Quantcast

Apple's (Doomed) Tablet - Old man yells at icloud

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Let's make an ipod touch, only let's make it the size of a magazine. When I first saw it I thought it would have a phone app, and I couldn't wait to see people holding giant phones up to their heads like in the 80's.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I finally read the specs on that thing today.
Thinking about it, there isn't a single thing the Ipad does that my $400 HP can't do better.

And I don't have to pay an extra $69 for a propriotary keyboard.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
It's an awesome looking device and seems to operate really slick. What's gonna kill it (I suspect) is the price.
What's gonna kill it, eventually, is Android. Linux > Iwhatever. Oh, and Android 2.1 will be coming out very soon, with a little something called Flash Support.

crohnsy

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
T Bay
What's gonna kill it, eventually, is Android. Linux > Iwhatever. Oh, and Android 2.1 will be coming out very soon, with a little something called Flash Support.
No what will kill it is iPad 2.0.

Flash sucks and its high time companies start supporting its death.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
2.1 is technically already out, but only supported on the nexus one.
True. From what I gather, I actually think I could root my Droid and install the updated OS, but for now I think I'll just wait patiently for the official update. Although I'm not digging Verizon/Google's secrecy about about when that release date will be.

The full Flash support and integration of being able to run Google Earth is going to be :thumb:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Flash sucks and its high time companies start supporting its death.
Flash does suck but for the end-user that wants to access tons of content that doesn't matter - they want something that just works - they don't care about technical concerns. That is supposed to what Apple is all about but these days only in marketing. Apple is holding back both the content providers and the end-user.

Apple still can't deliver the real Internet how many years after their commercials that made that claim?

And without Flash support, iPad users will not be able to access the full range of web content, including over 70% of games and 75% of video on the web.

If I want to use the iPad to connect to Disney, Hulu, Miniclip, Farmville, ESPN, Kongregate, or JibJab -- not to mention the millions of other sites on the web -- I'll be out of luck.

The_Dude

Chimp
Jun 20, 2005
Pretty soon you will be comparing Jobs to JD Rockefeller. He's taking his straw and sucking up all of your tablets, picture frames, touch abbacuss's and what have you.

iandude94

Monkey
May 30, 2008
OC, NY
There not putting flash on it for a reason. If you could play tetris on safari on your ipad for free, why would you spend the $5 on it on the app store? Its there way of business and it's working. Millions of these things will be sold even if there is no flash.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Adobe's take on Apple's restriction of flash implementation:

It looks like Apple is continuing to impose restrictions on their devices that limit both content publishers and consumers. Unlike many other ebook readers using the ePub file format, consumers will not be able to access ePub content with Apple's DRM technology on devices made by other manufacturers. And without Flash support, iPad users will not be able to access the full range of web content, including over 70% of games and 75% of video on the web.
If I want to use the iPad to connect to Disney, Hulu, Miniclip, Farmville, ESPN, Kongregate, or JibJab -- not to mention the millions of other sites on the web -- I'll be out of luck.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/28/adobe-on-flash-and-the-ipad-apple-is-continuing-to-impose-rest/

edit: Also worth noting, Palm devices (pre & pixi) will have Flash 10.1 capabilities once webOS 1.4 hits sometime in February

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
What is the purpose of the ipad? I really do not see how it is going to be a popular device for many people. You still need a PC or laptop, cell phone and music player if you fon't have a iphone.
I think apple could have done a lot more if they spent the money making a super iphone of some sorts. Something a tad bigger than the current model that would still fit in your pocket.

I'm sure they will sell a lot of them at first, rich kids, tech geeks and the few people that will actually benefit from one will buy it. In a year or two this is going to be nothing more than Steve Jobs' big dream being a failure.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
What is the purpose of the ipad? I really do not see how it is going to be a popular device for many people.
you do realize it sold 150k units in 3 days and should sell nearly a million units during the first few weeks of its release (when the total global tablet market is 2-3 million)

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
What is the purpose of the ipad? I really do not see how it is going to be a popular device for many people. You still need a PC or laptop, cell phone and music player if you fon't have a iphone.
I think apple could have done a lot more if they spent the money making a super iphone of some sorts. Something a tad bigger than the current model that would still fit in your pocket.

