Quantcast

Are bulit's really THIS flexy?

CSkolnick

Chimp
Aug 30, 2004
ok, so i know single pivots have lateral play; it's inherent to the design. so when my buddy sold me his bullit at a great deal i figured i could deal with a little wiggle while i am out in BC (leaving on the 12th of august) and then pick up a new dually later on this year (something with a solid rear ie 4bar, vpp). well, i took the bike out and man, this thing is FLEXY. i feel it when cornering, when landing drops when sittin and pedalling while i wiggle the bike side to side. i looked at the main pivots thinking they were loose but to know avail, snug as can be. i then grabbbed the rear wheel and held the main frame and this thing is moving like a 1/4" side to side with not a lot of force. i grabbed just the swingarm to see if it was just a loose hub but nope, still flexing. when i pull on it and look at the main pivot it seems like it actually flexing right at the pivot bolt. my question is, are Bullits really this flexy? if so, how do they not eat through shocks like mad, or do they? if something is up, what could it be/ would replacing the bearings help? is it possible my swingarm is ovavized where the bearings press into? i was able to remove the bearing (it is a bit crunchy) and put it back in by hand, is this normal? any advice is greatly appreciated as i am leaving in one week for my DREAM trip and i need to get this sorted out. thanks!

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
my buddy goes thru a couple of shocks a year on his bullit and finally it has bit the bullit..... many, many, small cracks

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
yeah, it's a character trait of that type of single pivot (bullits, geminis). the new geminis have a swing link to keep lateral flex to a minimum, same with the as-x

If you were able to pop the bearing out by hand and slide it back in without the use of some sort of press, then I'd say this may be the culprit.

Pull the bearign out, replace it if you can, if not get some alcohol and green loc-tite.
Clean the bearing/swingarm journel interface with alcohol and then lather up the green loc tite ontot he outside of the outer bearing race and a few drops on the journel where the bearing gets "pressed".
Press in the bearing and bolt it all back together and leave it to the next day and then check your side to side flex.
I'd just be a little worried that the bearing is loose in the journel and is sliding a bit back and forth.
Sealed bearings need to be PRESSED into place...not just slide in by hand...unless of course it's a Phil hub then it's a whole different story on the feild servicable stuff...

Good Luck.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Mine doesn't flex that much.
My bearings require a lot of force (read tools, not hands) to install.
Then again, I don't abuse my Bullit, and maintain it regularly. I have never blown a shock, though my 5th is now a year old, and due for service. Don't blame the design so much as the specific frame, though there are obviously less flexy frames out there. If you want a good SP frame that doesn't flex as much, check out Orange.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
It is inherent in a badly designed single pivot, to be more precise. The oranges do not flex AT ALL at the pivot, or at the swingarm due to the way the axle is welded into the frame.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
You may also want to check other bearings (i.e. your rear hub) for adjustment. You may have broken an axle in your hub, or something else like that. Just try to narrow down the possibilities for location of the play.

odiwik

Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Take the bearings out and repress them. Make sure they are repressed properly, I can't stress this enough. Disassemble the entire frame and rebuild/relube every component you can. It will flex with a lot of force, but it shouldn't flex at all with medium to little force; you definitely shouldn't be able to feel it while riding.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Transcend said:
The oranges do not flex AT ALL at the pivot, or at the swingarm due to the way the axle is welded into the frame.
Yes they do, everything flexes. It's how much and whether it is a problem, that is the issue.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Mine is rock solid...That said, I had a devil of a time getting some play out of the shock bushings, but once I replaced all those - no problems at all...I've also had no problems blowing up shocks (and yeah, I ride the p!ss out of it for FR and DH)...

I'd also suggest that if lateral flex is a real issue with you, get some Fun Bolts in the rear...Made a significant difference in mine...Also, check the wheel build and spoke tension, as a lot of time what you're seeing is wheel flex...

And yep, like mtnbrider said, it is a good starter DH bike...

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Transcend said:
It is inherent in a badly designed single pivot, to be more precise. The oranges do not flex AT ALL at the pivot, or at the swingarm due to the way the axle is welded into the frame.
well having a 12mm thru axle helps, using a bolt-on 10mm for the Bullit will help alot. Also bearing quality and play is a big issue; some act like spherical bearings compared to others.

