Quantcast

Arch support... I missed you so!

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Don't know why I ever was unfaithful to this brand. I've had 2 pairs of shoes since my last Lakes... and as soon as I put these on It felt like home. Absomutely perfect fit... and unlike most shoes, perfect arch support.

Pretty neat closure system on these as well.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
I think a properly aligned foot would be better. Check out the Alines. I've been useing them for about 5 years after I got a pinched nerve and my feet have never felt better.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
I think a properly aligned foot would be better. Check out the Alines. I've been useing them for about 5 years after I got a pinched nerve and my feet have never felt better.
I may look at some for my road shoes, I get hot spots on longer rides with them and they have zero rch support. These Lakes don't need anything though, they feel great to me as they are.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Uh, call me silly but why would a person require 'arch support' on a mountain bike?

You're riding on the ball of your foot (well, you should be), correct? If I have anatomy right, this means your arch should be flexed somewhat, and with no pressure on your heel I don't see the usefulness of an arch.

I should point out I'm a proponent of barefoot running, so I might be a little jaded.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Uh, call me silly but why would a person require 'arch support' on a mountain bike?

You're riding on the ball of your foot (well, you should be), correct? If I have anatomy right, this means your arch should be flexed somewhat, and with no pressure on your heel I don't see the usefulness of an arch.

I should point out I'm a proponent of barefoot running, so I might be a little jaded.
All I know is that my last 5 pairs of shoes gave me some hotspots on really long rides... On these I get zero. You are correct about the ball of the foot though, so I cant say as to why it helps, but it is definitely more comfortable.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
All I know is that my last 5 pairs of shoes gave me some hotspots on really long rides... On these I get zero. You are correct about the ball of the foot though, so I cant say as to why it helps, but it is definitely more comfortable.
Gotcha. Maybe it's the right last for you then. My old Shimano's gave me hotspots untill I went with their DX shoes.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Gotcha. Maybe it's the right last for you then. My old Shimano's gave me hotspots untill I went with their DX shoes.
I've not had great luck with shoes the past few years.

Last 5:
Time: Uncomfortable all around.
Spesh: slippage in the heel cup.
Shimano, highest non carbon model: Slippage in the heel cup.
Mavic: Great fit, but hotspots on big toe and ball.
Diadora: Movement in front part of foot after break in.

These Lakes are beautiful... and the Mavics are still my spares as they fit great, just start to get hotspots after really long rides. My roadies are the really high end carbon models, not as much problem with them for some reason.