Quantcast

Are crown races all the same size?

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
Wondering if i can just order a crown race seperate, or do I need the exact type for the headset I have? ( 08 glory with e13 zero stack reducer on the bottom and a cane creek headset but its missing the crown race..)

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
so your saying I need the exact crown race that came with the headset or a whole new headset with everything

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
You should be able to order a Cane creek lower race by it's self.

I am saying that, say you have a tank headset a 110 lower race probably will not work.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
There are several different types (aside from the obvious 1" 1 1/8" 1.5") depending on the bearing. Your lower bearing is the standard 'IS' bearings (36* inner bevel) that is used by both FSA and CC for all their IS headsets.

at the very least, these are all compatible (some could be aluminum vs steel, or split)

CC
IS-3
IS-8

FSA
orbit IS
orbit IS carbon
orbit IS ceramic
orbit IS CX

I am sure there are more (CC does not list their bearings like FSA does) but you certainly can get something off this list via CC, FSA, Or many LBS or mail order joints.

Last edited:

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
hm ya the shop told me I couldnt order just the cane creek crown race, he said there were other cheaper ones... but he said I would need the cane creek one

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
the shop said they have these listed

the only one listed is for IS2, IS6, S2, S6, Tank Jump or for the 110 model

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Any core roadie shops in town? They would be more likely to have something...just ask if they have an 'integrated headset' crown race...

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
so an IS-2 or IS-6 wouldnt work? they shop said they could get those crown races as they were listed in the book, and how could I tell what exact headset I have it just says cane creek on top

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
They should, but I am apprehensive to say 'Yes'....here is why.

THe s2, is2, s6 and is6 headsets are older numbers. At one time they were standard, in line 1 1/8 (IIRC)headsets. BUT, if you search for the part numbers however, you get results that list them as 1" headsets more often than not. Not sure if this is a distributor/documentation error or what (they all use the same verbage and pics off of QBP) .... A 1" crown race will NOT fit.....

Since these part numbers are not current, CC does not keep specs or data sheets on old product, they have been listed as both 1 1/8" and 1", and CC does not specifically list the bearings type in each headset..... it is a bit of gamble IMO.

IF you can find the IS2/IS6 crown race for a 1 1/8..... it should fit as the 1 1/8 versions used the 36/45 bearing AFAIK.

You have a 'IS' (integrated standard) headset for a 1 1/8 steer tube. They are all 'the same', no matter the name it sold under.

Last edited: