Quantcast

Are ipods the be all,end all?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i use it listen to music at 192VBR-ish while on loud busses and around a loud campus. not critique chord structure and tonal harmony. and it is nice to look at.

--edit--

i have nothing to compare it to except what i have here at home, and my 6yr old MD player.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
:rolleyes:

That's fine if all you use it for is to drown out background noise, but it's an audio device for cripes sake. It's only purpose in life is to play music. Sound quality is a pretty significant measurement of a device's ability to play music well.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
binary visions said:

That's fine if all you use it for is to drown out background noise, but it's an audio device for cripes sake. It's only purpose in life is to play music. Sound quality is a pretty significant measurement of a device's ability to play music well.
i think we hit on the root of the issue.

"it shore is purty"

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
the Inbred said:
i use it listen to music at 192VBR-ish while on loud busses and around a loud campus. not critique chord structure and tonal harmony. and it is nice to look at.
Same situation for me im not that picky with quality unless it is obviously horrible. In the case of the ipod, its def not horrible, sounds fine to me.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
narlus said:
i think we hit on the root of the issue.

"it shore is purty"

But don't you think that is true with allot of stuff, aesthetics help, I don't buy stuff I think is an ugly pile and I doubt you do either.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
agreed; just take a look at my response to N8's houses. :blah:

otoh, if i were to buy a new TV or a set of speakers, looks wouldn't be my primary concern.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
you should know by now that SS and myself probably care the least about our personal cars than anyone else on here.

did you buy that Audi?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I'm with Narlus and BV on this one. iPods are for the goldfish. If you can read, you should use that ability and buy a player that works well as a player, not as a fashion accesory with short battery life.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
narlus said:
you should know by now that SS and myself probably care the least about our personal cars than anyone else on here.

did you buy that Audi?
I didnt know that, never really noticed much a guess...

No, i didnt buy the Audi, decided to keep my vr6 jetta with lower miles and alot less potential for high repair bills, and get my career off the ground. Look at the s4 as a figurative ipod nano and the jetta the iriver :dead: . I figure in 4 years i can buy a new s4 :drool: :drool: :drool:

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
binary visions said:

pretty significant, yes. but was it my primary concern? no.

does the sound quality of my Nano suck? not to my ears. but i didn't get my Nano strictly because of its sound quality. i got it because when it was released, it was the only 2g player on the market and it was/ is small. since the sound quality didn't suck, i didn't return it.

if all i was concerned with was sound quality, i would've rearranged my priorities, would not have bought $40 headphones, and would rip at a higher bitrate. simple as that. i'm not an Apple fanboy, and even i think you guys are being a little dramatic.

if i would've gone for a HD based player, i know i would not have purchased an iPod. i like the iAudio offerings.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
manhattanprjkt83 said:
I didnt know that, never really noticed much a guess...

No, i didnt buy the Audi, decided to keep my vr6 jetta with lower miles and alot less potential for high repair bills, and get my career off the ground. Look at the s4 as a figurative ipod nano and the jetta the iriver :dead: . I figure in 4 years i can buy a new s4 :drool: :drool: :drool:
Not trying to be a geek here (but I am being one so..), but the iRivers generally have better battery life, better sound quality, no DRM, drag and drop file management, rip direct to mp3 from line in, support more formats at higher bit rates and are generally technically superior products. So shouldn't the iRiver be the s4? :)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Changleen said:
Not trying to be a geek here (but I am being one so..), but the iRivers generally have better battery life, better sound quality, no DRM, drag and drop file management, rip direct to mp3 from line in, support more formats at higher bit rates and are generally technically superior products. So shouldn't the iRiver be the s4? :)
kill yourself ;)

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
I didn't bother reading the entire thread, so perhaps someone has already mentioned this...I just bought the Toshiba Gigabeat 40 gig player...which has turned out to be 10X better than anything by Mac in my opinion. To start, it operates on a windows based processing system, has a larger LCD screen, allows for multitasking (looking at pictures/videos/music/documents simultaneously(well not pictures and videos, but you get the idea). Also, It works with a whole variety of music library programs including the most recent Windows Media player. Also I have noticed it to be far more durable, attractive(IMO), and cheaper versus similar models of the Ipod. I also notice a cleaner picture and sound quality than that of the Ipod from what I can tell.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
axlvid23 said:
I have noticed it to be far more durable, attractive(IMO), and cheaper versus similar models of the Ipod. I also notice a cleaner picture and sound quality than that of the Ipod from what I can tell.
does it give you a reacharound and say that it loves you, too?

also, as a public service announcement: Apple is the company. Apple makes computers called Macs, and mp3 players called iPods. "Mac" doesn't make any iPods, unless there is some taiwanese guy by that name in the factory.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Changleen said:
and they break a lot (although ipods do, too, i suppose), have no local support, don't work well on macs (no database updating when i checked a year ago), and are bigger/uglier. and why again do i want to manage my mp3s via drag and drop?