Quantcast

Are 40 hr bike lights on the way?

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
http://tech.yahoo.com/news/nf/57832

They are saying that there is some new technology that will allow 40hrs of computing time on one battery... what does that mean for the future of MTB lights?

A 4hr HID with the battery built in? (ir no wires)
:clapping:

Being able to do a solo 24hr race without a recharge?
:clapping::clapping:

50wat HID's that could blind low flying planes?
:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Man, I can't wait to see what they do with this stuff!!

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
I stubled upon this earlier. Pretty cool stuff. I just hope it doesn't take 5 years for the technology to be implemented at a reasonable price.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I've heard that we're a few years away from maximum lumens (620?) per watt per LED.
That would be sick... a super bright LED that lasts 12-14 hrs (to get all the way from sun-down to sun-up) with the batttery built in.

I'd buy that in a second!!
I often want to do some LONG night rides, but the 4hr max life doesn't allow, and I'm not about to drop more $$ on a backup battery.

Monkey
I've heard that we're a few years away from maximum lumens (620?) per watt per LED.
isn't the theoretical practical limit closer to 300 lumens per watt? the 683 lumen per watt figure represents blue light, and white LEDs that we use are blue LED+yellow phosphate coating, which inhibits a lot of the output in order to make the light usable for human eyes. The most efficient frequency at which light is emitted falls outside of the wavelengths that humans are used to.

that is My thought exactly. I'd much rather reduce the weight, andthose times I need the long run time I'd carry an extra battery

But yes the Laptop/Cell phone/mobile device market is really pushing the Battery industry for the innovations.
For 24-hour racing, I don't want to stop to swap out a battery in the middle of a lap, so I'd put up with higher weight for longer burn time.

What I'd really like is for a given light to be able to purchase battery packs with different capacities according to my need.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
isn't the theoretical practical limit closer to 300 lumens per watt? the 683 lumen per watt figure represents blue light, and white LEDs that we use are blue LED+yellow phosphate coating, which inhibits a lot of the output in order to make the light usable for human eyes. The most efficient frequency at which light is emitted falls outside of the wavelengths that humans are used to.
Sounds like you know more about it than I do.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
What I'd really like is for a given light to be able to purchase battery packs with different capacities according to my need.
NiteRider's HIDs do, sort of. You have to buy a different charger too, but the light head itself is the same between the Moab and the Flight. 7.5hr burn time with a fairly large battery, or ~2.5 iirc with a f'ing tiny one.