Quantcast

Apple's replacement policy

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I heard somewhere that if you buy an Apple product, it can be replaced within 30 days with a newer model (if the newer model comes out withing the 30 days).

Anyone heard that?

I basically bought an iPhone 3G last week and now they are announcing the release of the new 3GS iPhone.

I purchased it at a cellphone store here in France (SFR), if that helps. SFR has slashed the price of the 3G to make way for the new iPhone, so I'm not counting on anything, but hey, it'd be nice.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
D'oh! I should have read your post sooner. I would have made an exchange with you. I just got an iPhone 3G.
It would not work and cannot be unlocked via official means. ATT's (and other providers with SIM cards) regular contract phones are locked to their network. Every phone EXCEPT the iPhone can usually be unlocked under the DCMA after 90 days. Apple is colluding with ATT - another great feature of the iPhone:weee:

http://www.phonenews.com/complain-fcc-over-iphone-unlocks-now-pay-later-4938/

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Anyone heard that?
Yes, a couple times, and always from people who have purchased something and feel slighted because there's a new model - never from a reliable source or a policy document or anyone who's ever actually experienced this.

It would be pretty crappy business. Can you imagine the cost of Apple replacing every 3G iPhone they've sold in the last 30 days, for free? What do they do with all of the used iPhones?

Your only hope is possibly for the retailer to give you a reduced price/exchange it. Find out what your return policy is; if they give you a hard time, say you want to return the phone.