Quantcast

are iPhones *really* worth it, or is there a droid/google alternative that's better?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
not everyone wants to carry around a tablet sized phone in their pocket.granted a larger screened iphone would be nice but having something that might be 10.6" square probably doesnt do it for most people. plus, to help cut down on weight, they put a paper thin back plate on it which i see myself destroying.

i do agree that they should have their IOS on other styles of phones. id love a rugged phone like the Casio JizzedOne Commando running on IOS
Screen size is almost double, but the form factor isn't *that* much bigger:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Screen size is almost double, but the form factor isn't *that* much bigger:
Plus the S3 is 5% lighter and about 10% thinner than the 4S so lighter, thinner, and less dense. I've never had a problem with the thin back plates on other phones - you carry them around attached and supported on the back of the phone. Also most people have protective cases regardless of phone brand.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I just picked up a Galaxy S3 at lunch. So far it's pretty awesome. Coming from a BB the size will take some getting used to (that's what she said!) but from a functionality standpoint I'm impressed.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'd like to point out for the record that these three graphs show that Android is throwing hardware at the problem of battery life rather than optimizing its usage. More Wh but equivalent to lesser performance means they're eating through power like candy.

That said, I'm totally open to an Android phone in the future. My wife's and my iPhone 4(s-as-in-plural, not 4S) are soon to be off contract. It's just that I didn't care for the Android offerings last time I looked, which admittedly was two years ago now.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Regarding Stinkle's story - the prices on those phones would be of minimal value to start since they are not present generation Samsung smartphones - you can get them for free often prior to the verdict. The S3 isn't named in the case either. The case will be appealed as the jury didn't follow instructions:

Why the Apple v. Samsung Ruling May Not Hold Up

Note you don't have to use the default browser (and with 4.1 that would instead be chrome) so that can drastically change the results. It also depends on if its plain android or not, location services on, do-not-track enabled etc etc. You can use better browsers and add-ons to save data and/or power via server-side solutions like Opera or client-side via firefox mobile with ad block plus. I have a crappy basic android phone several generation old with juicedefender and my battery use is typically 30% (70% left) after a full day when I plug it in at night to recharge. If you note the battery life in phone calls, the times match the battery size (the GIII and other current generation phones like the One X are not in that test graph). The Nexus S and iPhone 4S have similar size batteries and talk time.

PC Mag does have the newer phones which mirror that trend:
PC Mag tested talk time:
Verizon S3 10 hours, 43 minutes
Verizon Razr Maxx 16 hours, 45 minutes
ATT One X 9 hours and 9 minutes
Sprint 4S 7 hours, 33 minutes
Sprint Nexus 7 hours, 33 minutes
Sprint EVO 4G LTE 6 hours and 22 minutes

Last edited:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i just got an iPhone 4s w/ my new job.

coming from an Android, there are some things I am not used to.

1 - when using the maps app (ie, navigation), is it possible to zoom in/move around from the 'normal' screen, instead of having to go to Overview and then zoom in?

2 - when you install an app, shouldn't it just land as an icon on your home page/desktop? that's the case for all the apps I've installed except for Facebook...any clues there?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Sometimes I have to toggle the uninstall/reinstall checkbox in iTunes before a new app will show its face. They show up by default on the last page of apps that you have.

If you're using Apple Maps I have no idea to the answer to your first query. Install Google Maps and call it a day? :D

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
well then, i'm fine w/ my 5

it's been powered on since i first bought it back in october. uptime of over 5 mos rivals most blade centers

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
issues i have with my 4S......never ending updates for apps.

should it really take a week or more for a app to update?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
i just got an iPhone 4s w/ my new job.

coming from an Android, there are some things I am not used to.

1 - when using the maps app (ie, navigation), is it possible to zoom in/move around from the 'normal' screen, instead of having to go to Overview and then zoom in?
I had to switch an iphone after moving to alaska, due to no verizon internet up here:

Rule number 1. The maps suck. They all suck. Even the google maps on the iphone suck. They just suck less than the apple maps that will make you drive off a dock into the sea. The map in my droid was exactly like on my computer at home, able to overlay stuff like wikipedia and all sorts of other things, link to helpful summaries, and so on. The android map app for iphone finally gives you decent driving instructions, like any top-brand GPS, but still blows overall.

There are some quirks with the iphone, it's not my favorite ever. It's also not bad.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
my 5 has been great since i got it for $60ish from radio shack after trading in my 4. the only problem is since im outside in the cold all day, the battery doesnt last more then 5-6hrs...which is what they said would happen

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I had to switch an iphone after moving to alaska, due to no verizon internet up here:

Rule number 1. The maps suck. They all suck. Even the google maps on the iphone suck. They just suck less than the apple maps that will make you drive off a dock into the sea. The map in my droid was exactly like on my computer at home, able to overlay stuff like wikipedia and all sorts of other things, link to helpful summaries, and so on. The android map app for iphone finally gives you decent driving instructions, like any top-brand GPS, but still blows overall.

