Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
narlus said:
coffee on monitor.
Mission Accomplished.

I gotta get one of these boogers soon.
That whopping $25 gift certificate I got from my cheap relative at Christmas is burning a hole in my pocket.

I do have one question. Are there other 4g or higher flash players that have a screen like the Nano? It does not have to be as big, but one that provides the same amount of info.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I don't remember exactly what the Nano displayed on its screen but these screens are decent sized and they're an especially good price right now:

2gb Sandisk Sansa, $122.99

Doesn't meet the 4gb requirement, Jeremy, but they make a 4gb model. Posting the link for those looking for something smaller.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Echo said:
You need to qualify that statement with something like "except for Bud, Coors, Miller, etc"
No, to be in line with this thread, you need to make it a rigid, inflexible, brand-loyal statement of a mass-appeal brand like, "Sam Adams is the be all, end all"...

;)

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
SkaredShtles said:
Who has the time to actually spell out all of the exceptions? Not me, for sure.................. :p
Yeah I got about 5% of the list of sucky beers going and decided it was too much work :D

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
binary visions said:
No, to be in line with this thread, you need to make it a rigid, inflexible, brand-loyal statement of a mass-appeal brand like, "Sam Adams is the be all, end all"...

;)
Well they definitely were a big part of bringing beer with flavor to the mainstream. I haven't had a Sam in forever though. Sounds like a good activity for this weekend.

(hijack in progress)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I've got a creative nomad zen. It's got a 40gb drive which will only be filled upon many requests to access NARLUS' music collection. I hate that stupid touch pad on ipods and once the battery goes........you need to send it in. These are replacable. I know some of them had issues with the headphone jacks at first but mine's been going for 2 years. I may have gotten the "revised" ones. I dig it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Echo said:
Well they definitely were a big part of bringing beer with flavor to the mainstream. I haven't had a Sam in forever though. Sounds like a good activity for this weekend.

(hijack in progress)
Well, like iPods (warning, thread going back on track), I have no problem with Sam Adams as a beer. I quite enjoy it, actually. It's not the be all, end all, though.

That said, last I knew the local grocery store had a sale on Sam Adams Boston Lager 12 packs (phew, back off track again), and that's sounding pretty delicious right now. Perhaps I will pick up one of those for the weekend as well. I've been doing screwdrivers and cape codders for the last few football games.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
kidwoo said:
I've got a creative nomad zen. It's got a 40gb drive which will only be filled upon many requests to access NARLUS' music collection.
my DVD burner's ready to go, just tell me what you want.

or get a DC++ connection going and find me on various hubs.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
I picked up my iPod off eBay a couple of years ago, so it's fairly old-school. At the time it was still pretty fresh and hadn't gotten all the publicity the iPod has now, I mainly got it because I'm a bit of a Mac-head. Bias aside, I think it's a GREAT mp3 player. I listen to it everyday and my only wish were that the battery lasted longer. I have no complaints.

If I were to get an iPod today I would go for the Nano. Sure there are plenty of other players out on the market, but there's a reason why the iPod is so popular.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Acadian said:
that do not get the FM transmitter tho - all my friends that got one ended up getting the digital cassette thing. The transmitter isn't that clear.
I have the FM transmitter and I think it works great. I can use it in my cubicle too, since all the electrical disturbance in the building seriously limits my radio station choices. The iPod comes in crystal clear though with the iTrip. I am on my second transmitter though. The first one I had magically stopped working one day. :rolleyes:

and who the hell has a cassette player in their car? :confused: :D

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
MMike said:
Are ipods the be all,end all?

