skills to install the os onto the two ssds.

hmmmm I was going to use a mac mini for my carputer but that looks very nice.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
FWIW youtube is starting to support html5, and I'm sure others will follow.

For those of you who don't understand what that means, html5 has native media embedding support, meaning flash isn't necessary.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
If it played flash then you could use hulu to watch tv shows instead of buying them on itunes. You using hulu=no money for apple. Im sure they can do it they just wouldn't make money. Same thing with charging wirelessly, they can do it, they just make to much money on charging accessories for it to be worth it.
interesting point

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
hulu has a much smaller library, and the content isn't as high of quality.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Well when I said hulu I also meant all other websites where you could watch shows like Cbs and Fox's website.
where do you think hulu gets their content :clue:

But I get your point. And it is a valid point. However, I've heard rumors that flash support is coming to Palm's webOS, and possibly blackberry as well

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I still don't really see the point.

The iPhone is pretty cool; a phone w/ lots of other functionality.
The iPod Touch is a little less cool IMO; no real need for an mp3 player w/ so much extra 'crap'
But the iPad seems like the worst touch-screen they've done. Less functionality than a laptop at almost the same size, and slightly less money.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The iPhone is pretty cool; a phone w/ lots of other functionality.
The iPod Touch is a little less cool IMO; no real need for an mp3 player w/ so much extra 'crap'
But the iPad seems like the worst touch-screen they've done. Less functionality than a laptop at almost the same size, and slightly less money.
Its more money than an atom or Core 2 Solo ULV laptop with similar size screen. You can get a pretty nice ultralight 13" even with a 3G modem integrated like this - http://www.dell.com/us/en/business/notebooks/vostro-v13/pd.aspx?refid=vostro-v13&s=bsd&cs=04

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
This is distinctly "meh" in my opinion.

He claims it delivers the internet into your lap but it excludes the single most popular rich media protocol on the 'net (flash). It's large enough that it will require special carrying considerations, yet typing on it will be tedious. Ergonomically, typing is going to be a pain in the ass since you can't lay the thing down flat in front of you in a normal typing position and have a good viewing angle but it's got a big enough keyboard that it sort of encourages normal typing position vs. thumbs or whatever. It's big and flat and glass so it needs some protection, but then you're increasing the size...

I don't know, it seems like a fun toy if you have a bunch of money to throw around. I'd probably enjoy one sitting on my coffee table for screwing around on the internet or playing games on my sofa. But at the price, I wouldn't buy one.

If I was really into eBooks, I'd probably buy it because it would provide a good eBook reader with a lot more functionality.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
This is distinctly "meh" in my opinion.

He claims it delivers the internet into your lap but it excludes the single most popular rich media protocol on the 'net (flash). It's large enough that it will require special carrying considerations, yet typing on it will be tedious. Ergonomically, typing is going to be a pain in the ass since you can't lay the thing down flat in front of you in a normal typing position and have a good viewing angle but it's got a big enough keyboard that it sort of encourages normal typing position vs. thumbs or whatever. It's big and flat and glass so it needs some protection, but then you're increasing the size...

I don't know, it seems like a fun toy if you have a bunch of money to throw around. I'd probably enjoy one sitting on my coffee table for screwing around on the internet or playing games on my sofa. But at the price, I wouldn't buy one.
I think it's a niche machine that should serve its intended purpose well. Anyone who wanted a kindle, or thought it was a good idea should be even more impressed by this.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
this is gonna be a lot more popular than y'all think. Consider the ways most AVERAGE people use their computers. Surf the web, type an email or 4, listen to music, watch tv/movies, share photos. The netbook was originally intended to cater to this, but the form factor was all wrong (and for some of it was generally underpowered).

BV, keep in mind there is a keyboard dock for if you need to type out something long.

Granted, it might take a while to take off, but we're gonna see a LOT of this kind of device in near future.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
this is gonna be a lot more popular than y'all think. Consider the ways most AVERAGE people use their computers. Surf the web, type an email or 4, listen to music, watch tv/movies, share photos. The netbook was originally intended to cater to this, but the form factor was all wrong (and for some of it was generally underpowered).
The netbook platform has more processing power (especially with ion and similar) but the battery life isn't as good as the MID/tablet. nVidia's Tegra 2 platform is comparable in battery life though which is more of a direct competitor to the A4.

BV, keep in mind there is a keyboard dock for if you need to type out something long.
Form that takes away from functionality is a drawback though, ease of use is more important. The Europeans latched on to this concept years ago which is why ergonomics from their products are way ahead.

You shouldn't need a drawer full of accessories and a special stand to use your device merely adequately.

Woz was right about Apple losing focus on making things easier to use - Apple isn't even close to revolutionary any more in anything but business models.

Granted, it might take a while to take off, but we're gonna see a LOT of this kind of device in near future.
Convergence to smartphones in the future seems far more likely for people with more limited computing needs.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The netbook platform has more processing power (especially with ion and similar) but the battery life isn't as good as the MID/tablet. nVidia's Tegra 2 platform is comparable in battery life though which is more of a direct competitor to the A4.
yea I'll give you that, but what devices are on the market with tegra2 right now?

Form that takes away from functionality is a drawback though, ease of use is more important. The Europeans latched on to this concept years ago which is why ergonomics from their products are way ahead.

You shouldn't need a drawer full of accessories and a special stand to use your device adequately.
Again I agree. Apple goes overboard on the minimalist approach. Hell the iPad needs an adapter to use USB devices. WTF!?

