Quantcast

Apple's (Doomed) Tablet - Old man yells at icloud

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Well read the whole article another one says:

Hoey added that Apple’s transition to a luxury lifestyle brand means shoppers now expect not just the best design and technology from the company’s products, but the best customer service

If you want to split hairs. English is only my second language but I am pretty sure high-end and luxury is more or less the same. I would actually say high end is above luxury. Or you have a presentation saying the opposite.

If you read what I have already written I have not disagreed with you that things change change quickly even for Apple. Again I am saying your comparison between current Apple and 90s bailout Apple are irrelevant. Two very different companies.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Since you can only buy Gourmet Popcorn how would we be able to determine if non gourmet popcorn is any good? Do we just assume that it is better because they brand it as gourmet? The leather on my couch is high grade leather, but since I can't qualify that. I can only assume that I paid that much for the premium grade leather atleast. Miller claims to make the Champagne of beers, but I can assure you it is not....

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Well read the whole article another one says:
I did read it, that's not in the article I posted in my reply.

Since you can only buy Gourmet Popcorn how would we be able to determine if non gourmet popcorn is any good? Do we just assume that it is better because they brand it as gourmet? The leather on my couch is high grade leather, but since I can't qualify that. I can only assume that I paid that much for the premium grade leather atleast. Miller claims to make the Champagne of beers, but I can assure you it is not....
Right, it's marketing. Like the many eager brand managers pushing their mass Chinese made bikes in the same realm (OR HIGHER) as actual boutique bikes. Exploit the ignorant.

Smartphones are a different animal than most luxury goods or bicycles - too complex for small volume which is why the luxury smartphones are either crap or just rebuilt/jeweled smartphones (from Apple even) so they make little sense to almost all people regardless of income.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I did read it, that's not in the article I posted in my reply.

Right, it's marketing. Like the many eager brand managers pushing their mass Chinese made bikes in the same realm (OR HIGHER) as actual boutique bikes. Exploit the ignorant.

Smartphones are a different animal than most luxury goods or bicycles - too complex for small volume which is why the luxury smartphones are either crap or just rebuilt/jeweled smartphones (from Apple even) so they make little sense to almost all people regardless of income.
I went to Whole foods and asked for Non Gourmet Popcorn. They just walked me over to the Popcorn section and said that is all they have. I went to the whole foods website and wrote a scathing email to them.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/9/8176049/apple-watch-edition-vs-rolex-benjamin-clymer-interview

On Apple's faux marketing-based, mass produced bedazzled 'luxury' watch from China. Doesn't get any tackier than that:

To help place the Apple Watch within the context of other luxury watches, we invited Benjamin Clymer, founder and executive editor of luxury watch site HODINKEE, to paint a picture of the market for us. Sure, you could spend $10,000 for an Apple Watch Edition, but you could also buy a classic Omega Speedmaster for roughly the same price — and the Speedmaster won't ever need a software update.

At today’s Apple Watch announcement we learned just what it can do and how much it will cost. Comparisons between "smart" watches (about which I write maybe one-and-one-fourth days of the year) and traditional mechanical watches (about which I write some 364 days of the year) have been the topic of much discussion since September’s pre-launch. Since then, I have been asked, oh, I dunno, 15,000 times, how I think the Apple Watch will impact the traditional watch market. Will Apple Watch be the number one watch in the world by year-end? Undoubtedly. Will it put a lot of smaller, low-end watch brands out of business? I sure hope so. (I mean that there are simply too many brands doing too little interesting work, and it’s time to trim the fat.) But the biggest difference between Apple Watch and a mechanical watch is how they are priced, and what one actually gets for the money they pay at different price points.
A simple, time-only piece can cost $100,000. Whether the case is gold or platinum, the price of a Philippe Dufour watch remains (roughly) static — you are not paying for materials, you are paying for Mr. Dufour’s time and touch. The Apple Watch has minimal human value, and that is the biggest difference between it and its mechanical counterparts.
All versions of the Apple Watch, even the most expensive, are made in China, with very little hand-assembly.
At and above $20,000, you begin to enter the absolute highest echelons of mechanical watchmaking. Here the human value of each watch can make up 50 percent of the final retail price. There are two different roads one can take in this category of uber watch — either the Mr. Dufour route where the watches are simple looking, but incredibly finely finished and beautiful from the rear (similar to these), or one can trend toward "complicated" watches. These watches can, for example, keep track of the date, including leap years, for over 200 years at a time. If a watch is complicated and incredibly finely finished, the price compounds into the six-figure range — like a Patek Philippe perpetual calendar chronograph. In this range, almost anything goes and the human value should always be significant... something the Apple Watch will never be able to claim.