My bro has an ipod mini, whick he swears by. He dislikes the nano because it's too flimsy. the mini is an actual hard drive and the nano is a memory stick....or something. But since the Mini is no more, is there another player out there? I only ever hear talk of ipods
Would you consider a Santa Cruz Bullit the be all, end all mountain bike or are there a bunch of other good bikes out there? :think:

Both categories have multiple "good" options. Neither has a be-all, end-all option. Do research, go out and use the players at the local stores, buy whatever you like and / or your research tells you too.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
my thoughts on the ipod:

a) hardware quality is variable. i went through 3 broken ipod photos since august 2005, for instance, with none of them dying a traumatic death.

b) apple's support of the product is SUPERB, and this is important. those 3 broken ipods were replaced under warranty by apple in person/immediately at the local apple store. and the third was replaced with an ipod video, again at no charge. :) oh, and did i mention that there are something like 5 apple stores within 20 miles of me? much nicer to have support that way than to send it back to iriver in taiwan or california or wherever they do their thing.

c) itunes is a good way to organize music and videos, and the itunes music store is a very attractive offering because of its elegance, ease, and non-draconian drm policies.

d) the ipod video's ability to play, well, videos, seems rather stupid until you try it. i've been watching family guy episodes on my daily bus rides to and from school, and it's a great way to pass the time.

e) other players force you to do a lot of work. i personally would rather pick what playlists to sync with my mp3 player (ipod method) than drag files and folders onto it, then run an application to sync the database to be able to browse by genre or the like (method common to others).

when combined with apple's competitive pricing, at least for educational customers (10% discount), the choice was and is a no-brainer for me.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
toshi, did you also purchase the AppleCare program w/ the iPod? seems like that is a necessary accessory. :rolleyes:

one very interesting thing i've noticed.

not ONE iPod enthusiast/cult member has mentioned sound quality....isn't that the PRIMARY purpose of these things? i suppose if you are content to listen @ 128 kbps or so, it doesn't really matter, but i can unequivocally state that my Rio sounds far superior to my iPod (and can also support FLAC playback, if you want total lossless).

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
NEVER!

:D

btw, i do like iTunes as a Music Manager (i use it w/o the iPod) but it can be a real memory hog. plus it's pretty inefficient. the database file for a 20GB iPod is actually a fair bit larger than the DC++ database file for my ~450GB worth of files on my PC.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
narlus said:
toshi, did you also purchase the AppleCare program w/ the iPod? seems like that is a necessary accessory. :rolleyes:
the standard warranty is 1 year...
narlus said:
one very interesting thing i've noticed.

not ONE iPod enthusiast/cult member has mentioned sound quality....isn't that the PRIMARY purpose of these things? i suppose if you are content to listen @ 128 kbps or so, it doesn't really matter, but i can unequivocally state that my Rio sounds far superior to my iPod (and can also support FLAC playback, if you want total lossless).
how do you quantify "far superior" sound quality? did brian hcm #1 brainwash you and cause you to forget how proper tests are done? :P

i am perfectly satisfied with my ipod's sound quality. then again (as crowed about elsewhere) i do run it with a headroom total airhead headphone amp and sennheiser hd600 cans. would it sound better if a rio was driving the amp? maybe, but again, how do you test this?

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
laura said:
i accidentally washed my shuffle the other day, and dried it on tumble high heat and it still works like a charm.
I did the same thing but unfortunately mine stopped working. But apple didn't care and gave me a new one anyway.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
oh. and FLAC support is only for dirty hippies and concert tapers

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
so you don't care about the average sound?

btw, distortion on the iPod is also really bad if the volume's up towards maximum (if you are playing in a car, and have the car's player volume turned low, and the unit's turned up; the Karma can be fully turned up w/o this distortion).

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
narlus said:
so you don't care about the average sound?

btw, distortion on the iPod is also really bad if the volume's up towards maximum (if you are playing in a car, and have the car's player volume turned low, and the unit's turned up; the Karma can be fully turned up w/o this distortion).
so keep the sound at a reasonable level on the iPod and turn the car stereo up...why stress the iPod?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Toshi said:
oh. and FLAC support is only for dirty hippies and concert tapers

i think dirty hippies are still using SHN.

actually, w/ hard drives getting larger and cheaper, one can easily envision the day when a big lossless library on a player is very easy to achieve.

and if you like listening to live music, gapless playback (not supported by iPod) is also very nice.

ps - i knew that 'unequivocal' was gonna catch yr attention :D but there's a very clear difference between the same mp3 played through my stereo, and whether the iPod or Karma is playing it. and i'm not that picky about sound quality (ie, 192 VBR is my standard).