But I don't think the keyboard dock is a bad idea necessarily, but I agree it is a band-aid fix. Granted, I can't speak from first hand experience in regards to the performance of the touch keyboard. Given the larger size I think it would be an improvement over say, a phone size touch keyboard.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
CES had various Tegra 2 tablets on display and prior to that an nVidia officers was showing one off (engadget mistook it for an iPad tablet at one point). The Notion Tegra 2 tablet (which has been in development for over 3 years now) should have some more coverage in early February at the MWC in Spain.

But I don't think the keyboard dock is a bad idea necessarily, but I agree it is a band-aid fix. Granted, I can't speak from first hand experience in regards to the performance of the touch keyboard. Given the larger size I think it would be an improvement over say, a phone size touch keyboard.
Yes, like kiosk touchscreen applications - best for limited input tasks. Even with the short usage times, almost all kiosks have ergonomics taken into consideration. As BV noted, unless your coffee table is a drafting table it's going to be piss poor ergonomically

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I think it's a niche machine that should serve its intended purpose well. Anyone who wanted a kindle, or thought it was a good idea should be even more impressed by this.
Yeah, you quoted me before my edit. I do agree that this would make a substantially better eBook reader for the gadget geek. The screen isn't as good for reading (since it's backlit), but it's a ton more functionality.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Anyone who wanted a kindle, or thought it was a good idea should be even more impressed by this.
i bought my mom a kindle because its simple. if it didnt keep breaking it would be a perfect ebook.
obviously this thing does more than just display ebooks, but someone who is looking for a ereader, probably isnt going to pony up the money for this.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
i bought my mom a kindle because its simple. if it didnt keep breaking it would be a perfect ebook.
obviously this thing does more than just display ebooks, but someone who is looking for a ereader, probably isnt going to pony up the money for this.
I said this exact thing when ipods first came out... "why would someone pay hundreds of dollars for an ipod when you can get a normal mp3 player for under $100?"

I was wrong, if you make something pretty and shiny enough (and admittedly with a good user interface), people will buy it.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I was wrong, if you make something pretty and shiny enough (and admittedly with a good user interface), people will buy it.
But ease of use and simplicity is no longer the primary goal at Apple, profits are. Unfortunately they have good marketing, great lock-in with their store, and people don't think different...they don't think at all - its shiny and sound cool but often its whats best for Apple not whats truly best for the end-user :rolleyes:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I said this exact thing when ipods first came out... "why would someone pay hundreds of dollars for an ipod when you can get a normal mp3 player for under $100?"
I still say that. :rofl:

My Sansa was about $30 refurbished and I updated the software to RockBox. It's awesome.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Did Apple keep the 1.5 headtube from taking over too?

:D
No but Steve Jobs said a load of crap about how he doesn't like DRM when it suited his marketing image a few years ago.

There is a whole industry of increasingly outdated content providers who have pissed all over fair use laws and used all sorts of slimeball lobbyists - you think this is a good thing?

Apple loves DRM and restrictive distribution models, ease of use be damned. Are you going to cheer when Apple absolutely controls what and where you can use your laptop too :confused:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
No but Steve Jobs said a load of crap about how he doesn't like DRM when it suited his marketing image a few years ago.

There is a whole industry of increasingly outdated content providers who have pissed all over fair use laws and used all sorts of slimeball lobbyists - you think this is a good thing?

Apple loves DRM and restrictive distribution models, ease of use be damned. Are you going to cheer when Apple absolutely controls what and where you can use your laptop too :confused:
Wanna stroke steve job's jock? there's an app for that.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
But ease of use and simplicity is no longer the primary goal at Apple, profits are.

Apple's goal has always been to make a profit. Anything they say to the contrary is what's known as "marketing". :p :D

Seriously though, every corporations primary goal is to make money. Anything they do, including coming up with a good user interface, is simply a means to an end... making a profit.

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Profits are the primary goal of all corporations. Always have been, always will be. And that's the way it should be.
Anti-trust laws exist for very good reason and the aim for short term gains almost completely ruined worldwide economies. Stronger regulation is clearly needed and justified - profits only does not work.

Apple markets themselves as revolutionary, counter culture, and thinking different. Think different - think again.

Jobs' anti DRM manifesto was one of his many lies, for marketing purpose only as demonstrated by the new iPad model - http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/06/a-letter-from-steve-jobs-on-drm-lets-get-rid-of-it/

Last edited:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
But Apple markets themselves as revolutionary, counter culture, and thinking different. Think different - think again.

Jobs' anti DRM manifesto was one of his many lies, for marketing purpose only as demonstrated by the new iPad model - http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/06/a-letter-from-steve-jobs-on-drm-lets-get-rid-of-it/
Of course they did! That's what marketing and advertising is! Telling lies in order to trick the public into buying your product. You know as well as I do that advertisers and lawyers will share the same circle in hell.

If I was Jobs I would do the same thing. Your loyal cult following are (mostly) a bunch of retards anyway. Why not tell them what they want to hear and make millions off of them? If they call you on it make up some new lies, release a new bright shiny object and make more money. If you have figured this out about them, don't start squacking about how evil they are... go buy some of their iStock!

Apple... they're the "Hot Topic" of electronics.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
No Flash support in the browser is a real dealbreaker... Can't really compare it to a netbook if you don't have a full on browser.

And, I know it's been repeated a lot, but how can one justify this thing when he/she already owns a laptop and an iPhone...

First time in a while I'm puzzled with an Apple release

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I am pretty sure most of our 29'r/Single Speed customers own an Apple product. If you own and ride a recumbent you most assuredly are a Mac user....