Quantcast

Are any of you going to try the Santa Cruz challenge?

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Oh, hell yeah, like taking candy from a baby! I'm tired of Weir being the only SS'er in the spotlight. He's not the only one to set the fastest's laps at 24hr events on a single speed. :D

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Originally posted by ssaddict
Oh, hell yeah, like taking candy from a baby! I'm tired of Weir being the only SS'er in the spotlight. After all, he didn't even win the worlds when they were held in his backyard.
You my friend, are a WILD MAN!

I have no doubt at all that you will finish that ride. None whatsoever.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
entering is without risk: if you read the fine print you only go on the ride if you win the bike, which is if you are picked in the drawing. the ride itself is just a gimmick, separate from the contest for the bike...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by DßR
hell yeah. If my name comes up, I'll do it or die trying....
word.

I have a good idea of the terrain and exactly where it would be.

I'm also taking my 50lb bike out to a XC race this weekend. You could think of it as "training".

lanman

Monkey
Nov 2, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by DßR
hell yeah. If my name comes up, I'll do it or die trying....
Hell ya man!! Thats my plan!! Right now I know I can't make 80 miles, but damn it i will ride my legs off!:rolleyes:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by Damn True
I dunno guys. I know ton's of people who have once ridden with Weir. I only know two people who have ridden with him more than once.

He's a great guy but riding with him hurts real bad.
That depends on your definition of "riding with him".

My definition is the sun is setting, mark wier is having a beer in downieville, and I am somewhere on butcher ranch or some other trail....

Mark said "nice bike" to me back in 1999 woohoo.

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
Drving that long would make me tired!

Price of VP-free.................$4800

One round trip tix from Va to Ca...................$1000

Having Mark Wier give directions to the helicopter to rescue my dying and rotting carcass out of the bush......................priceless!

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Originally posted by Toshi
entering is without risk: if you read the fine print you only go on the ride if you win the bike, which is if you are picked in the drawing. the ride itself is just a gimmick, separate from the contest for the bike...
See, I don't get this - the main contest says in no uncertain terms "IF you can successfully finish the ride you will recieve a VP-free." I haven't perused the legalese, but it seems that what you're/they're saying contradicts the very plain language of the contest....:confused:

Obviously a lawyer did not review the writeup......:p

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Damn. It says if you work in the bike industry you are not eligible. I guess I'll have to go do my own wicked 10,000 ft 80 mile ride chasing a guy on a dirt bike. ;)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by peter6061
Damn. It says if you work in the bike industry you are not eligible. I guess I'll have to go do my own wicked 10,000 ft 80 mile ride chasing a guy on a dirt bike. ;)
If I win, I'll give you the plane ticket and pay you to ride behind me with a cattle prod............and then in front of me with a pint of Sammy Smith Oatmeal Stout.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by kidwoo
Thanks for reminding me though.
I have a better chance of winning than Rob in Florida because they don't have to fly me anywhere.:devil: :devil:
I was gonna ride there for a warm-up. Plus the attached picture was me with a CLEAR picture of my SC Heckler. Who's got the better chance now?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by DßR
See, I don't get this - the main contest says in no uncertain terms "IF you can successfully finish the ride you will recieve a VP-free." I haven't perused the legalese, but it seems that what you're/they're saying contradicts the very plain language of the contest....:confused:

Obviously a lawyer did not review the writeup......:p
it's right there in the rules:

http://www.mtbr.com/contest/santacruz/hellride/rules.shtml

PRIZES:
One (1) Grand Prize winner will be selected from among all eligible entries received during the Contest Period. The drawing will be held on or about Friday, May 14, 2004. The Grand Prize winner will receive a Santa Cruz Bicycles VP-Free valued at $4800.00 (US). The winners are responsible for all other expenses associated with the acceptance or use of the prize.
i trust the rules more than the flaky "description" above it

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
Originally posted by Toshi
it's right there in the rules:

http://www.mtbr.com/contest/santacruz/hellride/rules.shtml

i trust the rules more than the flaky "description" above it
That description seems incomplete though, because in the bold type above they also clearly state that:

If the chosen candidate CAN SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETE THE RIDE, they will be presented with the Santa Cruz VP-FREE mountain bike! (value: $4800.US) This is a SERIOUS CONTEST AND A SERIOUS RIDE! The chosen candidate will also receive one (1) FREE FLIGHT FROM ANY MAJOR AIRPORT in the United States(including Alaska and Hawaii) or Canada, to come to Santa Cruz, California to meet Mark, Rob Roskopp, and the Santa Cruz Bicycles gang for the ride.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
sweet...i just pre-road the 3200 vert XC course on my DH bike. Now if I win the SC thingie I'll only have to do 3x longer than I am going to do this weekend!

Yeah, something is not quite wired right in my brain.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Originally posted by Jm_
sweet...i just pre-road the 3200 vert XC course on my DH bike. Now if I win the SC thingie I'll only have to do 3x longer than I am going to do this weekend!

Yeah, something is not quite wired right in my brain.
:confused: Which one you talking about, the Whiskey 25 is 4200 and the 50 is 7400?

:( can't believe i'm missing that

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by ssaddict
:confused: Which one you talking about, the Whiskey 25 is 4200 and the 50 is 7400?

:( can't believe i'm missing that
The whisky 25 is NOT really 4200...it's about a thousand off. I have the topo maps, I actually ride those trails at least once a week, if not more. Their numbers are wrong. Furthermore, they are real easy climbs, going up copper basin road from both ways basically. I ride up these roads on my DH bike already, although the race is like doing about 2x what I normally do there, still I have done it before.

Ride from Whiskey Row to top of Trail 48, 6800-5500=1300, then you drop down to highway 89 south of town where trail 260 meets with 53 (this is the cool downhill part), then you climb on 53 and then turn right on copper basin and climb back up to the overlook, 7000-5300=1700. There's a small climb when comming back down through the Thumb Butte area on the return trip, but it is maybe 200 feet, pretty insignficant. Total climbing is about 3200.

Whisky row is at 5500 feet, south of town it's a little less, but the ride is basically going up to the "top" of the thumb butte area twice, and 7000 feet is the max elevation in thumb butte. The numbers do not add up.

You are also not missing much, the course sucks arse, there's only a few miles of single track, and in the big picture, only equates to about 33% of the actual riding, at least about 80% of that single track is straight downhill though off of mt francis. 33% is also on graded roads, and the other 33% is on paved road. They had a much better "race" here last weekend, called the "shakin your ass" race, all on single track, I couldn't go because of graduation though :( Even though I'm not registered for this whisky thing, i'm going to ride it (obviously not competatively on a DH bike :D)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
eh..i wont ride the course on the same day as the race, so i dont piss off all the riders, but i will ride it the day after, and take a lot of pics of all the hardcore pavement and graded-road riding (80% of this "race" is on some kind of road).

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Originally posted by Jm_
They had a much better "race" here last weekend, called the "shakin your ass" race, all on single track, I couldn't go because of graduation though :(
Yeah, I know :angry: Unfortunalty, I was busy last weekend too. That's the only event Jim puts on that I have yet to do. Real races and rides on real trails... not jeep road, or worse.