Quantcast

AR-15 Build

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
So I'm probably going to order a stripped AR lower and build up a complete rifle over the next few months. Have any of you guys done this? (looking at you GFF)

I haven't done a ton of research yet, (I definitely will) but I want a bull barrel, magpul furniture, and a decent two stage trigger. I'm also toying with the idea of building it on a polymer lower. Oh and I think I'll stick with the 5.56 caliber.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
ok, heres the deal,

everyone I do a build for says the same things Hbar! bull barrel! sniper trigger! poly this and that, and every magpul wiz gidget they make, build it naow!

and I believe your build is about the same, except for an optics choice that isnt practical. usually everyone sees something on FB or online and wants the clone of that rifle. well thats cool and all if you want to drop 3 grand for something heavy and bulky.

I however try and convince them that they can still have cool and a purpose built rifle for under a grand

firs tof all lets discuss what you will be using the rifle for, long range comps? bench shooting? or just blasting milk jugs and coyotes a couple times a month when you can find or afford ammo?

9 times out of ten its the latter

stay away from poly lowers, they are nothing but a gimmick

a standard barrel will shoot just as well as any heavy target barrel out there, they all droop when they get hot.

and standard lower parts group with some TLC added before install will give you just as good as a pull as any drop in trigger set and will be a fraction of the cost. its a lazy mans game.

magpul stuff is good but not worth there prices. get on amazon and shop your plastics and you will be amazed at the stuff thats out there for half the price.

there are only two things you should really spend your money on. a good lower receiver that has limit and set screws for the trigger group (such as phoenix) and a good quality barrel. the rest is all fashion parts. dont bother with piston driven hipe, the rifles have been shooting fine since Vietnam as long as you clean them (lazy mans game)

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Awesome info GFF! Thanks! I was wondering if all of those ridiculously high priced internal parts were worth it but I guess not. I don't see very many lowers with the set screws you're talking about though.

And most of the gun shops around here only sell complete rifles so I think I'm going to have to order most of the parts (including the lower receiver) online. Do you know of any good, reasonably priced, online sources?

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
GFF, have you ever done a 7.62x39 AR build? I'm considering it. In the longrun it'll be way cheaper to shoot, it's a bigger round, and it'll be easier to find. Also, will 7.62 run in a standard mag? I've heard 300 blackout will and they're similar sized rounds. What about 5.45x39?

Building your own is a neat project (especially if you start with an 80% lower).

7.62 requires a different lower, along with almost everything else. And it will cost a lot more to build. I went with 6.8 SPC II instead for deer and hogs. 5.56 to 6.8 interchangeability requires only a different barrel, bolt, and mag.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
GFF, have you ever done a 7.62x39 AR build? I'm considering it. In the longrun it'll be way cheaper to shoot, it's a bigger round, and it'll be easier to find. Also, will 7.62 run in a standard mag? I've heard 300 blackout will and they're similar sized rounds. What about 5.45x39?
so here is the deal on wildcat cartridges, any 30 cal or 7.62 will double you price to build in order to get anything worth the accuracy and everything is a whole different ball of wax when it comes to building. I say build a couple regular rifles before trying to get crazy with the short action 30 cal stuff.

the 300 blackout is specifically designed to be loaded subsonic and used with a can. unless you have a reloading bench and a federal tax stamp on the way and are willing to drop 800 (minumum) on a can, I wouldn't even bother.

all those other rounds are getting harder and harder to even buy the ammo or even find it and even harder to reload it since the primers and powders are getting hoarded.

just wrap you head around a decent 5.56 build so you can also shoot .223 and then down the road you can buy a wildcat or exotic upper for the rifle you already have.

aixelsyd

Chimp
May 16, 2007
I have gathered all my parts together and will be starting my build this weekend. I went budget for my first one. Got an Aero upper and Lower, since I'm in a nanny state with its own AWB I went with a compliant barrel from WW. I bought some of my parts through group buys or on sale. Looking forward to getting this done and can't wait to get to the range once my sights come in.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
ill second with GFF said about polymer lowers, fancy triggers, bull bbls and most magpul furniture. i bought a polymer lower during the "scare" because of the price for $125 (with ffl transfer) and had nothing but trouble with it. so much so that the mfg sent another one which also had the same issues like the first did (mainly with any upper i tried not fitting correctly at the rear takedown and the holes for the detents not being chased properly.) i bought a few PSA and Aero lowers since then and all have been perfect.
thankfully, prices have dropped dramatically over the past few months. so much so that you can buy complete rifles for well under $800 or build you own for under $5-600. i spent around $1300 with a $400 optic during the price gouging times. the only fancy parts i have is a hammer forged bbl and MI 15" handguard

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Everyone does this a little bit differently but as for myself, I buy once and cry once. A Colt LE6920 does everything I need an AR to do, and well. You can find some crazy-good deals online from reputable dealers if you keep you eyes pealed and have a local FFL who doesn't rape you on transfers.