There are some quirks with the iphone, it's not my favorite ever. It's also not bad.

when using google maps on the iPhone, how does one get the traffic layer to show up? I hear it's possible but damned if i can figure it out.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I have a iPhone 5 for my personal and a Galaxy S3 for work. I absolutely hate the S3 and would never ever buy one after getting to use it. To each their own though.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I still don't get what you need a removable battery for? Who is constantly taking out their battery? Well, I guess you do need it to reset an android phone when it locks up.

Not once since I have owned a smartphone have I needed to buy a replacement battery. Seem to last 2 years plus just fine...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I still don't get what you need a removable battery for? Who is constantly taking out their battery? Well, I guess you do need it to reset an android phone when it locks up.

Not once since I have owned a smartphone have I needed to buy a replacement battery. Seem to last 2 years plus just fine...
So when the battery dies you can just pop in a charged one and continue whatever you're doing? Instead of worrying/carrying a charger everywhere you go...

It also makes the discussion about "battery life" irrelevant. Get a couple spare batteries and all of a sudden your smartphone "battery life" is days instead of hours.

It just seems like a really simple requirement to meet when it comes to a phone.

This also begs the question - what do you do when an iPhone *really* locks up? Since you can't remove the battery... what to do?

Last edited:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder

my Droid Razr (not the Maxx w/ the larger battery) has a pretty bad battery life after 1 year of use.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Anyone else drooling over the fact that the S4 comes with an IR bulb on it, allowing you to turn it into a universal remote? Considering you can spend a *lot* of money on a touch-screen universal remote, incorporating all of that into a phone seems to have as big of an impact on the remote market as the integration of the GPS did for satellite navigation makers.

Now I'm second-guessing my plan to get a Nexus 4...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Anyone else drooling over the fact that the S4 comes with an IR bulb on it, allowing you to turn it into a universal remote? Considering you can spend a *lot* of money on a touch-screen universal remote, incorporating all of that into a phone seems to have as big of an impact on the remote market as the integration of the GPS did for satellite navigation makers.

Now I'm second-guessing my plan to get a Nexus 4...
If your TV is not too old many of TV with built-in networking/wifi have smartphone apps that don't require IR like Samsung, LG, etc. Of course that doesn't help with your cable box and other equipment.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

So when the battery dies you can just pop in a charged one and continue whatever you're doing? Instead of worrying/carrying a charger everywhere you go...

It also makes the discussion about "battery life" irrelevant. Get a couple spare batteries and all of a sudden your smartphone "battery life" is days instead of hours.
this. i have a spare for my nexus. being able to just swap out instead of panicking over a low battery is an awesome feeling.

edit: the only android devices I have that still "lock up" are ones that are first and second gen hardware running the latest version of android (4.2.x) via CM9 / CM10. Even my wife's S3 never locks up.

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
a better feeling is having your sh|t together
I'm just thinking of those cases like maybe you're using your phone for the GPS... and riding all day or something... and listening to music, and taking a few calls. Are you really going to take a solar charger along on your ride? Or a couple $8 batteries that weight 1oz each?

It just seems like such a *simple* requirement to meet. I have trouble understanding why Apple still continues with the non-replaceable battery model. :confused:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
You people with the replaceable batteries like to make it out to be a bigger deal than it actually is to 99.999% of the public.

Whenever I know I am going to need some portable power, I grab this:

Plus, will easily charge a gopro, ipod anything else USB. Way better investment than another battery for a phone...

Last edited:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
unless you're on a 5 day hut trip (in which case, you do that to UNPLUG from the world, not stay tethered to it like a teenager), there's no excuse to run out of juice.

make sure you're charged up before each event

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You people with the replaceable batteries like to make it out to be a bigger deal than it actually is to 99.999% of the public.

Whenever I know I am going to need some portable power, I grab this:

Plus, will easily charge a gopro, ipod anything else USB. Way better investment than another battery for a phone...
roflcopter. sure, that might make sense if you're carrying half a dozen different devices, but for those of us who just carry a phone, a spare battery makes a lot more sense.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
unless you're on a 5 day hut trip (in which case, you do that to UNPLUG from the world, not stay tethered to it like a teenager), there's no excuse to run out of juice.

make sure you're charged up before each event
fwiw, i charge my phone probably 3 times on an average day. then again, on an average day i stream anywhere from 6 to 8 hours of music.