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
iWatch (and all wearables, imo) are ridiculous.
The apple hate in this thread has finally seeped into my head and I've kicked the apple brand from my life.
Loving my surface3 and have a new moto-x en route, which should be interesting have never used android.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
People scoffing about the price of luxury have never stopped other people paying that price for luxury.
For true luxury items, not the mass-produced Chinese goods that are obsolete in a year built on commodity technology. If fake luxury worked, we'd be seeing $50 McKobe burgers at McDonalds too.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
For true luxury items, not the mass-produced Chinese goods that are obsolete in a year built on commodity technology. If fake luxury worked, we'd be seeing $50 McKobe burgers at McDonalds too.
the voice of reason.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Tons of luxury products that wear out in a year and even within your definition of true luxury items. Just look at the all the luxury leather good like handbags or shoes. A lot of that stuff is made with the finest materials by some old man in Italy and will not last more than a season.

Just because you think its a stupid idea and some guy who loves handcrafted watches thinks its stupid will not stop tons of rich people buy it and it will not stop people buying the cheaper versions either. I am sure the 10K watch is just a halo product they are making to test out the luxury market and see if they can go more high end but its not what will drive the bottom line success.

I think it almost impossible to say anything about the product right now before get a chance to see it in use, test battery life and even more importantly see how good the apps will be. I think just like with the smartphones its the apps that made the phones really interesting.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
They said all-day / 18 hrs - a LOT worse than previous successful smartwatches like Pebble (which works with iOS, Android, and Windows Phone). The new Pebble added color etc and still has around a week - also the most successful kickstarter campaign ever:

http://mashable.com/2015/02/26/pebble-time-10-3m-on-kickstarter/

Also many people into smartphones see little to no value in having watches. Its similar to the tertiary tablet device but to a greater degree other than for fitness tracking purposes there's not a killer app situation here.

Smaller and more accurate fitness wearables with better battery life seem to make more sense than smartwatches.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Tons of luxury products that wear out in a year and even within your definition of true luxury items. Just look at the all the luxury leather good like handbags or shoes. A lot of that stuff is made with the finest materials by some old man in Italy and will not last more than a season.
Truly luxury handbags (i.e. Hermes Birkin that starts at $10k), shoes and accessories are not a one season toy, they are perceived as an investment because they are rare, last a lifetime despite what you are saying and become vintage rather quickly, just like exotic cars.

It does not make much sense to me to put a mass-produced chinese gadget with a lifespan << 2 years in the same category.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I know you like article but @syadasti this rude woman thinks you are just farting from you mouth (or from your keyboard)

https://unicornfree.com/2015/nobody-will-pay-10000-for-an-apple-watch-other-reasons-you-cant-sell-shit
Considering her website won't load, she's not really saying anything.

Also Apple - it just doesn't work:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/03/10/apple-ios-8-2-problems/

...The first post for the giant WiFried Support Communities thread was published on 20 September, just three days after iOS 8’s initial release. Since then Apple has released seven iOS 8 updates without fixing or acknowledging it – and judging by the mass of furious comments added since iOS 8.2 went live, the wait goes on.

Interestingly WiFried appears to hit all iPhone, iPad and iPod touch generations equally. In addition to continually dropping or refusing to connect to a wireless network, WiFried can also cause severe battery drain with some reports of affected devices lasting just 4-6 hours on a full charge.

The good news is iOS 8.3 is already in testing. So maybe it will be eighth time lucky?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
You must be on an Apple because it loads perfectly fine on my PC.
Loads now, she just doesn't know how to pick a hosting service. She might be good at picking lunch and farting, but why should anyone care about a random blogger?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
It would also be good for these smartwatches/trackers to not only track and accumulate data well, but also make sense of the data, make recommendations, pull out patterns, etc, etc. Most can generate tons of data but it's typically of limited use to the average user.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
It would also be good for these smartwatches/trackers to not only track and accumulate data well, but also make sense of the data, make recommendations, pull out patterns, etc, etc. Most can generate tons of data but it's typically of limited use to the average user.
Soon to come to your life - tons of data uploaded to iServers, processed, patterns found, sold to insurance companies. Oh you exercise 5x a week and don't smoke? We don't think so...