Quantcast

Are Egg Beaters any good for the road?

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I've been riding my mountain bike with a set of Candies and I want to use the same shoes for both the road and mountain. I've heard good things about egg beaters too and think they might be good because I don't need the platform of the candies. I heard from someone that egg beaters can cause problems for road biking because all your weight is on a small section of the foot and can cause a "hot spot." Anyone experience this? I know pedals are very subjective, but any suggestions?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
They work fine, as long as you use stiff soled shoes. All my bikes have eggbeaters on them, and I have a pair of road shoes setup with the CB road cleats.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
One thing: Freddy Rodriguez raced a season on a pair of Egg Beaters.

And don't forget about the Quattro:

J

JRB

Hot spots are caused by not so good soles and a poor fit on your bike. Eggs will be fine. I ride Time Atacs and they don't have any platform. I guess it's a little bit of one, but not much.

J

JRB

bluebug32 said:
Can these be used with any shoe? Mine have some cleat to them
Some yes - others no. Plenty of people ride eggbeaters. Don't sweat it. Just get the eggs. That's better than finding out your shoes won't work.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
bluebug32 said:
I guess what I'm asking is what's the disadvantage of candies for road riding?
My stupid attempt at humor aside, the older Candy model wasn't full bling, i.e. Ti everywhere. I believe the Quattro was.

Also the Quattro is lighter by 30 grams (whoopee).

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
the quatro has a lower Q factor than the candies do. if you've already got a set of candies just switch them back and fourth. if you don't feel like doing that, well then buy another set of eggbeaters.