Quantcast

Are custom ringtones not the biggest online scam ever?

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
So I got a new phone the other day and activated the internet service since it is free for a couple of months. I decided to check out ringtones and wallpaper through Sprint, I figured there might be some free stuff out there. I was just going to buy a data cable and do it myself, but figured I would save the $20.

Each and every download they had available was like $2 or 2.50 + tax and just to add insut to injury, they delete themselves after 90 days! Not only that but I did a search for "free" and even the "free" ones, were still like $2...

It is funny how you pay a premium for a service, but they still nickel and dime you for every thing they can. :rolleyes:

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
sprint's a little bitch like that. good thing i keep my phone on vibrate.

i wish i could create my own ring tones.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
the Inbred said:
sprint's a little bitch like that. good thing i keep my phone on vibrate.

i wish i could create my own ring tones.
Ditto on the vibrate. I hate sitting there and having someone's phone blare out a ****ty rendition of mozart or something like that.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Yeah, Mine is staying on vibrate and silent for now. I get a Cingular discount at my new job so hopefully I can ditch Qwest once and for all.

Although with the recent NSA debacle I am not sure that I want to.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I can down load mine from some vendors on Verizon, plus they have the real some versions. My ring tones are............. Iron Maiden -The Trooper, Alice in Chains - Them Bones, Pantera - Cemetery Gates and Mudvayne - Forget to remember

J

JRB

As annoying as I must be here, I keep my phone on vibrate most times. I do turn the ringer on when I ride, so Julie can find me if there's a problem with Caroline. Do us all a favor and forego ring tones.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Tenchiro said:
It is funny how you pay a premium for a service, but they still nickel and dime you for every thing they can. :rolleyes:
As the others said, vibrate. I never have understood the need to proclaim one's presence and crappy taste in music by putting the cell phone on the loudest setting possible at all times. I will admit that at least the playing quality of the music is tolerable now.

Vibrate is where it is at though. It is free and it feels good :agree:

The Ito

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
...and yet, people pay. All the time. Because God Forbid their phone not have the latest lame-ass Nelly lyric spew from the tinny, distorted speaker every time someone wants to buy a gram of coke.

J

JRB

binary visions said:
...and yet, people pay. All the time. Because God Forbid their phone not have the latest lame-ass Nelly lyric spew from the tinny, distorted speaker every time someone wants to buy a gram of coke.
Great generalization. :rolleyes:

I do hate them all though.

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
Do people really care how their phones sound when they ring? :confused:
For some reason, yes. I have no idea why. I don't even know how to get ring tones though.

*I will add that I just learned that there is a Washington Nationals baseball team the day before yesterday though, so I am not really up on new things.

J

JRB

I Are Baboon said:
I use two ring options: Vibrate, and the loudest goddamn ring for those times I'm in the car and have the radio blasting. :)
I still don't hear it. I used to have a megaphone of a ring when I farmed and I still wouldn't hear it ring in my shirt pocket. That is why I use vibrate.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
How can something you pay for delete itself after 90 days? That just seems wrong....

I have a cool deftones ring i use for an alarm, but its not loud enough for a ring tone.... so I picked the most obnoxious one thats stock onthe phone...

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
oly said:
How can something you pay for delete itself after 90 days? That just seems wrong....
It sucks but since people buy into it and it is most likely pure profit for them, they get away with it.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
loco said:
For some reason, yes. I have no idea why. I don't even know how to get ring tones though.

*I will add that I just learned that there is a Washington Nationals baseball team the day before yesterday though, so I am not really up on new things.
Did you get running water yet?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I find the annoyance of you peoples' bitching around here to be far worse than that of ringtones.

I have sprint and get a free download each month...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My wife bought me my first phone over the weekend. She was online last night looking at lame ass ring tones for it. I told her, "you know what would be great? If it sounded like a phone ringing when someone calls!"

She failed to see the humor/sense in the concept. I keep it on vibrate.

J

JRB

BurlyShirley said:
I find the annoyance of you peoples' bitching around here to be far worse than that of ringtones.

I have sprint and get a free download each month...
May as well have a trendy phone to go with that bad boy tat. :thumb:

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
MtnBikerChk said:
I can (and have) create my own and basically email them to my phone.

My current ring tone is "Peanut butter jelly time" lol

Yes, the ones to purchase are a total scam.
:thumb:

I swear, one of these days I will become tech savvy enough to email my ringtone to my phone. As of right now though, I'll have to settle for the "record" feature and associated distortion.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
Tenchiro said:
So I got a new phone the other day and activated the internet service since it is free for a couple of months. I decided to check out ringtones and wallpaper through Sprint, I figured there might be some free stuff out there. I was just going to buy a data cable and do it myself, but figured I would save the $20.

Each and every download they had available was like $2 or 2.50 + tax and just to add insut to injury, they delete themselves after 90 days! Not only that but I did a search for "free" and even the "free" ones, were still like $2...

I make my own, one of the many nice things about having a Treo

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
reflux said:
:thumb:

I swear, one of these days I will become tech savvy enough to email my ringtone to my phone. As of right now though, I'll have to settle for the "record" feature and associated distortion.
you need a phone which can support this. there's a free service to do this, but my phone didn't work w/ it.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Transcend said:
Rogers in Canada gives away a new tone every month. My phone sounds like a telephone. You know, it rings like a bell and stuff, imagine that!
i love the tone that sounds like a mechanical ringer in an old-school rotary phone (assuming thats the one you have) - some decent polyphonic cells pull it off pretty convincingly.

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
For my wife's phone I just went to wal-mart's website and downloaded a couple of their 30 second preview clips of songs that she likes. They I just push them to the phone via bluetooth.

Couldn't find much on there that I wanted as a tone, so I just put my own mp3s on my phone.

Vibrate is good at work or in public, but if I'm in my car and the radio's up I like to have something I can hear pretty easily. (Although once in a while at work I forget to set the phone to silent and my phone will start playing Jurassic 5's "What's Golden" for the whole building to hear. :rofl: )

J

JRB

Makin' their way, the only way they know how. That's just a little bit more than the law will allow. :thumb:

I put some thought into it, and this is not the biggest online scam ever though.