That welded axle isnt a very big advantage if the axle/frame interface is tight enough

dhpunk~

Chimp
Jan 23, 2005
Canada
certainly check your spoke tention, loose spokes all around make for a funny feeling from behind! just as others have mentioned, if you dont have a solid bolt on a hub already, get one......will make a huge difference.

as for single pivot interface..... im all about the replaceable type http://www.morewoodbikes.com/spi.html nothing but quality from Peter, you must see the Izumi Factory DH frame.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
zedro said:
well having a 12mm thru axle helps, using a bolt-on 10mm for the Bullit will help alot. Also bearing quality and play is a big issue; some act like spherical bearings compared to others.

That welded axle isnt a very big advantage if the axle/frame interface is tight enough
That is a good point, but it even makes a difference on the through axle patriots and such. It wouldn't be half as good on a 223 without a 12mm axle however, i agree.

The bullit is fine as a first bike, but if you are afraid of flex, or just don;t like it...it probably isn't the bike for you.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
mcA896 said:
yeah, it's a character trait of that type of single pivot (bullits, geminis). the new geminis have a swing link to keep lateral flex to a minimum, same with the as-x
my gemni has been solid since i got it. feels a flex-free as my friends vpfree

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Hello This is my first reply here at Ridemonkey...... The Flexy Bullit Caught my eye. I Work at Yucapia Bike Center and We are a Santa Cruz /Trek dealer.
Bullits Do have some natural flex But what you are describing sounds like the rear suspension needs an overhaul and possibly a new swingarm. They like to come apart and crack right in the Middle on the lower section right in front of the tire. Its really hard to see it But after some ride time eventually itll get a crack there. Good Luck to you Hope all works out in the End
________
WASHINGTON MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES

Last edited:

Dirt Merchant

Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
Hilton, NY
I'm lovin' this thread. The Bullitt is an amazing bike: I trim
mine out for road (yes, road) riding, and can also deck it out for
serious DH. I've ridden skateparks, and can manual on it for miles,
(regardless of what I've read on this forum lately). Obviously if you
race DH, you'll want a DH race bike; but if you ride everything, the
Bullitt has got it all going on, friends!

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I forgot to mention that I have a Bill Woodman Xtreme rear hub that is a 12mm axle w/ 10mm slots that bolt on quite solidly. That probably helps with my perceived lack of flex on my Bullit a lot. I also take care of my wheels. I do think it's funny how biased some people are to simply label it as a flawed, flexy design and move on, when the problem with this guy's large amount of flex isn't from the design, but from abuse/lack of maintenance, or possibly a less-than-bomber rear hub. I hear a ton of noisy bikes every time I go to Whistler, but I don't blame it on the frame being a noisy monocoque Norco. It's because people don't know how to adjust their bike; the monocoque just magnifies the sound. So it is painfully clear: The problem isn't inherently with the Bullit frame design so much as it is with something wrong due to abuse or neglect; the design just magnifies the problem more than other frames.

Uruk-hai

Monkey
Oct 13, 2004
The 'Quah
I noticed flex in mine, too, but probably not as much as you have described. I get a vague "wag" in various situations that surprised me at first and still doesn't inspire confidence at times. I might be kinda big as far as mtn bikers go (200+ lbs) so that probably has a lot to do with it, too. But I was surprised to feel that flex after hearing about how great the Bullit is (not that it isn't a good bike).

dhpunk~

Chimp
Jan 23, 2005
Canada
mtnbrider said:
THat 7" morewood is awsome. Does anyon know how much it is.
give Richard or Margo a shout 1-828-687-0788, they deal Morewood within the U.S (N. Carolina) and are super friendly to deal with.

Darryl

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
There is some flex in the rear obviously.

Get a cheap BMX 10mm Bolt on Axle. And check the wheels. I have never blown a shock on my Bullit. Just take care of the frame w/ maint. And do the same for the shock. Once a year is all that is required. Great bikes.

Shouldn't hold you back freeriding. Possibly just racing.

That being said the Morewood is pretty impressive looking. What is the track record of those frames ? How new are they ? :thumb:

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I think I saw the Morewood team, if there is such a thing, at Whistler. A bunch of people (boys and girls) riding on various Morewood frames, all sticking together. Sweet looking frames, but someone will have to point out to me how their middle bike is different from a Bullit (let me guess - it's stiffer). Their big bike just looks like an uber-Bullit. Sure, they're new, and even cool looking, but what's so great other than that? I'm not knocking them, just skeptical of hype.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
erikkellison said:
Sure, they're new, and even cool looking, but what's so great other than that? I'm not knocking them, just skeptical of hype.
well in that case whats so special about Oranges then (other than the fact Fraser gets a free six-pack every year....)