Quantcast

April 15: Tiger opening - Mid Fork still closed

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
It's that time of year when our higher trails start opening back up. Tiger Mountain will be open starting Saturday, but Middle Fork Snoqualmie River Trail will remain closed.

Brian - BBTC's Trail Crew Leader said:
Check our website, http://bbtc.org, before heading out. We'll post whether the trails are open or not.

Tiger can take much more wet weather riding than Mid Fork. We've been working on Tiger trails enough that they hold up pretty well . . . for the most part.

I've been doing trail work for ten years now, I have a pretty dang good idea of what kinds of soil and trail conditions hold up well when wet.

There are several parts of the Mid Fork trail that do not hold up well in wet weather yet. I've seen hikers do damage to the trails out there and bike tires are just as bad. And even though boots do damage too (and horses do more), folks who don't like bikes on that trail will only see the tire tracks. Too bad but that's the reality. The more we can do to minimize the overblown perception that bikes are doing damage out there the better.

I think most folks that ride and/or hike a lot also know which trails can take use while wet. We count on everyone's discretion to pick trails that hold up to wet weather use.

We'll be having a series of work parties on the Mid Fork over the next few years to take care of those areas but in the meantime I ask that we all continue to use common sense when picking trails this time of year to ride on.

Thanks.
Brian
Update: I just talked with Brian on the cell phone, he's up on Tiger right now moving rock for our work party tomorrow. It's really wet - standing water on the trails.

If you want to get out for opening day but don't want to ride in the standing water you should come out and join our opening day work party. Sign up here: http://bbtc.org/recreation/calendar.php?event_id=4116

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Full? Big surprise.....

Is that stupid or what?

Lots of fresh tracks up at Alpental. It's still snow season!

We were chuckling as we drove by the turnoff in a downpour about how many people remembered to bring a dry change of clothes to Tiger today.

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
what rain? How about snow and what about those chucks of ice bangin off my helmet.....sleet.......some were pretty big.....hale stones maybe? Yes there was rain and mud but it was Tiger on opening day! Good ride and big time props to the BBTC crew putting the finishing touches on the rock wall, very impressive. :thumb: :thumb:

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Borneo said:
Full? Big surprise.....

Is that stupid or what?

Lots of fresh tracks up at Alpental. It's still snow season!

We were chuckling as we drove by the turnoff in a downpour about how many people remembered to bring a dry change of clothes to Tiger today.
Friday at ALPY was really good... Maybe thats why they called it Good Friday and gave it to us as a day off work. The bottom was like snow cones with fresh pow on top. Then once we got up to there was a ton of great untracked pow. Lots of HEAVY pow though... Took alot out of my legs. It was snowing so hard when we left. So cool to see. Guess they have at least one or 2 more weekends left...

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
We had a good BBTC work party up there on Saturday. We wanted to show off to all the opening day riders what we were doing on the NW Timber Trail. I'd personally rather be doing trail work than riding when it's really wet - but that's just me.

Next time you're riding the Timber Trail stop and check out the rock wall we've been building all winter. From the trail it doesn't look like much, but go down on the creek side and look at it - that sucker is big. One or two more work parties and we should have the trail tread finished up. Here's a pic:

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
juice said:
We had a good BBTC work party up there on Saturday. We wanted to show off to all the opening day riders what we were doing on the NW Timber Trail. I'd personally rather be doing trail work than riding when it's really wet - but that's just me.

Next time you're riding the Timber Trail stop and check out the rock wall we've been building all winter. From the trail it doesn't look like much, but go down on the creek side and look at it - that sucker is big. One or two more work parties and we should have the trail tread finished up. Here's a pic:
WOW! Nice work:thumb: Can't wait to get up there and check out the work.