I'm sure they will sell a lot of them at first, rich kids, tech geeks and the few people that will actually benefit from one will buy it. In a year or two this is going to be nothing more than Steve Jobs' big dream being a failure.
Realistically the iPad is another platform for Apple to sell apps. And it will probably as popular as the iPhone.

Personally speaking I see this device as having great potential for assisting people with severely impaired vision with tasks such as reading documents and surfing the web. It will be interesting to see if it it comes equipped with these capabilities and if not, then certainly an app could be developed for such purpose. While it may seem irrelevant to you, the possibility of easily accessible information to those with disabilities would be of great benefit.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Personally speaking I see this device as having great potential for assisting people with severely impaired vision with tasks such as reading documents and surfing the web. It will be interesting to see if it it comes equipped with these capabilities and if not, then certainly an app could be developed for such purpose. While it may seem irrelevant to you, the possibility of easily accessible information to those with disabilities would be of great benefit.
From http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/ibooks.html
iBooks works with VoiceOver, the screen reader in iPad, so it can read you the contents of any page.
http://gizmodo.com/5492622/apples-ipad-will-perhaps-controversially-read-e+books-aloud

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Not quite what I had in mind. Some users with impaired vision can still read, but must use magnification in addition to glasses and may prefer this method to having to listen to a computer voice. I'm interested in the iPad because there is the possibility that it could enlarge text and make the document efficiently navigable.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Realistically the iPad is another platform for Apple to sell apps. And it will probably as popular as the iPhone.

People with severely impaired vision would fall into the category of the few people that will actually benefit from one.

150,000 units sold, is that a lot? I'm not a expert in the consumer electronics field.

I just don't think it will be a knock out like some people think. Not saying I wouldn't want an ipad, it would be fun as hell to tool around with but I think the novelty would wear off pretty quick. I think the odd size of it bothers me, too big to carry like a phone and a hair too small when you can compare it to laptop.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Not quite what I had in mind. Some users with impaired vision can still read, but must use magnification in addition to glasses and may prefer this method to having to listen to a computer voice. I'm interested in the iPad because there is the possibility that it could enlarge text and make the document efficiently navigable.
A netbook with Windows 7 already has far better impaired user features and supports more languages plus it has a real keyboard which is superior to a touchscreen with a lower price and more capability with a lot more free applications (or existing applications period, many already well established for the impaired). Apple can't say the iPad is better than a netbook as a netbook is no different than their higher-end laptops other than changes in specs and their marketing itself ranked the iPad as below their laptops.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Ubuntu 9.10 remix is optimized for the display on my Aspire One 8" netbook and it incredibly fast with only minor tweaks. I paid $250 or so plus added 1GB of memory. My little netbook is a ripper.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Ubuntu 9.10 remix is optimized for the display on my Aspire One 8" netbook and it incredibly fast with only minor tweaks. I paid $250 or so plus added 1GB of memory. My little netbook is a ripper.
The only drawback to ubuntu on netbooks or laptops is the inferior power management schemes - you loose quite a bit of run time compared with Windows or OSX. I tend to only run that on my desktops for that reason.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The only drawback to ubuntu on netbooks or laptops is the inferior power management schemes - you loose quite a bit of run time compared with Windows or OSX. I tend to only run that on my desktops for that reason.
I think the 9.10 remix has a better power management scheme. Especially if you turn the always on fan to auto. I get a solid hour or so of heavy usage with the stock battery. A guy here has the EEEPC with the HUGE battery and he goes about 4 hours.

<edit> An hour is more than I ever got out of my Powerbook or my Thinkpad, so I'm happy with that.